NFL Team colors...

wdm1219inpenna

The Broncos have never had sky blue helmets or sky blue in their colors, it was always a shade of royal blue.

The orange & blue was chosen by the fans after the 1961 season when the owners burned the ugly brown and yellow uniforms. They had an open vote at the stadium for new colors and the fans chose the orange & blue uniforms.

ADW77, just wondering what your source is about a fan contest to choose the orange and blue? According to Endzone Sports Charities (ESC):

The first original uniform designed specifically for the team was the creation of Bob Bowie of The Denver Post. Additionally, Bowie is credited with design of the Broncos' 1962 logo as well as having provided numerous game program cover illustrations during the teams' early years. According to Coach Jack Faulkner, Bowie's involvement was solicited in an attempt to gain the press' interest and attention in the team.

Faulkner also noted that the color selection for the uniform style was somewhat of an accident. A student of Paul Brown and a fan of the Cleveland Browns, Faulkner intended the jerseys to be "Texas Orange" a brownish color which, according to Brown, made the ball difficult to spot against the similar colored field of the ball carrier's jersey. An undetermined mix-up somewhere in the order fulfillment process resulted in delivery of Wilson jerseys that were the much brighter "Tennessee Orange".

ESC is not 100% accurate, but they are right about a lot of stuff. I've never before heard anything about an "open vote" of fans to choose the new colors, but I would be interested to hear more about it if you have more info on this topic...

I don't remember which video, but it's either on the 1995 video title Orange Sunday or on the History of the Denver Broncos DVD. It may have been Faulkner, but I'm not 100% certain on who said it, I just remember the part about them holding a vote at the stadium as they modeled the options for new uniforms.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not Tar Heel blue....

Carolina blue is more this shade while Panther's "electric blue" is more this shade...

Judging by your signature, Panthers blue is nothing close to that shade.

yeah but thats still why they picked a lighter shade of blue

No it's not.

I swear this is the 43rd time I've done this...:

NorthCarolinaUOfAthlBlue_9999_SCC_SRGB.png <---> CarolinaPanthersBlue_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

:P

I have lost Track how many times you've done that !

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Someone mentioned it already, but it was just because the Honolulu blue matched up well with silver.

Link to story

"Glenn Presnell, the last surviving member of the first Detroit Lions team of 1934. One of my last questions to him was did he know how the Lions came up with the Honolulu Blue and Silver colors.

His answer blew me away.

?My wife and I were the ones who selected the Lion?s colors,? he said. ?At our meeting in the Fisher Building with the owner G.A. Richards he asked us to look at the different colored jerseys in the next room. There was everything from orange and black to red and white were there. We saw the Honolulu Blue and Silver and we told him that?s what we liked.?

Legend has it that Richards had picked the beautiful deep blue color because it reminded him of the color of the water at Honolulu Hawaii where he vacationed."

I've heard the Eagles' green and silver were based on the color of currency, with Philly having one of two mints* in the country.

I really like that idea - not sure how true it is**, but at the very least, it's a decent coincidence.

*there are actually four mints (Philadelphia, Denver, San Francisco, West Point) but the West Point Mint didn't exist at the time the Eagles became a franchise.

**mints only produce coins - the color green would be irrelevant to coins.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I've heard the Eagles' green and silver were based on the color of currency, with Philly having one of two mints* in the country.

I really like that idea - not sure how true it is**, but at the

very least, it's a decent coincidence.

*there are actually four mints (Philadelphia, Denver, San Francisco, West Point) but the West Point Mint didn't exist at the time the Eagles became a franchise.

**mints only produce coins - the color green would be

irrelevant to coins.

You are correct, so I don't know how true it is either. I've only heard about it from random sources with no official confirmation.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

In the Bills' first two seasons they wore a blue and silver combo similar to Detroit's, because owner Ralph Wilson is a Detroit native and one-time minority owner of the Lions. In 1962 Lou Saban was hired as head coach, having coached the Boston Patriots the previous two seasons. Saban thought the Bills' uniforms needed to be more colorful, so they went with the royal blue-red color scheme, probably inspired by his former team. The red standing bison on the white helmet was also introduced that year.

Coincidentally, the Sabres also had uniforms inspired by another team. The team's first GM and coach, Punch Imlach, chose blue for the unis as a dig at his previous team, the Maple Leafs, who had fired him one year before.

Carolina blue is more this shade while Panther's "electric blue" is more this shade...

No it's not.

NorthCarolinaUOfAthlBlue_9999_SCC_SRGB.png <---> CarolinaPanthersBlue_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Thank you, my good man.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Can someone tell me why the Bucs pewter color cannot be replicated onto clothing? Anytime i see there colors on a shirt or hat the pewter turns out looking more like the 49ers gold, if anything it should be closer to a silver color. If you look at there helmets and pants it's clearly different then the apparel.

Buffalo - I know they had been blue & silver, just like the Lions back in the early 1960s, since Ralph Wilson I believe was part owner of the Lions. I'm assuming he switched to red, white & blue because of it being the "American" Football League, but I'm not sure.

Not sure. But I know they switched to red helmets in the 70s to see them better through the snow.

The white helmets look much better. Thank goodness for global warming.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Buffalo - I know they had been blue & silver, just like the Lions back in the early 1960s, since Ralph Wilson I believe was part owner of the Lions. I'm assuming he switched to red, white & blue because of it being the "American" Football League, but I'm not sure.

Not sure. But I know they switched to red helmets in the 70s to see them better through the snow.

The white helmets look much better. Thank goodness for global warming.

Seeing that Buffalo is known as Nickel City (because nickels used to look like this) it makes more sense for them to wear silver. Not sure how practical that is now that the Patriots are using that basic color scheme (silver, blue & red), but in the absence of that, I'll gladly take the white helmets over the red ones.

Can someone tell me why the Bucs pewter color cannot be replicated onto clothing? Anytime i see there colors on a shirt or hat the pewter turns out looking more like the 49ers gold, if anything it should be closer to a silver color. If you look at there helmets and pants it's clearly different then the apparel.

from a non-technical perspective I'm pretty sure that it has to do with varying materials and how they shine in the light. I'm assuming that initially the color was selected for its appearance on the prototype helmet with a metallic finish (which I happen to believe is its best application by far). I'm then assuming that the next application that was worked on was the pants once they settled on the color. Football pants from the 90's to the present (excluding the non flat/matte versions) made of spandex/nylon blends often can give a very similar shine/sheen (dazzle material) similar to metallic helmet finishes (e.g. raiders silver helmets & pants)so with some minimal effort they were able to get a matching pant textile color. Once the uniform was finalized and signed off on I'm assuming the uniform designers handed off the style sheets and color values to the licensees and the bucs probably just converted the pant or helmet pantone values to generic textile values then forwarded those color values onto the merchandise licensees.

This is where things probably broke down. The metallic friendly pewter pantone values for the pants and helmet do not convert over well to traditional clothing textiles that have a flat finish. NFL licensed clothing is most commonly some blend of cotton and polyester and hats typically are some form of cotton/poly/wool/acrylic which also tend to be flat. As we've seen over the years that conversion of the metallic pewter to flat fabric tends to come out very muddy with an brownish hue to it.

I think there is a solution but what I'm assuming is that someone would have to take the time to actually suggest a substitute flat pewter (perhaps some shade of charcoal) via a much more manual color matching process which has yet to be done by NFL properties or the Bucs.

I'd like to know more as this is my hypothesis so I'm curious to see if I'm anywhere near close.

from a non-technical perspective I'm pretty sure that it has to do with varying materials and how they shine in the light. I'm assuming that initially the color was selected for its appearance on the prototype helmet with a metallic finish (which I happen to believe is its best application by far). I'm then assuming that the next application that was worked on was the pants once they settled on the color. Football pants from the 90's to the present (excluding the non flat/matte versions) made of spandex/nylon blends often can give a very similar shine/sheen (dazzle material) similar to metallic helmet finishes (e.g. raiders silver helmets & pants)so with some minimal effort they were able to get a matching pant textile color. Once the uniform was finalized and signed off on I'm assuming the uniform designers handed off the style sheets and color values to the licensees and the bucs probably just converted the pant or helmet pantone values to generic textile values then forwarded those color values onto the merchandise licensees.

This is where things probably broke down. The metallic friendly pewter pantone values for the pants and helmet do not convert over well to traditional clothing textiles that have a flat finish. NFL licensed clothing is most commonly some blend of cotton and polyester and hats typically are some form of cotton/poly/wool/acrylic which also tend to be flat. As we've seen over the years that conversion of the metallic pewter to flat fabric tends to come out very muddy with an brownish hue to it.

I think there is a solution but what I'm assuming is that someone would have to take the time to actually suggest a substitute flat pewter (perhaps some shade of charcoal) via a much more manual color matching process which has yet to be done by NFL properties or the Bucs.

I'd like to know more as this is my hypothesis so I'm curious to see if I'm anywhere near close.

Obviously a normal fabric is flat and won't have the sheen that a dazzle fabric or a metallic finish has, which is why there are designated 'flat' versions of metallic colors. These flat versions are approved by someone, so the fact that the flat ink or fabric doesn't match the metallic finish or shiny fabric is really on the hands of the person approving the swatches. If they make a bad choice, you get a bad match.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Obviously a normal fabric is flat and won't have the sheen that a dazzle fabric or a metallic finish has, which is why there are designated 'flat' versions of metallic colors. These flat versions are approved by someone, so the fact that the flat ink or fabric doesn't match the metallic finish or shiny fabric is really on the hands of the person approving the swatches. If they make a bad choice, you get a bad match.

The Buccaneers are a unique situation since they dont have specified metallic and flat versions for their pewter, in fact its a custom NFL/Reebok color and they have a single Pantone color as a substitute, but its not preferred.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

No it's not.

That may be the correct official color but it's not even close to the color on their uniforms. That color is much closer to the UNC color.

No it's not.

That may be the correct official color but it's not even close to the color on their uniforms. That color is much closer to the UNC color.

I don't think it's even close personally. The unc blue is a lot lighter

Manchester-City-icon.png

No it's not.

I don't think it's even close personally. The unc blue is a lot lighter

What's the argument going on here? Is this about the Carolina Panthers' blue?

CWx can correct me if I'm wrong, but from my eyeball analysis, it always looked to me like process blue (or cyan, for those not familiar with the print business) was a straight match to the Panthers' shade.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

CWx can correct me if I'm wrong, but from my eyeball analysis, it always looked to me like process blue (or cyan, for those not familiar with the print business) was a straight match to the Panthers' shade.

Panthers do use Process Blue

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived