It's Hard To Believe...

• Please log in to reply
1642 replies to this topic

#1 Funky Bunky

Funky Bunky

• Members
  • 2,943 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 00:06

I just found out that the Joe Louis Arena was built in 1979. It's only about 14 years older than the United Center in Chicago. For some reason, the crappy-ness of the Joe had me thinking it was older. It's younger than MSG IV, the Nassau Coliseum, Rexall, and only 2 years older than the Saddledome.

What things do you find hard to believe? Not necessarily things that you just found out (we have a thread for that), but things that blow your mind, or just seems really weird to you.

#2 CS85

CS85
  • Fruggin' rite, shikagOOO

• Members
  • 11,707 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 00:25

• That Jerry Sandusky is still alive/not in prison.
  • Basically 9/11 even still today. Not to stir the pot, but I don't see how an airplane could destroy a building constructed in the modern age. All the controversy and the irrational physics and poor explanations, everything that's happened in part to the events, it's mind blowing.
  • Pretty much everything about outer space, space science and exploration. The ultimate mystery of our world, the astro-frontier.

RfUid8V.png

twitter

#3 CRichardson

CRichardson
  • Naturally faces magnetic north

• Members
  • 5,048 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 00:31

Only one of the 120 FBS schools has not changed coaches in my lifetime.

sport-scarf_blackhawks_zpsb1797cb7.png
GOAL ACHIEVED - 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

Baltimore Barons (CHL) | The South Texas State University Rangers (NCFA-FCS)
Chicago Rivermen (UBA - 2013-14 National Conference Champions) | Quebec Metropolites - (UL) | Red Bull Seattle (ULL)

#4 Patchey13

Patchey13

• Members
  • 1,261 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 00:31

Scooby Doo, Fred, and Megatron are all voiced by Frank Welker.
Posted Image

#5 Funky Bunky

Funky Bunky

• Members
  • 2,943 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 00:41

..and what school is that?

#6 CRichardson

CRichardson
  • Naturally faces magnetic north

• Members
  • 5,048 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 00:45

..and what school is that?

Virginia Tech. Beamer was hired in 1987 and I was born in 1989.

http://en.wikipedia....ootball_coaches

sport-scarf_blackhawks_zpsb1797cb7.png
GOAL ACHIEVED - 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

Baltimore Barons (CHL) | The South Texas State University Rangers (NCFA-FCS)
Chicago Rivermen (UBA - 2013-14 National Conference Champions) | Quebec Metropolites - (UL) | Red Bull Seattle (ULL)

#7 OchentaYOcho88

OchentaYOcho88

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 00:53

Scooby Doo, Fred, and Megatron are all voiced by Frank Welker.

No :censored:? That is mind blowing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 habsfan1

habsfan1
  • #DriveFor25

• Members
  • 8,358 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 00:57

Sidney Crosby only has 1 career NHL All-Star Game apperence.

#9 Griffinmarlins

Griffinmarlins
  • C-Hill

• Members
  • 4,498 posts

• Favourite Logos:Pensacola Blue Wahoos Primary, Denver Nuggets 2013 alternate uniform

Posted January 26, 2012 - 01:22

It's hard to believe that the Dolphins won back-to-back super bowls in 1972-73 considering how terrible they are now.

Asig_zpsaf9f165b.png

#10 Luigi

Luigi
  • Don't Make Me Angry

• Members
  • 939 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 01:36

The crusaders have won 7 super rugby titles from 15 seasons.
Posted Image Posted Image

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

#11 Funky Bunky

Funky Bunky

• Members
  • 2,943 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 02:03

It's hard to believe that the Dolphins won back-to-back super bowls in 1972-73 considering how terrible they are now.

It's hard to believe the Cubs won back to back world series in 1907 and 1908 before any of our parents were even born. It's hard to believe they won before.

#12 Rockstar Matt

Rockstar Matt

• Members
  • 1,401 posts

• Favourite Logos:Cowboys primary, Lakers primary, love the us soccer off-white, white jerseys. LA Kings Primary Logo, LA Kings White and Black jerseys

Posted January 26, 2012 - 06:14

It's hard to believe this. It just blows my mind.

And it makes my inner nerd freak the f :censored: out.

If the findings hold out, and are proven to be true, all the main science fiction ideas of interstellar space travel, intergalactic space travel and hell, time travel become very real.
Posted Image

#13 BlueSky

BlueSky
  • Someday...

• Members
  • 6,934 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 08:32

• Basically 9/11 even still today. Not to stir the pot, but I don't see how an airplane could destroy a building constructed in the modern age. All the controversy and the irrational physics and poor explanations, everything that's happened in part to the events, it's mind blowing.
  • Pretty much everything about outer space, space science and exploration. The ultimate mystery of our world, the astro-frontier.

Well, I have a hard time believing those s***heads pulled it off on 9/11 but as for being surprised an aircraft could destroy a building? A 2000 lb. military bomb will destroy a building, right? Granted, that's 2000 lbs. of high explosives but the 767-223 operating Flight 11 had a max takeoff weight of over 300,000 lbs, of which about 80,000 lbs. was fuel, and was traveling over 400 mph when it hit the building. That the impact and subsequent fire weakened the internal structure until it collapsed is so hard to believe? What might be harder to believe is that the impact itself didn't bring it down.

Anyway, I was shocked the other day when the Ravens-Pats broadcasters said BenJarvus Green-Ellis has never fumbled, either in college or in his pro career. That's about 1300 carries or so. :blink:

#14 Coast2CoastAM2006

Coast2CoastAM2006
  • The Yes! revolution

• Members
  • 6,831 posts

• Favourite Logos:Islanders Fisherman

Posted January 26, 2012 - 08:44

i'd say the same is the same for the Islanders considering the stretch of suck since 94. It's still hard to believe at one time this team won 4 strait stanley cups.

Islanders96.png

C2CAM2006 doesn't exist, he is a figment of your imagination.  Now let me ask you, do you know who I am? I'll tell you who I am. My name is Frank Garrett and I work for Duncan Construction and I am the one that is going to tell you that my pen is bigger than yours because I buy my pens from Pen Island.

#15 Luigi

Luigi
  • Don't Make Me Angry

• Members
  • 939 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 09:00

Well, I have a hard time believing those s***heads pulled it off on 9/11 but as for being surprised an aircraft could destroy a building? A 2000 lb. military bomb will destroy a building, right? Granted, that's 2000 lbs. of high explosives but the 767-223 operating Flight 11 had a max takeoff weight of over 300,000 lbs, of which about 80,000 lbs. was fuel, and was traveling over 400 mph when it hit the building. That the impact and subsequent fire weakened the internal structure until it collapsed is so hard to believe? What might be harder to believe is that the impact itself didn't bring it down.

Anyway, I was shocked the other day when the Ravens-Pats broadcasters said BenJarvus Green-Ellis has never fumbled, either in college or in his pro career. That's about 1300 carries or so. :blink:

That is astounding, he is definitely gone up a few places in my RB rankings after hearing that. Just WOW!

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

#16 sc49erfan15

sc49erfan15
  • Mascot Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 5,645 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 09:41

That is astounding, he is definitely gone up a few places in my RB rankings after hearing that. Just WOW!

Wow... Considering that individual players fumbling 3 times a game isn't unheard of, that's impressive.

BTW - looked it up, record for most fumbles in a game is 7, set by Len Dawson.

#17 ZapRowsdower8

ZapRowsdower8

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 09:52

http://kottke.org/12...are-still-alive

#18 DEAD!

DEAD!
  • Memories...

• Members
  • 20,805 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 09:56

Wow... Considering that individual players fumbling 3 times a game isn't unheard of, that's impressive.

BTW - looked it up, record for most fumbles in a game is 7, set by Len Dawson.

Wow. Considering all the variables like weather conditions, the defense which could have stripped the ball at any point, that is remarkable.

http://kottke.org/12/01/president-john-tylers-grandsons-are-still-alive

Well, that's a jaw-dropper.
I saw, I came, I left.

#19 PurpleRush

PurpleRush

• Members
  • 671 posts

• Favourite Logos:Blue Jays original,
      Arkansas Razorbacks,
      Minnesota T-wolves original,
      and Pat Patriot

Posted January 26, 2012 - 10:14

That if your order comes to $8.27 and you hand a cashier $10.02, they have no idea what to do for your change, unless their computer tells them.

And also that the most fumbles in a game is 7.
Wouldn't you have taken the guy out after, say, the 4th one?
Posted Image

#20 njmeadowlanders

njmeadowlanders
  • @GoldAsIce

• Members
  • 5,359 posts

• Favourite Logos:New York Mets

Posted January 26, 2012 - 10:42

And also that the most fumbles in a game is 7.
Wouldn't you have taken the guy out after, say, the 4th one?

Well, you don't just yank hall-of-fame QB's. I'd be willing to bet that it was a miserable day and they were almost all center/QB exchange miscues.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps