College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet Spleen gets mad whenever we berate him for likIng Oregon uniforms?

Pick a non-hypocritical side of the fence.

First of all, I don't like all of Oregon's uniforms (I hate the carbon helmets with a passion). Secondly, the fact that you have to wonder why I can get mad when I get berated for my opinions is kind of shocking. I don't like it when people state their opinions as facts. My opinions are not facts. I have repeatedly said that there is no such thing as a bad uniform, only people with different uniform tastes. So when people start bashing others for an opinion, I find it wrong and dispicable. I get mad at oldschoolvikings and TheOldRoman not because of their opinions, but because thye take those opinions and hold them as the absolute truth. I hate Alabama's uniforms. Many people like them. That's absolutely fine. But whenever I say that i like them, I'm met with a bunch of "You're stupid" or "You have no taste".

That's one of the biggest problems with this site: people thinking that what they think is right, and everyone else is wrong. This site need sto freaking grow up and learn to accept people for what they think. It's getting pathetic.

When you're formulating an opinion on a uniform, try to be impartial, or at least look at both sides of the coin, and your 'opinions' will be more respected. Take everything into account, like history, context and appropriateness. Using a very mellow tone also helps. You'd be surprised, but every single time, you'll find things that you like, and things that you could improve upon when you remove yourself from a set mentality and look at each aspect of a uniform as a separate idea that's meant to be a part of a larger whole. What I'm saying is, don't fall for the marketing, and look at the elements of the uniform in greater depth. You will be respected for doing that.

Alright, well then here is my opinion of Alabama's uniforms:

The plain, generic style and colors (specifically red) are a good combination and fit Alabama quite well. I aslo really like their grey facemask. It reminds me of their elephant mascot. There are two things that really bring down their set though.

1. The number on their helmet. It's iconic, yes, but they have such a great logo in their A, that it's crazy that thy haven't put it on their helmet yet.

2. The lack of grey on any on any other place on their uniform except their facemask. Grey pants would be SUPERB for the Tide! Right now, they look like recolored Georgia Southern uniforms. The only reason Alabama can get away with that is beacuse they're, well, Alabama. Plus, the white pants make the grey facemask look out of place.

There, is my opinion more respectable now?

This post here reminds me of another observation I've made recently. Certain teams have certain uniform designs that around here would be considered blasphemy but because of their history such as Alabama's grey facemask (which I love), they somehow get a pass. But what if Alabama always used white facemasks and rolled out the grey ones next year, would we consider it a bad design element? Or why are Michigan's iconic winged helmets so revered, even though they'd be bashed for their clear irrelevance to the school mascot if the design were released tomorrow? I guess the bigger question I'm getting at here asks itself

I'd really like to hear what traditionalists and what those who are pro-change think of the matter

Midway.png

First of all, I don't like all of Oregon's uniforms (I hate the carbon helmets with a passion). Secondly, the fact that you have to wonder why I can get mad when I get berated for my opinions is kind of shocking. I don't like it when people state their opinions as facts. My opinions are not facts. I have repeatedly said that there is no such thing as a bad uniform, only people with different uniform tastes. So when people start bashing others for an opinion, I find it wrong and dispicable. I get mad at oldschoolvikings and TheOldRoman not because of their opinions, but because thye take those opinions and hold them as the absolute truth. I hate Alabama's uniforms. Many people like them. That's absolutely fine. But whenever I say that i like them, I'm met with a bunch of "You're stupid" or "You have no taste".

That's one of the biggest problems with this site: people thinking that what they think is right, and everyone else is wrong. This site need sto freaking grow up and learn to accept people for what they think. It's getting pathetic.

When you're formulating an opinion on a uniform, try to be impartial, or at least look at both sides of the coin, and your 'opinions' will be more respected. Take everything into account, like history, context and appropriateness. Using a very mellow tone also helps. You'd be surprised, but every single time, you'll find things that you like, and things that you could improve upon when you remove yourself from a set mentality and look at each aspect of a uniform as a separate idea that's meant to be a part of a larger whole. What I'm saying is, don't fall for the marketing, and look at the elements of the uniform in greater depth. You will be respected for doing that.

The plain, generic style and colors (specifically red) are a good combination and fit Alabama quite well. I aslo really like their grey facemask. It reminds me of their elephant mascot. There are two things that really bring down their set though.

1. The number on their helmet. It's iconic, yes, but they have such a great logo in their A, that it's crazy that thy haven't put it on their helmet yet.

2. The lack of grey on any on any other place on their uniform except their facemask. Grey pants would be SUPERB for the Tide! Right now, they look like recolored Georgia Southern uniforms. The only reason Alabama can get away with that is beacuse they're, well, Alabama. Plus, the white pants make the grey facemask look out of place.

This post here reminds me of another observation I've made recently. Certain teams have certain uniform designs that around here would be considered blasphemy but because of their history such as Alabama's grey facemask (which I love), they somehow get a pass. But what if Alabama always used white facemasks and rolled out the grey ones next year, would we consider it a bad design element? Or why are Michigan's iconic winged helmets so revered, even though they'd be bashed for their clear irrelevance to the school mascot if the design were released tomorrow? I guess the bigger question I'm getting at here asks itself

I'd really like to hear what traditionalists and what those who are pro-change think of the matter

That's what I've been thinking for a long time. I dislike it when people excuse what they would otherwise call bad design elements just because they've been in use for a long time. Tradition /=/ good. You can wear a terrible uniform for 30 years, but that still doesn't change that it's a terrible (or, at least what most people would consider terrible) uniform.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

That's what I've been thinking for a long time. I dislike it when people excuse what they would otherwise call bad design elements just because they've been in use for a long time. Tradition /=/ good. You can wear a terrible uniform for 30 years, but that still doesn't change that it's a terrible (or, at least what most people would consider terrible) uniform.

But at the same time, you've got to account for the fact that the uniform has become the identity for those teams. A bold, unique design element, like Michigan's helmet, is what it is. It actually does a better job of what it's supposed to do than a helmet with a logo slapped on the side. It's easier for a program to grow into something like that and make it instantly identifiable for their program. It's not really meant to excuse design elements. Some people just find the design elements from that era to be superior. For me, I don't necessarily like the particular elements from that era more, but I do respect the design philosophy of that era more, and so I prefer a hybrid of sorts, creating uniforms with crisp, simple elements of the old era combined with details of the current era. Alabama's A would look fine on a helmet, but they're still the most famous team that wears numerals on their lid, and that's their thing. There's no reason not embrace that as your signature, because there's nothing inherently wrong with it, design-wise. It's a heritage-inspired look that fits their heritage inspired philosophy as a brand.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Don't know if anyone cares, but Eastern Washington is getting some new helmets next year.

ewuhelmet.jpg

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

But at the same time, you've got to account for the fact that the uniform has become the identity for those teams.

That shouldn't necessarily preclude teams from making classy, well-thought-out updates to their identity (for instance, the Yankees picking one interlocking NY and sticking with it - preferably the cap version).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

AjQKxG7CAAEg-zb.jpg

And, I believe, matte helmets are officially wearing water skis, a leather jacket, and clearly have the shark pen in sight.

I'll believe it when Visit Milwaukee drops $85,000 on a matte-bronze helmet statue that nobody wants and only vaguely even looks like a helmet :D

Don't know if anyone cares, but Eastern Washington is getting some new helmets next year.

ewuhelmet.jpg

discussed several pages back.

Really, I don't see it anywhere.

Well, regardless, that facemaks is really bothering me. I actually think EWU getting a black helmet is a great idea (considering it's one of their primary colors), however I think this would've looked better in a metallic form.

ewuhelmet.jpg

Well, regardless, that facemaks is really bothering me. I actually think EWU getting a black helmet is a great idea (considering it's one of their primary colors), however I think this would've looked better in a metallic form.

Maybe he thought the same thing I did, I assumed you were talking about Eastern Michigan. I didn't notice you said Washington at first. That is one ugly helmet though.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

ewuhelmet.jpg

Maybe he thought the same thing I did, I assumed you were talking about Eastern Michigan. I didn't notice you said Washington at first. That is one ugly helmet though.

Right now? Yes, yes it is. But it has potential. A metallic black helmet with an all white logo and a darker facemask would look great.

And yeah, that makes sense. I was confused for a second there when he said it hd been discussed, considering this was just revealed.

But at the same time, you've got to account for the fact that the uniform has become the identity for those teams.

That shouldn't necessarily preclude teams from making classy, well-thought-out updates to their identity (for instance, the Yankees picking one interlocking NY and sticking with it - preferably the cap version).

I don't think anyone ever suggested that it was a bad idea for teams to make updates in this fashion, at least not from a design standpoint, but look at it from the business point of view of a sportswear company or a team. To them, it doesn't make sense to go in, clean up all the graphics and the uniform's inconsistencies and call it a day. The only person that affects positively is OCD design-centric fan, which is a very small percentage of the whole. Average fan won't notice, and die-hard fan does not see value in tinkering with a classic design. There's no publicity bump or increase in sales. Their philosophy is if they're not going to see any sort of financial benefit from the change, then why make it? That's why you see very few changes like this actually happen. As a designer, it's ultra-annoying, but that's the grave the sports industry dug when it put most of its eggs in the merchandising basket.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

ewuhelmet.jpg

nm, your pic has never showed up for me and I thought you were talking about the pics in this post:

My bad.

CdwAF.jpg

Now that's bad! Not as ugly as Tulsa, but still pretty terrible. Is it carbon fiber? If so it makes zero sense. Classic uniforms, classic W font, modern logo, modern helmet texture. This is worse than the Ohio Bobcats mess of '11.

Missouri released a teaser video for their new uniforms, set to release April 14.

http://www.mutigers.com/allaccess/?media=301639

The second white one shown is the old pro combat rivalry. No new white one is shown.

The new black one is speed machine with the oval tiger logo at the neckline.

A yellow alt.

Bottom of the cleats looked like their old pro combat cleats.

Archived