College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate when teams change the color of the flag to match their uniform. I don't know if Maryland has their own flag code or anything, but it seems disrespectful to change it to look cool on a sports uniform.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I hate when teams change the color of the flag to match their uniform. I don't know if Maryland has their own flag code or anything, but it seems disrespectful to change it to look cool on a sports uniform.

Does it matter that the Terps' uni doesn't recreate the flag so much as it uses the flag's heraldic graphic elements? It'd be one thing to recolor a flag patch on a uni to match your team's colors; it'd be another thing to reference elements (e.g, stars and stripes) in a way that gives a nod to the flag without fully incorporating it.

E.g., the Wizards' alts from a few years back and the DC flag:

buq461iin2fv8tde1ez06kk9x.gif

dc_flag_l.gif

I disagree, finally Maryland comes out with a uniform I actually enjoy. That Black Ops set is a beaut. It's all of the glory of the elements of the flag, without the overwhelming "gaudiness" of it.

I would have preferred to see more red elements, than yellow on things like the pants, socks, and cleats, but that's nitpicking.

I see what you're saying, and part of me agrees with it, but I've seen low-visibility versions of the flag on military and police uniforms before. Granted that's probably for camouflage as opposed to looking cool, though I guess if it's a 'black ops' uniform, there must be some sort of militaristic sentiment behind it, so maybe a black and grey flag is apropos after all, if military imagery in sports is your kind of thing (it's not really mine, except for the service academies).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Some of the crap Maryland has worn the past two seasons has been downright embarrassing. They look like clowns half the time and play like it too. How many different uniforms do they need? I don't even know what their regular home & away uniforms are supposed to be. These new black ones are not entirely revolting, though.

I see what you're saying, and part of me agrees with it, but I've seen low-visibility versions of the flag on military and police uniforms before. Granted that's probably for camouflage as opposed to looking cool, though I guess if it's a 'black ops' uniform, there must be some sort of militaristic sentiment behind it, so maybe a black and grey flag is apropos after all, if military imagery in sports is your kind of thing (it's not really mine, except for the service academies).

Yeah, I understand why you would want a low-visibility flag on a military or police uniforms and don't have a problem with that. And it's a public school doing this, so it's not like they would do something that was blatantly offensive to their flag, so it's not really a big deal. The worst offender of this that comes to mind is the LA Galaxy's third shirt and that's one I actually have a problem with.

la_e_galaxy_jersey_b1_576.jpg

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Anyone know if this will affect VT's uniforms at all? I know they have the VT logo on the collars so could they be getting a redesign next year?

I hope not. VT's uniforms are nearly perfect right now. It's so nice to see a classy traditional uniform that simultaneously makes the tradition haters' blood boil.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't even know what their regular home & away uniforms are supposed to be.

/current day and age of college football

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Anyone know if this will affect VT's uniforms at all? I know they have the VT logo on the collars so could they be getting a redesign next year?

I hope not. VT's uniforms are nearly perfect right now. It's so nice to see a classy traditional uniform that simultaneously makes the tradition haters' blood boil.

Probably not as much as you think. They'll probably throw the modern "VT" logo on the collar. Keep in mind little things like that change year to year, so there wouldn't be a need for a drastic change.

The fighting gobbler logo is horrible, glad to see it go. I don't totally agree with the vintage "VT" being scrapped. I agree, it shouldn't be on your identity moving forward, but like any "vintage" logo, feature it on merchandise, programs about the past, etc. No need to abolish it completely.

I prefer traditional uniforms for most teams, but I wouldn't say theirs is nearly perfect. It's almost hard to mess up NFL stripes on traditional uniforms, but they manage to do it almost every week. Get them on the pants and helmet. Also, their helmet is very 90s to me, which doesn't work with the traditional uniforms. I much prefer their white helmets with the state outline and 'TECH' to the maroon ones when paired with the traditional look. Plenty of room for improvement for VT. VT is actually one of the teams that I think can pull off a semi modern look. It's not as if they were a power in the old days and I think it is smart for most teams to stay with a look associated with their period of greatest success. That's why I think it makes sense for a school like Miami to go old school even though they had until recently been one of the schools Nike used to roll out new templates.

Disrespectful to who? The original designer of the flag? The lines surrounding a particular plot of land that designates the state that the flag represents? The individual colors in the original flag? Liberty? Freedom? Lee Greenwood? Please don't disrespect Lee Greenwood. Please don't.

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

Archived