2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hammering the Sharks for bad drafting in this thread. There's actually a wikipedia page that lays it all out! First round in the last five drafts:

2007: #9 Logan Couture

2007: #28 Nick Petrecki (no NHL games played)

2008: No Pick (Traded to Buffalo Sabres along with Steve Bernier for Brian Campbell)

2009: No Pick (Traded to Tampa Bay Lightning along with Matt Carle, Ty Wishart and a 2010 4th round pick for Dan Boyle and Brad Lukowich)

2010: #28 Charlie Coyle (no NHL games played, traded to Minnesota anyway)

2011: No Pick (Traded to Minnesota Wild along with Devin Setoguchi and Charlie Coyle for Brent Burns and a 2012 2nd round pick)

I'll give you that Couture is for real, but that's one NHL player out of five first rounds. Imagine if they got it wrong! Brian Campbell was a rental who left, Dan Boyle isn't getting any younger, and Brent Burns hasn't made the Sharks appreciably better at not giving up goals.

Beyond that, they curiously seem to draft fairly well out of the lower rounds, which seems to suggest that they take chances and fail big with mid-round picks, which leaves them to make the most out of safer late picks given college/AHL development time. Jason Demers, Tommy Wingels, and Justin Braun are 6th/7th guys, so all the credit in the world to them for making it to the show, but if there comes a time when your NHL roster is flush with seventh-round draft picks, there will come a time when your NHL roster doesn't compare favorably with other teams'.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Who is the coach of the Islanders, admittedly I know nothing about them. Anyway, he looks like a guy who just got fired from a used appliance store.

Marty Turco's scouting report: Flashes of brilliance littered with horrible post to post speed, terrible decision making, and blinding pads presumably to distract everyone on how bad he can be at times.

EDIT: "Look at the goofy geometry on the Isles unis, reminiscent of those old Canucks teams, those had to of affected their self-esteem." -Reason #82 why Jack Edwards is great.

Who is the coach of the Islanders, admittedly I know nothing about them. Anyway, he looks like a guy who just got fired from a used appliance store.

Marty Turco's scouting report: Flashes of brilliance littered with horrible post to post speed, terrible decision making, and blinding pads presumably to distract everyone on how bad he can be at times.

EDIT: "Look at the goofy geometry on the Isles unis, reminiscent of those old Canucks teams, those had to of affected their self-esteem." -Reason #82 why Jack Edwards is great.

1) Jack Capuano, a homeless guy they found sleeping on the LIRR.

2) I agree entirely, but those pads are sweet.

3) JackEd is, indeed, great.

spacer.png

I heard next year the Islanders uniforms are going to feature a rusty turn-style covered in cob webs.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

With the Leafs almost certain to pick 4th/5th, this will be their highest draft pick singe Tyler Seguin 2nd overall in 2010 Roberto Luongo 4th overall in 1997 Scott Niedermayer 3rd overall in 1991 Wendel Clark 1st overall in 1985.

Bite me San Jose.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

With the Leafs almost certain to pick 4th/5th, this will be their highest draft pick singe Tyler Seguin 2nd overall in 2010 Roberto Luongo 4th overall in 1997 Scott Niedermayer 3rd overall in 1991 Wendel Clark 1st overall in 1985.

Bite me San Jose.

No wonder the Leafs have been an epic fail for nearly 50 years.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I heard next year the Islanders uniforms are going to feature a rusty turn-style covered in cob webs.

Another great joke by CCSLC's favorite funny man!

Well, you see, the leafs have not been a total wreck for the past 50 years. It's only been 45. cool.gif

But seriously though, if not for Kerry Fraser and Harold Ballard...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn. Isles lose to Boston.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Big win for B's in a definite daytime trap game. Anytime you get 2 points with Turco in net in 2012 it's a huge victory.

11 out of 14 possible points isn't too shabby at this point, especially with the brutal week coming up.

Me thinks the B's slump is over.

Locked in at the #2 seed. The real intrigue is whether Ottawa stays put or if Buffalo or Washington sneak past them. I'm saying no.

Ottawa blew a 3-nill lead, but survived the shootout in Philly.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Me thinks the B's slump is over.

Locked in at the #2 seed. The real intrigue is whether Ottawa stays put or if Buffalo or Washington sneak past them. I'm saying no.

Yup. They're playing smart hockey again. Just in time.

spacer.png

My reaction to the Ottawa-Philly game: ...

It would be great to see them just slip down to 6th, but as they are 5 points up on Jersey, that probably won't happen. Better prepare for the Penguins. Tomorrow, and in the playoffs. Ugh.

Bonus thought: If Winnipeg somehow managed to claw their way into 8th place, the franchise would be playing its second playoff series ever against the same team they played before in the Rangers, if I'm not mistaken.

Jack Edwards is not great, he's not good, he's just plain stupid, immature, and one of the worst and most pathetic excuses for a play by play man.

Jack Edwards is not great, he's not good, he's just plain stupid, immature, and one of the worst and most pathetic excuses for a play by play man.

Tell us how you really feel.

Archived