Sochi 2014 Olympic Hockey

TimEOBrien

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice work on the finland set.the other 2 need work. try and incorparate black on the jerseys for canada. fix the striping for the czechs. the mismatching stripes is just awful. maybe on both sides use the checker board,kind of like the ducks alternate. that'd be cool.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

nice work on the finland set.the other 2 need work. try and incorparate black on the jerseys for canada. fix the striping for the czechs. the mismatching stripes is just awful. maybe on both sides use the checker board,kind of like the ducks alternate. that'd be cool.

Not sure what you mean by that...

The effort and thought you put into these concepts is great, but there are several things you should reconsider.

The helmets for team Canada: no go. An interesting and creative idea, but it should stay off the ice. Let's just say the world isn't ready for that kind of thing... for now at least.

The shoulders for team Canada: aesthetically not very good. That text would get lost in with the names on the back of the jerseys and the result wouldn't look good on the ice. Imagine what this would look like from above where the stands are.

The checker pattern for team Czech Republic: too much! The concept screams Croatia.

Team Finland's concept is your best work here. As a Finn, I wouldn't say it's an improvement from the kit/jerseys they used in last year's World Championships (which we won :grin: ), but it is the best out of these.

The leaf on the Canada jerseys is a nice, modern touch that I could actually see them using on the ice. It works especially well in the red.

We understand that these are your concepts, but as you make and post them be prepared to get some C&C. Listen to the C&C! Make new versions, play around with it, utilize new ideas! We are here to help develop your concepts and make them better, not shoot them down.

And by the way, "Suomi" is Finnish for "Finland", not "Finnish".

The effort and thought you put into these concepts is great, but there are several things you should reconsider.

The helmets for team Canada: no go. An interesting and creative idea, but it should stay off the ice. Let's just say the world isn't ready for that kind of thing... for now at least.

The shoulders for team Canada: aesthetically not very good. That text would get lost in with the names on the back of the jerseys and the result wouldn't look good on the ice. Imagine what this would look like from above where the stands are.

The checker pattern for team Czech Republic: too much! The concept screams Croatia.

Team Finland's concept is your best work here. As a Finn, I wouldn't say it's an improvement from the kit/jerseys they used in last year's World Championships (which we won :grin: ), but it is the best out of these.

The leaf on the Canada jerseys is a nice, modern touch that I could actually see them using on the ice. It works especially well in the red.

We understand that these are your concepts, but as you make and post them be prepared to get some C&C. Listen to the C&C! Make new versions, play around with it, utilize new ideas! We are here to help develop your concepts and make them better, not shoot them down.

And by the way, "Suomi" is Finnish for "Finland", not "Finnish".

Corrected my second Suomi Error. Thank you.

Let me be very clear (and let me preface this with the fact that my tone of voice should be read as calm, clarifying and happy, not angry or dismissive), I am happy to get dissenting C&C from my work, but I just posted the specific reasons as to why I did what I did on the Czech uni so people would know what I was thinking. It was NOT me saying, "this is why they're perfect and I'm not changing them."

Quite the contrary.

I was glad to hear others opinions, and I probably will go back and redo the Czech unis at some point because of the C&C posted here, but as I always do, I don't go back and redo stuff until I release what I have already finished. I have a few more Concepts in the backlog until I get around to a revisions stage.

I have not shot anything down, I was just making it clear to crashcarson15 that these were my ideas and that if you didn't like them, I do. I might be talked out of them before I revise them, but I thought these were good ideas at the time I did them (for better or worse! :grin: ).

Thank you for you (civil) comments on all the sets, it is much appreciated.

Russia's up in a few minutes.

Russia:

Russia_Display_1.jpg

Some of Russia's best, most dominant hockey teams weren't technically Russian - they were USSR/CCCP teams. Since that winning tradition shouldn't be ignored (the USSR players didn't kill anybody... probably...) I bring a CCCP feel to these Russian unis.

By incorporating blue (along with the Russian hockey logo) into an old school commie jersey , I tried to combine modern Russian patriotism with historical Russian hockey dominance. I kept both home and road helmets red, as was tradition back in the day.

Since The Sochi games are in Russia, the flag on the helmets is outlined in gold to symbolize Olympic excellence and their Olympic committee logo is on their upper right chest.

Slovakia:

Slovakia_Display_1.jpg

While the Slovaks placed fourth in Vancouver, they have hit a rough patch as of recent, sliding as low as 10th in the rankings. With this design, I attempted to give the Slovakian team a fresh start with a new, modern look.

When Czechoslovakia broke up, the Czechs got red and the Slovaks got blue. That being the case, I have kept blue as the dominant color. I obviously took some design elements from a certain Pennsylvanian hockey club but I believe that these unis stand on their own, especially given their uniquely Slovakian pants.

Sweden:

Sweden_Display_1.jpg

The Tre Kronor (Three Crowns) have a beautiful hockey history, in both play and in dress. In Sochi, Sweden takes the ice with a traditional yet modern uniform.

The Tre Kronor now have Tre stripes on the sleeves, socks and hem. The crowns on the uni - just like the numeral font - are both classically shaped but also have very sharp angles and narrow strokes. This defines a team that is both sharp in play and strong in tradition.

Canada:

Canada_Display_1.jpg

Using the new Canadian Olympic identity released late last year, I have meshed these new elements (the line extension leaf, the Stratum 1 font, etc.) onto classic, yet forward thinking, Canadian uniforms.

Canadian hockey uniforms have long been a bastion for bold, unique and powerful design ideas. With this in mind, I have taken some chances with these unis.

The uniforms feature the word "CANADA" (split into CAN and ADA) on top of the shoulders. In probably my most unique idea, all Canadian players will wear a helmet designed to mimic the provincial flag of their home province - a bit of individuality that still screams "Canada, United."

While the home uni mimics the Canadian flag, the pants on both home and road are black, a tribute to many great Canadian national teams that have won in the black bottoms.

**NOTE: All helmets for all teams include the Sochi 2014 patch and all jerseys have each country's Olympic Committee logo somewhere on the front (most on bottom left hem).

I like the dark concept you came up with, but on the white jersey I think that making the sleeves and the sides all red is too much. I also like the addition of the CAN-ADA on the shoulders.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Switzerland:

Switzerland_Display_1.jpg

When I think of Switzerland, I think of modernism and minimalism (and also that one scene from

). With that in mind, I have created a minimalistic and modern uni set.

While some may protest, the black helmets and pants are (just like Canada's pants) based on tradition, but black is also a favorite color of modernists.

The jerseys and socks are exclusively in the colors of the Swiss flag: Red and white. The white cross from the flag remains white even on the home whites, keeping just a small red outline to preserve the image. The numeral and name font is, of course, Helvetica - the ultimate modernist font. As you may or may not know, Helvetica was produced in Switzerland and and is Latin for "Swiss". The only font that seemed appropriate for this modern Swiss set was THE Swiss font.

The only thing I don't like about the Tre Kronor set is the stripes on the breezers. Other than that, I like that set. Something rubs me the wrong way about Russia but I'm not sure what it is.

I will say this, though: passive agressiveness wont help you get the C&C you're seeking.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

The only thing I don't like about the Tre Kronor set is the stripes on the breezers. Other than that, I like that set. Something rubs me the wrong way about Russia but I'm not sure what it is.

I will say this, though: passive agressiveness wont help you get the C&C you're seeking.

Well, putting out two brand new concepts a day hasn't been helping me out either, haha. But point taken.

Thanks for the feedback but is there a specific reason you don't like the breezer stripes? Do you not like Breezer stripes? Do you think they're too big? Or like Russia, are you just nor sure what it is?

USA:

USA_Display_1.jpg

Saving the best for last: America. The American team has a proud storied tradition in Olympic hockey including a couple gold medals and many a silver - including in Vancouver two years ago. Combine all those past great teams, I have created a new uni set that still honors the teams of the past.

Both jerseys combine elements from the '60s,'80s and '00s. The striping on both is inspired from the '60s, the red pants with white stripes is reminiscent of the '80s and the arched USA script on the road blues are taken from the more recent USA incarnations.

I love the USA ones, but the USA on the road should be the same as the home. Also add stars on the shoulders and pants like the ones from the 80's.

I like everything about the Swiss ones except for the logo. It should be bigger and it would be almost impossible to see on the white.

I love your jerseys overall though, great job!

Archived