• Please log in to reply
1809 replies to this topic

#21 BlueSky

BlueSky
  • Someday...

• Members
  • 6,934 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 10:44

Okay, for my first post I just ballparked Green-Ellis' touches based on a quick look at his stats, and forgot about receptions. Since everyone seemed to share my surprise, I added them all up and he has 200 more touches than I thought:

College - 920 carries, 39 receptions
Pro - 510 carries, 26 receptions

Total - 1,505 touches without a fumble. And BTW, supposedly he never fumbled in high school either.

You know what this means, right? He'll put the ball on the ground in the SB. :D
Posted Image Posted Image

#22 sc49erfan15

sc49erfan15
  • Mascot Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 5,745 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 10:46

http://kottke.org/12/01/president-john-tylers-grandsons-are-still-alive

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

That's AMAZING. Definitely going to bring that up when I get to that era in my class.

#23 fnz

fnz

• Members
  • 4,557 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 10:57

http://kottke.org/12...are-still-alive

That's AMAZING. Definitely going to bring that up when I get to that era in my class.

I was just going to post that haha. And I thought it was weird that my grandpa was bron in 1929, and his dad was bron in 1853.

The same guy who voiced Splinter in the 90s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies is the same guy who has voiced Elmo since 1982 (as well as several characters on the show Dinosaurs).

#24 BlueSky

BlueSky
  • Someday...

• Members
  • 6,934 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 11:04

From the linked site about Tyler's grandsons...

===
Someone needs to come up with a term for this sort of thing (history bridges? no.). There's also this 1956 game show appearance of a Lincoln assassination eyewitness and Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes (1841-1935) shaking hands during his lifetime with both John Quincy Adams (b 1767) and John F Kennedy (d 1963), one man spanning 200 years of American history.
===

This is similar to something that always amazed me about advances in transportation, particularly aviation. It's perfectly plausible that a child whose family took weeks (or even months) to cross America by wagon train (circa 1880*) could have lived long enough to cover the same distance in just six hours on a Boeing 707 (circa 1959).

* Given the Transcontinental Railroad wasn't completed until 1869, cross-country wagon travel must have still been a routine form of travel in 1880.

Then of course there's technology. You would have needed a station wagon in 1975 to haul around the amount of music an iPod holds, and a backpack full of 35mm film to shoot what you can put on a single memory card.
Posted Image Posted Image

#25 vicfurth

vicfurth
  • Highly-functioning sociopath...With your number.

• Members
  • 5,343 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 12:05

Hard to believe...

My family's first computer had enough memory to hold one animated gif.

dallascowboys_sig_new_zpse3cd8b4d.png

#26 adollfbaingbaky

adollfbaingbaky

• Spammers
  • 2 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 12:30

spam

#27 DEAD!

DEAD!
  • Memories...

• Members
  • 20,893 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 12:46

Those websites are hard to believe ^_^
I saw, I came, I left.

#28 illwauk

illwauk
  • "Hey, up yours Springfield!"

• Members
  • 6,820 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 12:56

And also that the most fumbles in a game is 7.
Wouldn't you have taken the guy out after, say, the 4th one?

Well, you don't just yank hall-of-fame QB's. I'd be willing to bet that it was a miserable day and they were almost all center/QB exchange miscues.

According to this, I'd guess that you're right. Of the 9 total fumble that the Chiefs had that day, they only lost 3. The Chargers also had a pair of fumbles of their own and didn't score at all in the second half. Seems like it was a pretty sloppy game altogether.

Bucks34Tradition1_zpse4b77760.png

(Yes, I'm a Bucks fan again... provided the new owners don't find a way to f~~k this up.)

#29 willmorris

willmorris
  • Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz.

• Banned
  • 6,537 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 13:01

Add this link, from that link, because this is just awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_iq5yzJ-Dk

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#30 AndrewPF

AndrewPF
  • A Future Lived In Past Tense

• Members
  • 3,195 posts

• Favourite Logos:Pat Patriot
      Mighty Ducks primary
      Mets primary
      Devil Rays gradient

Posted January 26, 2012 - 19:41

The Pats vs. Raiders "tuck rule" game was 10 years ago.

And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

POTD: 2/14/12
COYS

#31 NoHoJoe

NoHoJoe

• Members
  • 2,452 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 19:44

The lead members of Arcade Fire are the great grandsons
of The King Family Singers.
BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

#32 jrodsep

jrodsep
  • From Last to Champs to Last Again...

• Members
  • 2,407 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 19:57

What also amazing is the Court Justice who met John Quincy Adams and JFK....

#33 Brass

Brass
  • Revolution Football.

• Members
  • 12,726 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 20:15

• Basically 9/11 even still today. Not to stir the pot, but I don't see how an airplane could destroy a building constructed in the modern age. All the controversy and the irrational physics and poor explanations, everything that's happened in part to the events, it's mind blowing.

With all the columns that the plane destroyed, as well as the consistant fires at the weakest parts of the building burning and weakening the steel to the point where it bowed and caused the sides to cave in, thus leaving any support of the top floors obsolete, it's very easy to understand how it collapsed. Not saying you're a 9/11 conspiracy dope, but you may want to check out Mark Robert's website (wtc7lies.googlepages.com) which is probably the best and most comprehensive guide to 9/11 facts and myths on the net.

boston1.png

#34 CRichardson

CRichardson
  • Proud even in defeat

• Members
  • 5,256 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 20:19

It's also the fact that the initial impact and explosions blasted off a lot of the fire-resistant material surrounding the columns which further worsened the weakening of the supports.

sport-scarf_blackhawks_zpsb1797cb7.png
GOAL ACHIEVED - 2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

Baltimore Barons (CHL) | The South Texas State University Rangers (NCFA-FCS)
Chicago Rivermen (UBA - 2013-14 National Conference Champions) | Quebec Metropolites - (UL) | Red Bull Seattle (ULL)

#35 4_tattoos

4_tattoos

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 21:52

Considering how big boxing was in the 80s and 90s, it's hard to believe that Mayweather vs Pacquiao (spelling) may be the last big marquee matchup boxing has to offer. We better get used to associating the term "fight night" with MMA.

Being a Redskins fan is like being stuck in a bad relationship that you just won't leave.

#36 NJTank

NJTank
  • Being a Mets fan is like being water boarded on a nightly basis

• Members
  • 40,137 posts

• Favourite Logos:New York Mets
      Detroit Red Wings
      Tampa Bay Buccaneers
      Boston Celtics

Posted January 26, 2012 - 22:16

It's hard to believe that the Dolphins won back-to-back super bowls in 1972-73 considering how terrible they are now.

I will have you know from 1970-2003 the Dolphins had exactly two sub .500 seasons.
Posted Image
www.sportsecyclopedia.com
For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com
Posted Image

#37 cmm

cmm

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 22:17

That dude died just two months after appearing on I've Got a Secret, a couple of days shy of the 91st anniversary of the assassination. Also, Bill Cullen is awesome (the panelist in the glasses and game show legend).

#38 nuordr

nuordr
  • H-Hour is Coming!

• Members
  • 3,904 posts

• Favourite Logos:Kentucky Wildcats, Patriots, Texans, and L.A. Kings, and Manchester Monarchs

Posted January 26, 2012 - 23:28

• That Jerry Sandusky is still alive/not in prison.
  • Basically 9/11 even still today. Not to stir the pot, but I don't see how an airplane could destroy a building constructed in the modern age. All the controversy and the irrational physics and poor explanations, everything that's happened in part to the events, it's mind blowing.
  • Pretty much everything about outer space, space science and exploration. The ultimate mystery of our world, the astro-frontier.

Considering that the towers were completed in 1972 and 1973 without standards that are in place today, I can see how it fell. Think about the fuel mixture for airplanes, it is basically kerosene, which is a heavier fraction in the distillation process than gasoline. The heavier hydrocarbons found in Jet Fuel burns hotter than typical gas which basically melted the steel in the buildings to the point where the structure could not take all the weight.

UKUnitracker.jpg VTTracker.jpg

Personal Blog

OSUUni-Tracker_zps1459e426.jpg  UniTracker.jpg

"The fact that society may find speech offensive is not a sufficient reason for suppressing it." Former Chief Justice William Rehnquist

#39 RyanMcD29

RyanMcD29
  • Not like I'm spending my summer with a Mets avatar..

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 00:06

Doug Marrone is the longest tenured football coach in the Big East. Yes really

CCSLCSig2014_zps354cde84.png

#HOTSPROTSTAKES (mainly dealing with my teams or sports media, sometimes personal life interwoven) @RyanMcD29

THE FACEOFF: A weekly college lacrosse infographic at College Crosse

#40 knnhrvy16

knnhrvy16

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

• Favourite Logos:ASU "Sparky"
      Jazz music note wordmark
      Blue Jackets "Stinger"
      Oregon "Donald Duck"
      Scottish Claymores primary

Posted January 27, 2012 - 00:26

This year will be 10 years since the Salt Lake Winter Olympics. I remember them like they were yesterday. Crazy...

Also, if Orrin Hatch wins re-election to his senate seat this year, by the end of his new term, he will have been a U.S. Senator for 42 years. Holy shiz.

On a personal note, May 27th will have been two years since I graduated high school. That just doesn't seem right.

Posted Image

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.