2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

We will have money this offseason, actually. It needs to start with Ken King, then Feaster, then this team will be okay. It's so easy to say just rebuild, rebuilds don't always work, you need good people within the upper ranks, before even considering a rebuild.

We've tried a rebuild before with Ken King, and it turned out awful. It's for people just say rebuild, this team needs a lot more than just that.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will have money this offseason, actually. It needs to start with Ken King, then Feaster, then this team will be okay. It's so easy to say just rebuild, rebuilds don't always work, you need good people within the upper ranks, before even considering a rebuild.

We've tried a rebuild before with Ken King, and it turned out awful. It's for people just say rebuild, this team needs a lot more than just that.

You won't have enough money to significantly improve the team. Top free agents won't want to go to Calgary either. It is clear this team needs to build it back up from the ground up. If you have to, fire the guys up top.

the Norfolk Admirals won their 22nd strait game tonight.

IIRC isn't the record for all North American pro sports 22 straight by the Houston Rockets?

It is actually 33 straight wins by the Los Angeles Lakers during the 1971-72 Season.

The Avs have two games left (who messed that up?), the Flames were put out, and the Kings are atop the Pacific, with everyone not based in Denver having four games to go. Go Kings go!

I think they're off until next Thursday.

The only thing that can help them is the home-and-homes that SJ/Dallas and SJ/LA have with each other. They probably need sweeps in both cases, with no three-point games.

Too much that needs to go right.

spacer.png

You won't have enough money to significantly improve the team. Top free agents won't want to go to Calgary either. It is clear this team needs to build it back up from the ground up. If you have to, fire the guys up top.

I think Calgary can attract pretty good free agents. Bouwmeester was widely coveted at the time, and they got him. You can't build around "top free agents," anyway. One or two strong veterans to complement a homegrown core seems to be the blueprint, but the Flames have no homegrown core, so I dunno.

While it's true that you need a good front office to fully effect a rebuilding, I think eventually top talent will ballast an awful team. I mean, even the Islanders are finally showing promising signs of life, and they're run by complete idiots. The Oilers are stockpiling some nice weapons and will be dangerous as soon as they stop allowing so many goals, and I'm not convinced they have a great hockey infrastructure in place. Hey, that one team I like was run by a spendthrift grandpa who thought it was a dynamite idea to, AND HOW QUICKLY WE FORGET, drop big contracts on the likes of Martin Lapointe, Adrian Aucoin, and Matthew Barnaby, and out of his four picks in the top ten, two of them were total busts, and yet there was still enough talent accumulated (especially the two non-busts) to rise above that big idiot. I think what's overlooked in the dilution caused by expansion is that off-ice talent is as finite as on-ice. Look at the Blue Jackets. There's no one smart left to run that thing. So I do kind of see your concern that some dope like Feaster can't be trusted with a rebuilding because he'll just squander it anyway, but all things being equal, what do you prefer? to bottom out and hope the team will eventually lift itself from the dregs, or maintain the status quo and keep hovering around ninth place until the end of time? And even then, Iginla and Kiprusoff won't be around forever. Eventually something has to break here. It's the same with the Sharks, and how they've been so top-heavy for so long that they're on the brink of collapse.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Two critical games this weekend for Philly. Win them both in regulation, and be tied with Pitt with 102 points and 3 games left each - including the potential swing game for home ice, game #82 for both clubs on Apr. 7. Lose today's game against Ottawa and they can all but kiss home ice goodbye. God, I hate the current standings system.

The Flames won't make the playoffs as long as Jay Bouwmeester is on the team.

That guy is bad juju. 700 career games played and not a single one has been in the playoffs.

Wow. 700 career games already? Makes me feel very old; I remember when he was coming up and being compared to Bobby Orr.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Two critical games this weekend for Philly. Win them both in regulation, and be tied with Pitt with 102 points and 3 games left each - including the potential swing game for home ice, game #82 for both clubs on Apr. 7. Lose today's game against Ottawa and they can all but kiss home ice goodbye. God, I hate the current standings system.

Why?

Because the Flyers are 45-32 and likely to be on the road to start the playoffs, while the Panthers are 37-41 and likely to have home ice?

No, that's not a legitimate gripe at all...

On a more serious note - how did the schedule come out to the Flyers and Penguins playing TWO of their three games at the Consol Energy Center, in the final week of the season?

spacer.png

I think Calgary can attract pretty good free agents. Bouwmeester was widely coveted at the time, and they got him. You can't build around "top free agents," anyway. One or two strong veterans to complement a homegrown core seems to be the blueprint, but the Flames have no homegrown core, so I dunno.

Wasn't Boumeester signed by Calgary (actually traded to the Flames) before he officially became a free agent?

Nope. FA signing. Although the fact he started building a mansion near Calgary prior to July 1 might have been a signal where he was going.

Edit:

Oh well what do I know then.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

It was a trade-and-sign, yeah, but those are generally done with the knowledge that the person is going to sign long-term. It's just a way of cheating open season on UFAs and trying to squeeze any returning assets out of an expiring (as in, expiring tomorrow) contract. I wonder if the new CBA will correct that. It's kind of strange when you think about it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived