2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Please, please, please name Pierre McGuire as his replacement.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most of us were rooting for Winnipeg, it's hard not to when you see how much their fans care about the team. Add in Scheifele next year and they have a real shot at making it to the playoffs.

They had one good month (10-3-1 in December, 25-31-7 the rest of the season), played in a dumpster fire of a division, and still aren't better than Washington or Florida. You can take the Thrashers out of Atlanta but you can't take the Atlanta out of the Thrashers. Obviously having owners who actually care about the team is a step up but they aren't close to winning yet.

Bingo. Yeah, they improved, but honestly, it wasn't by much. If they couldn't make the playoffs in this year where it's ultimately gonna come down to which team sucks the least (seriously, Florida might be one of the worst division champions in recent sports history. This is despite the fact that I enjoy the fact that they're trolling the hell out of a good chunk of the people in this thread. :lol:), then they're gonna have to take a huge step forward in order to make it next year.

But the thing is, the franchise actually has ownership and management that acknowledge that a hockey team does in fact exist & a much larger fanbase to cheer them on. They'll get better at a faster rate there than they would've if they were still here, toiling in anonymity. (:()

Wouldn't that still have been a penalty shot? Penalty shots on empty nets are automatic goals.

Exactly.

And plus there was less than 8 seconds left and if a faceoff was awarded, it was in the San Jose end. It's not like the goal mattered anyways.

If oddball's description is right (and it might not be), and the player was sliding after the puck and not intentionally trying to dislodge the net, then the correct call would be just a face-off, not a penalty shot.

But that's a grey area judgement call, and I doubt it mattered.

Boyle was sliding to the corner to keep the puck from crossing the goal line - his line of vision was purely on the puck, he was not trying to dislodge the net.

As it turned out, the shot hit the side of the net, and wouldn't have gone in regardless of Boyle's actions. Whatever the judgement on a call like that is, it's not likely to come up too often in a game, and it's even less likely to have any meaning, given the amount of the time left and the position of the puck.

Drew Remenda was ranting about it not being a goal; I have no clue what the Anaheim side of the broadcast had in mind.

spacer.png

I think this whole season was really just an evaluation. That they hung tough as long as they did, seemingly fueled (oh, excuse me, fuelled) by little more than having 15,004 people screaming for them half the time was pretty cool, but didn't really help them along in any constructive way. There are some definite keepers on the team, but I might look into flipping a non-essential forward for prospects. Get San Jose on the phone.

Drew Remenda was ranting

you're kidding

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Boyle was sliding to the corner to keep the puck from crossing the goal line - his line of vision was purely on the puck, he was not trying to dislodge the net.

As it turned out, the shot hit the side of the net, and wouldn't have gone in regardless of Boyle's actions. Whatever the judgement on a call like that is, it's not likely to come up too often in a game, and it's even less likely to have any meaning, given the amount of the time left and the position of the puck.

Drew Remenda was ranting about it not being a goal; I have no clue what the Anaheim side of the broadcast had in mind.

you're kidding

Randy and Drew are two of the worst. Even rivalry aside, I cannot stand them.

Anyway Kramerica, here's the Anaheim side of it:

Neither John Alhers or Brian Hayward agreed with it. They were skeptical as well.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Sounds pretty fair. Thanks.

I don't care for Hahn or Remenda myself, but when I'm not watching the Sharks online, that's usually what NBC leaves everyone with. Probably because of the whole NBC/Comcast connection and what-not.

That's exactly what it is, and it bugs me from a fan watching perspective and a production perspective. As a fan, I'm excited when I hear that the Ducks are going to be on national TV so I don't have to be subjected to my crappy internet feed since I'm not in SoCal anymore, but then I'm reminded it's a Sharks game and we're getting Randy and Drew. They're not national broadcasters and won't ever be. They're the San Jose broadcasters. BTW, did you guys know it was Logan Couture's birthday yesterday? I sure didn't. <_<

This continues to the production perspective. It's not produced like a national broadcast. It's the Sharks broadcast. It's also just lazy on NBC's part, because they always do this with their late season hockey coverage. In past years, they'd pick up CSN Philadelphia or Washington for a Flyers or Caps game, but this was also before they had full time broadcasters with Emerick and Strader. So while they get the East Coast games fine now, they cop out for the second game of their doubleheader for their West Coast game and just put on CSN's Sharks game. Heck, they copped out for the Kings/Canucks game by using TSN's feed, but at least taht was a national broadcast. NBC has their two broadcast teams with Emerick and Strader, they should have one team at each game. I understand that's hard to do with them having games on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, but there's ways to make it a national game still. In the past, they've used the Ducks John Alhers for NBC/Versus games that feature the Ducks and he's done it for a couple non-Ducks games as well. They'll pair Alhers with one of the other color guys NBC uses (Brickely, Reaugh, etc) like at the Ducks/Stars game last month with Alhers in the booth and McGuire in between the glass. NBC Sports has gotten better in their coverage, but this in particular (late season double header feed stealing) is something they haven't changed and it sucks.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Patrick Roy is linked to the Habs. Be it through what the Fans want.

Wasn't there just an article about him wanting to help bring pro hockey back to Quebec (City)?

Probably. I just heard it on the CBC, but I think he's better suited as a coach, then an NHL General Manager. Also been hearing names like Pierre McGuire :rolleyes: and Vincent Damphousse.

Serge Savard said that whoever they pick will speak french.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

^

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=624777

The Montreal Canadiens have fired General Manager Pierre Gauthier. No replacement was named.

Canadiens President Geoff Molson will hold a press conference at 11:45 a.m. to discuss the move.

The only good news I've heard this week. This was long overdue.

As overdue as it is, it doesn't really make much sense to fire the GM with 5 games left in the year.

^

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=624777

The Montreal Canadiens have fired General Manager Pierre Gauthier. No replacement was named.

Canadiens President Geoff Molson will hold a press conference at 11:45 a.m. to discuss the move.

As overdue as it is, it doesn't really make much sense to fire the GM with 5 games left in the year.

It makes more sense then firing your coach, when you're still technically in reach of a playoff spot.

I can see where your coming from though, but when you're eliminated, and the crap that Gauthier as brought to the Habs, better rid themselves of that now, then when your preparing your draft and offseason.

Curious as to why Gainey got the axe as well. I don't think you can put most of the blame on him, he would have probably been a better choice then old Pierre in the first place.

Canucks beg Canucks fans not to burn things down again, just to be on the safe side.

You know it's sad when your team has to put together a video to tell the fans not to riot.

The people who started the riots weren't hockey fans. They were going to start the riot regardless of the games outcome. I will agree that lots of Booze fuelled Canucks fans did join in later but that's what happens when a party gets out of hand. The amount of people present in downtown Vancouver coupled with the relaxed police presence and liquor restrictions made this sort of thing an inevitability. More people = more chances for bad apples. Nobody talks about what happened on Whyte Avenue when the Oilers clinched the Western Conference title in 2006... or what happened after the Candiens won a first round (!) series in 2008. There are idiots in every fanbase, it's not exclusive to the Canucks.

Well I know Flames fans didn't do anything outlandish. A few bad things usually happen when 10,000+ fans every night walk down a major street in Calgary.

^

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=624777

It makes more sense then firing your coach, when you're still technically in reach of a playoff spot.

I can see where your coming from though, but when you're eliminated, and the crap that Gauthier as brought to the Habs, better rid themselves of that now, then when your preparing your draft and offseason.

Curious as to why Gainey got the axe as well. I don't think you can put most of the blame on him, he would have probably been a better choice then old Pierre in the first place.

Gainey was still pulling a lot of strings and it was unclear (from a fan's point of view) what exactly his position was. He did step down two years ago and Gauthier took the spot, but they've basically been working hand-in-hand since 2006 when Gauthier was named assistant GM. The results for the Habs were simply disastrous. The 2010 Stanley Cup run was a fluke and the team was saved by great goaltending, but no flaws were corrected in the following offseasons. Geoff Molson did mention today that the organization needs to find its way back to being a contender, not just a team aiming to get into the playoffs.

It's a good move to have Serge Savard as a consultant.

Also, if owners already know what's going to happen with the Coyotes (or any other team moving to Quebec City), then Molson may have acted fast enough to get Patrick Roy before he stays put in Quebec City.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Archived