College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Looks as if Mizzou will be ditching its long-time Block-M helmet logo in favor of the Tiger head mark. This from the Columbia Daily Tribune's Mizzou football beat writer Dave Matter who just returned from today's Tiger QB Club luncheon:

Missouri and Nike will unveil the school's new branding images and uniforms on April 14, the day of the Black and Gold spring scrimmage. Missouri is keeping a tight lid on details for the new threads, but Pinkel said MU is fortunate to have two unique features when it comes to the school's brand: the word "Mizzou" and the Tiger head logo. You'll notice he didn't say the block M. There's a reason the Tiger logo replaced the block M on Faurot Field in 2003, and I suspect Missouri's helmets will get a similar facelift. Why the change? I was told a few months ago that when Nike analyzed Missouri's brand profile, the company found that casual fans associate the block M logo with Michigan, even though Michigan's helmets don't feature an M. The Tiger logo is more unique, unmistakably Missouri's. Pinkel said the group of former Tigers now playing in the NFL got to see the new designs last week and gave them rave reviews.

Full piece here

That's what I've expected all along. While I love the block 'M', I can understand the reasoning behind removing it from their brand. I'm just excited to see what they come up with.

"It looks like a drawing of a tiger being trampled by an elephant. With a bulldog and alligator biting its tail."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks as if Mizzou will be ditching its long-time Block-M helmet logo in favor of the Tiger head mark. This from the Columbia Daily Tribune's Mizzou football beat writer Dave Matter who just returned from today's Tiger QB Club luncheon:

Missouri and Nike will unveil the school's new branding images and uniforms on April 14, the day of the Black and Gold spring scrimmage. Missouri is keeping a tight lid on details for the new threads, but Pinkel said MU is fortunate to have two unique features when it comes to the school's brand: the word "Mizzou" and the Tiger head logo. You'll notice he didn't say the block M. There's a reason the Tiger logo replaced the block M on Faurot Field in 2003, and I suspect Missouri's helmets will get a similar facelift. Why the change? I was told a few months ago that when Nike analyzed Missouri's brand profile, the company found that casual fans associate the block M logo with Michigan, even though Michigan's helmets don't feature an M. The Tiger logo is more unique, unmistakably Missouri's. Pinkel said the group of former Tigers now playing in the NFL got to see the new designs last week and gave them rave reviews.

Full piece here

That's what I've expected all along. While I love the block 'M', I can understand the reasoning behind removing it from their brand. I'm just excited to see what they come up with.

"It looks like a drawing of a tiger being trampled by an elephant. With a bulldog and alligator biting its tail."

I see what you did there.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Here's some more talk about what Mizzou may be up to:

As I reported in December, Pinkel said the word "Mizzou" and the Tiger head logo will figure prominently in the new design. I've heard rumblings that the primary helmet will remain black, but there will also be a gold helmet and a white helmet the Tigers can rotate in. Provided that's true, that's consistent with the vibe I've gotten from the staff, which is this: the new unis will be more Oklahoma State than Oregon. You may all breathe a sigh of relief now.

Read more here: http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2383#storylink=cpy

Well thank god. Okahoma State did it right, and I hope Mizzou does too.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Pinkel said the group of former Tigers now playing in the NFL got to see the new designs last week and gave them rave reviews.

If we've learned anything as members here, it's that athletes have terrible taste in uniform aesthetics. I am fearful.

Now that I think of it, when has it ever been reported that players didn't like a new uniform? :suspect:

They don't have bad taste, they just have a different taste than you.

No, he's right. Young athletes can be trusted on good design about as much as a plumber can be trusted to redecorate your bathroom.

If they change the tiger logo, my only wish is if they'd remove the oval around it. I think it would look better just as the tiger head with no oval boundary. Other than that it doesn't need updating.

I love Mizzou's tiger logo better than any other cat logo. I agree that removing the oval will make the tiger head an excellent helmet logo. I just hope the unis are as good as Okla. St.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Pinkel said the group of former Tigers now playing in the NFL got to see the new designs last week and gave them rave reviews.

If we've learned anything as members here, it's that athletes have terrible taste in uniform aesthetics. I am fearful.

Now that I think of it, when has it ever been reported that players didn't like a new uniform? :suspect:

They don't have bad taste, they just have a different taste than you.

No, he's right. Young athletes can be trusted on good design about as much as a plumber can be trusted to redecorate your bathroom.

nvm, it's oldschoolvikings. He's about as openminded as a closed jar.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Why shouldn't the players who lay their bodies on the line for your entertainment not be entitled to pick uniforms they like? Especially because theoretically they don't even get paid for their sacrifice.

If you don't like a team's jerseys that much, don't watch em.

Why shouldn't the players who lay their bodies on the line for your entertainment not be entitled to pick uniforms they like? Especially because theoretically they don't even get paid for their sacrifice.

Yeah, "theoretically".

Oh, trust me, I see the reasoning in college athletics to let the players have a say in what they wear. You're trying to attract 17 year olds to your program, and while I don't think crazy uniforms give you a huge advantage in recruiting, I think its foolish to think it doesn't move the needle, at least slightly.

I didn't say they shouldn't do it (although I wish they wouldn't... at least so much). What I said (and I probably should add a "IMO" if you want to take all the fun out of it), is that you can't expect good design to come from it.

Yet Spleen gets mad whenever we berate him for likIng Oregon uniforms?

Pick a non-hypocritical side of the fence.

First of all, I don't like all of Oregon's uniforms (I hate the carbon helmets with a passion). Secondly, the fact that you have to wonder why I can get mad when I get berated for my opinions is kind of shocking. I don't like it when people state their opinions as facts. My opinions are not facts. I have repeatedly said that there is no such thing as a bad uniform, only people with different uniform tastes. So when people start bashing others for an opinion, I find it wrong and dispicable. I get mad at oldschoolvikings and TheOldRoman not because of their opinions, but because thye take those opinions and hold them as the absolute truth. I hate Alabama's uniforms. Many people like them. That's absolutely fine. But whenever I say that i like them, I'm met with a bunch of "You're stupid" or "You have no taste".

That's one of the biggest problems with this site: people thinking that what they think is right, and everyone else is wrong. This site need sto freaking grow up and learn to accept people for what they think. It's getting pathetic.

Why shouldn't the players who lay their bodies on the line for your entertainment not be entitled to pick uniforms they like?

Because they get a lot of other perks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

First of all, I don't like all of Oregon's uniforms (I hate the carbon helmets with a passion). Secondly, the fact that you have to wonder why I can get mad when I get berated for my opinions is kind of shocking. I don't like it when people state their opinions as facts. My opinions are not facts. I have repeatedly said that there is no such thing as a bad uniform, only people with different uniform tastes. So when people start bashing others for an opinion, I find it wrong and dispicable. I get mad at oldschoolvikings and TheOldRoman not because of their opinions, but because thye take those opinions and hold them as the absolute truth. I hate Alabama's uniforms. Many people like them. That's absolutely fine. But whenever I say that i like them, I'm met with a bunch of "You're stupid" or "You have no taste".

That's one of the biggest problems with this site: people thinking that what they think is right, and everyone else is wrong. This site need sto freaking grow up and learn to accept people for what they think. It's getting pathetic.

When you're formulating an opinion on a uniform, try to be impartial, or at least look at both sides of the coin, and your 'opinions' will be more respected. Take everything into account, like history, context and appropriateness. Using a very mellow tone also helps. You'd be surprised, but every single time, you'll find things that you like, and things that you could improve upon when you remove yourself from a set mentality and look at each aspect of a uniform as a separate idea that's meant to be a part of a larger whole. What I'm saying is, don't fall for the marketing, and look at the elements of the uniform in greater depth. You will be respected for doing that.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

When you're formulating an opinion on a uniform, try to be impartial, or at least look at both sides of the coin, and your 'opinions' will be more respected. Take everything into account, like history, context and appropriateness. Using a very mellow tone also helps. You'd be surprised, but every single time, you'll find things that you like, and things that you could improve upon when you remove yourself from a set mentality and look at each aspect of a uniform as a separate idea that's meant to be a part of a larger whole. What I'm saying is, don't fall for the marketing, and look at the elements of the uniform in greater depth. You will be respected for doing that.

Alright, well then here is my opinion of Alabama's uniforms:

The plain, generic style and colors (specifically red) are a good combination and fit Alabama quite well. I aslo really like their grey facemask. It reminds me of their elephant mascot. There are two things that really bring down their set though.

1. The number on their helmet. It's iconic, yes, but they have such a great logo in their A, that it's crazy that thy haven't put it on their helmet yet.

2. The lack of grey on any on any other place on their uniform except their facemask. Grey pants would be SUPERB for the Tide! Right now, they look like recolored Georgia Southern uniforms. The only reason Alabama can get away with that is beacuse they're, well, Alabama. Plus, the white pants make the grey facemask look out of place.

There, is my opinion more respectable now?

Has there been anything on Michigan uniforms? Is their helmet changing permanently? I know that they have used many road uniforms in the past couple years. Would they have a Pro Combat set?

They're with Adidas, so no.

Archived