2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Brian Elliott better get some serious Vezina consideration.

He is #1 in the league in gaa (1.48!)

He is #1 in the league in save % (.943 - Breaking the record Tim Thomas set last year)

He is #1 in the league in shutouts (9)

If he doesn't, the whole thing is a fraud.

Playing less than 40 games will hurt his cause though.

True...

I might be in the minority here, but I would like to see the Vezina awarded to both Brian Elliott and Jaroslav Halak this season.

They are both having great seasons but the Vezina can't be split.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to the Detroit Red Wings for clinching a 21st consecutive playoff apperence. A new pro sports record.

I hope the streak ends next year. :P

Didn't the Blues once have a run of 25 straight seasons of making the playoffs?

Detroit just set a franchise record.

Boston had a 29 year streak 1968-1996

Chicago had a 28 year streak 1970-1997

St.Louis had a 25 year streak 1980-2004

Montreal had a 24 year streak 1971-1994

Montreal also had a 21 year streak 1949-1969

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Blackhawks eked out a point tonight, somehow. Their power play remains a disgrace to the sport, however.

Neither team played particularly well... The Devils seem to have cooled a little bit since their post-All Star game hotness...

Brodeur singlehandedly won that game. I've always gotten on him for being kind of protected, but he had like 41 saves and many of them were terrific.

Speaking of shots on goal and Brian Elliott, how's he doing in that department?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Embarrassing performance by the Caps tonight.

Florida takes care of business and Washington cant CAPITOLize. Story of the season.

Have fun getting swept in the first round cause you cant win anything outside of the skills competition.

The skills competition is their problem. 10 of their 15 OT losses were via shoot outs. Not having a shoot out works in Florida's favor.

They're 31-29 in regulation/overtime games and 13-17 in non-one-goal games. I don't think playing hockey works in Florida's favor.

Yet they are two games out of second. I guess all of the east is crap that isn't in the Atlantic.

Since two sub-.500 teams are in the playoff field, with 39-38 Ottawa also there - yeah, Boston is the only particularly good team in the playoff field not in the Atlantic division.

There's a very good chance the SE division winner will have a losing record. Really, what does that say about the quality of the division?

spacer.png

Same goes with the Pacific out here, which is a hell of a lot more talented imo than the Southeast, and no one is safe there either. Always one really crappy division in each conference.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Same goes with the Pacific out here, which is a hell of a lot more talented imo than the Southeast, and no one is safe there either. Always one really crappy division in each conference.

The Hawks blog I read referred to the Sharks/Stars/Coyotes/Avs/Flames race as a turtle derby. Perfect. I laughed. There's so much mediocre-to-bad in the league this year. You can't call hockey "the greatest sport in the world" when half its playoff field blows goats (I have proof).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Hawks blog I read referred to the Sharks/Stars/Coyotes/Avs/Flames race as a turtle derby. Perfect. I laughed. There's so much mediocre-to-bad in the league this year. You can't call hockey "the greatest sport in the world" when half its playoff field blows goats (I have proof).

goats-gif.gif

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

The Blues are a good team in every sense of the word.

It'd be great to see them get some individual recognition (or even a duo) like Halak/Elliott for the Jennings or Petrangelo for the Norris or Backes for the Selke. But it doesn't matter. This team doesn't have any flashy superstars, and it's worked just fine. The playoffs are another beast, and we'll see if the formula holds up.

Archived