TornadoGTS

Minor change to Florida Gators logo

63 posts in this topic

I downloaded the latest logosheet the other day for the Gators and noticed that they made some changes. On the primary, they dropped the light green on the gator's chin and replaced with the regular green:

GatorsLogoChange.png

To me, this a downgrade. It takes away the lighting/depth and makes it look like one big green glob IMO. The thing is, they kept the light green on the underbelly of the standing gator logo, so now they aren't even consistent. Other changes include: dropping the block F, the wordmarks are all the same letter height, and the slanted "F" loses the dropshadow and gets an outline

It inverts the depth. The light green made the chin look recessed, while the regular green makes it look like it sticks out.

In real life, the original colour is correct.

Alligator22.jpg

This is a downgrade to me, the only reason I can see for them to do this is printing cost.

It just looks like a fat alligator with a double chin now.

Yeah. Stupid downgrade, looks more like a mistake in the file than a conscious choice.

Printing three colors isn't any more expensive than three.

Wow. What was the point of that? Definitely a downgrade.

the whole thing needs re worked. its a terribly crafted logo

Here's part of a screengrab from the CLC resource site, to confirm the changes I mentioned:

GatorsCLCScreen.png

Why even keep the green? Florida's school colors are orange and blue. You NEVER see green on any uniforms, and you never will. I say just get rid of it altogether.

Yeah, I've seen a cool version of the Gators logo in just blue and white before, that the Lacrosse company I did work for has done. It's pretty much a simplified logo, and white instead of green. But I do think it's a solid logo overall, but nothing is unchangeable.

Printing three colors isn't any more expensive than three.

I can see why :D

The change Florida should've made:

fla_new.png

Why even keep the green? Florida's school colors are orange and blue. You NEVER see green on any uniforms, and you never will. I say just get rid of it altogether.

Lots of teams have extraneous colors in their logos, though. Should the Blackhawks make their logo just red, white and black?

A white outline was added around the entire logo as well. This removes that weird-looking intersection where the white at the top and bottom of the jaw broke the blue outline.

fla_new.png

Interesting. Florida has embraced black, so this works. Just hard to get used to looking at, but I like it.

Nah, don't care for it.

The only improvement there is the dark outline, which looks better than the relatively light blue.

Is it bad that I couldnt even tell until I read the posts? Haha, I seriously saw something changed in the green, as if it got lighter but I didn't notice.

Personally, the green they're using looks atrocious with the blue outlines. Use black outlines and I think it would improve it.

fla_new.png

I think florida should just start using green. Green, Orange, and Blue would look really interesting. Just as long as they keep the green to a little more than a trim color.

No way in hell do I want to see Florida in anything other than blue, orange, and white.

Even as a trim, green would look awful.

A white outline was added around the entire logo as well. This removes that weird-looking intersection where the white at the top and bottom of the jaw broke the blue outline.

Well that was actually just the files, both were the versions intended for white backgrounds, they just happened include the white outline on the new one. The version to be used on colored backgrounds has the white outline on both, so technically no change.

Here's part of a screengrab from the CLC resource site, to confirm the changes I mentioned:

GatorsCLCScreen.png

All the marks on their website now feature the single green, too.

Ok this explains it. I was watching their basketball team play the other day and I knew something was different about the midcourt logo, just couldn't figure it out.

fla_new.png

You don't want Disney lawyers hounding you.

400px-BlizzardBeachWaterParkColor1.png

You don't want Disney lawyers hounding you.

400px-BlizzardBeachWaterParkColor1.png

Not a chance.