2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who is the coach of the Islanders, admittedly I know nothing about them. Anyway, he looks like a guy who just got fired from a used appliance store.

Marty Turco's scouting report: Flashes of brilliance littered with horrible post to post speed, terrible decision making, and blinding pads presumably to distract everyone on how bad he can be at times.

EDIT: "Look at the goofy geometry on the Isles unis, reminiscent of those old Canucks teams, those had to of affected their self-esteem." -Reason #82 why Jack Edwards is great.

1) Jack Capuano, a homeless guy they found sleeping on the LIRR.

2) I agree entirely, but those pads are sweet.

3) JackEd is, indeed, great.

Fleury did it before it was cool. :P

oBIgzrL.png

the Norfolk Admirals won their 22nd strait game tonight.

IIRC isn't the record for all North American pro sports 22 straight by the Houston Rockets?

It is actually 33 straight wins by the Los Angeles Lakers during the 1971-72 Season.

Yeah, I think a baseball team beat it to. Orioles maybe?

But it's the most in pro hockey history.

However, I also like the Hawk. I'm sure that goes against the general sentiment of this place.

Hawk Harrelson's homer act loses a lot of its luster when you dig deep and find out he brought his same "dadgum umps are out to get our ______" act from New York and Boston, combined with the fact that he neither grew up in Chicago nor played for the White Sox. He's just a hired gun. I feel the same way about Harry Caray having lacked the homer-doofus authenticity that Jack Brickhouse, Lou Boudreau, and Ron Santo had, in the interest of north-south fairness.

Jack Edwards is quite enjoyable. Most hockey broadcasters are terrible, and not in the "this offends my delicate sensibilities" way, but rather the "they're not very articulate or prepared" way, so I welcome Edwards's moments of so-called unprofessionalism.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Who is the coach of the Islanders, admittedly I know nothing about them. Anyway, he looks like a guy who just got fired from a used appliance store.

Marty Turco's scouting report: Flashes of brilliance littered with horrible post to post speed, terrible decision making, and blinding pads presumably to distract everyone on how bad he can be at times.

EDIT: "Look at the goofy geometry on the Isles unis, reminiscent of those old Canucks teams, those had to of affected their self-esteem." -Reason #82 why Jack Edwards is great.

2) I agree entirely, but those pads are sweet.

3) JackEd is, indeed, great.

Jack Edwards is not great, he's not good, he's just plain stupid, immature, and one of the worst and most pathetic excuses for a play by play man.

Just because he's not a total monotone bore like Bob Miller doesn't mean he's a bad. Edwards can get a little biased, but at least he's energetic and adds life to the broadcast.

I enjoy Edwards, and I'm happy when NESN is broadcasted nationally on NHL netork, etc.

Truest analyses of Capuano ever

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Doug Weight (They Don't Love You Like I Love You) coached the Islanders for like three games this year and I think most people thought he had been coaching them all year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I often don't get people saying "Edwards is biased in favor of the Bruins, so therefore he's not a good broadcaster."

He's employed by a network owned by the Boston Bruins, broadcasting to vast-majority Bruins fans in New England. It'd be weird if he wasn't biased in favor of the Bruins.

spacer.png

I often don't get people saying "Edwards is biased in favor of the Bruins, so therefore he's not a good broadcaster."

He's employed by a network owned by the Boston Bruins, broadcasting to vast-majority Bruins fans in New England. It'd be weird if he wasn't biased in favor of the Bruins.

There's showing a preference for one side, and then there's bias or "homerism". For example, in Pittsburgh, Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey, apart from being just plain dumb, are very biased and have a rather homer opinion on things (Errey makes up for it for being funny to listen to). Mike Lange on the radio side, however, has always been on the Pens' side, but still shows an objective viewpoint of the game.

The primary goal for a broadcaster is to describe what is going on for the benefit of the watcher/listener. If they are doing that effectively while painting it in a way that is biased towards their team, then so be it, but if it gets in the way of them accomplishing the primary goal (I never saw a game called by Edwards, so I can't comment on him, but I can say that Steigerwald falls in this category), they're a bad broadcaster.

oBIgzrL.png

There's showing a preference for one side, and then there's bias or "homerism". For example, in Pittsburgh, Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey, apart from being just plain dumb, are very biased and have a rather homer opinion on things (Errey makes up for it for being funny to listen to). Mike Lange on the radio side, however, has always been on the Pens' side, but still shows an objective viewpoint of the game.

Edwards is fun to listen to, and is positively homeriffic. Andy Brickley (NESN's color guy) is a nice foil to Edwards' near-insanity, as he (usually) has an at lest partial objective viewpoint on things.

The radio guys, Dave Goucher and Bob Beers, are also very objective.

The primary goal for a broadcaster is to describe what is going on for the benefit of the watcher/listener. If they are doing that effectively while painting it in a way that is biased towards their team, then so be it, but if it gets in the way of them accomplishing the primary goal (I never saw a game called by Edwards, so I can't comment on him, but I can say that Steigerwald falls in this category), they're a bad broadcaster.

Edwards always describes what is going on in a very entertaining and over-the-top way. I'm not sure if that's really for the benefit of the viewer, but it does make it a fun experience for Bruins fans.

If you got time, here's a cut-down version of the NESN feed of the Bruins-Canadiens Game 7 last year, for a taste of JackEd:

EDIT: Keep in mind, Edwards hates the Canadiens.

spacer.png

Doug Weight (They Don't Love You Like I Love You) coached the Islanders for like three games this year and I think most people thought he had been coaching them all year.

Yeah he's basically gonna be the head coach once Cappy's fired. I mean, he's basically the coach anyway and shows way more emotion on the bench, too

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

This. A million times this.

Blackhawks are working on a way to lose to Nashville after being fronted a 4-0 lead. Stay tuned.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived