NBA back to Seattle? NHL too?

WSU151

Isn't everyone associated with the group possibly buying the Hornets associated with Southern Cal, namely, Orange County? Are they still wanting a team in Anaheim? I think they're still a "possibility" for Seattle, but it seems like it's now down to whoever can get them first.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured part of the reason Stern traded Paul to the Clippers was so Anaheim wouldn't be as attractive an option, since the Kings would be an even clearer 3rd. As opposed to the "Clippers are in the Lakers shadow and arena, so there's an opportunity for a team at the level of a 2nd team in most big markets" mentality.

But that's just my conspiracy theory. The Kings staying would put a dent in that Hornets-to-San Jose under the table Warriors theory from a year ago, though. That one was not mine.

San Jose is a non-starter for the same reason Anaheim was. Remember that it was the Warriors' ownership who really led the charge to keep the Kings out of Anaheim, knowing the precedent it would set in their own backyard.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wish I had something to add to this thread, but I don't. Seattle is still continuing its arena plans -- there's the first meeting of the Stadium Advisory Panel (Seattle loves commissions) Wednesday night.

The Kings didn't seem realistic the same way the Hornets do, and who knows what's happening with hockey. Given what's happened with the Sonics and Thrashers/Jets, I know that circumstances change on a dime. I just wish there were a clearer path forward for Seattle.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The only reasons for someone to continually push the idea that the Raptors are leaving are due to sheer ignorance of their situation, a dislike of the NBA in Canada that's strong enough to blind them to the reasons they're going to stay put, or they're just trolling.

Gee....that sounds an awful lot like Canadians continuously craving that NHL teams in Florida, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, etc. should be moved to places like Quebec City, Hamilton, Seattle, a second team in Toronto, and so forth....

I think the NBA can still work in Toronto, it's shown in the past during the Carter days and Bosh era, that the fans will come out and support them. Just put a contending team on the court, that pretty much goes for every NBA team outside of the obvious favorites.

The Raps draw a respectable rate for a team of their stature. 17th in overall attendance, better than Philly, Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston, New Jersey, Indiana and Detroit. I just don't see why the Raps being talked about as possible moving fodder. Will they automatically get better once they move to Seattle? Or will it be the same thing year after year.

It's not realistic obviously, and there are worse off teams from an ownership standpoint that can be moved to Seattle.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'm going to go with the Jingoism rationale.

I'm going to go with the fact that NoHoJoe hasn't made an informed or logical statement on these boards in the 9+ years he's been here.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The only reasons for someone to continually push the idea that the Raptors are leaving are due to sheer ignorance of their situation, a dislike of the NBA in Canada that's strong enough to blind them to the reasons they're going to stay put, or they're just trolling.

Gee....that sounds an awful lot like Canadians continuously craving that NHL teams in Florida, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, etc. should be moved to places like Quebec City, Hamilton, Seattle, a second team in Toronto, and so forth....

The Raptors aren't league owned, bleeding money, and surviving on government handouts like the Coyotes in Phoenix or tarping off the upper deck like the Panthers in Miami. Those teams? There are legitimate concerns regarding their future in their present markets. The Raptors? Well they're owned by a very wealthy corporation and they do reasonably well attendance wise. Comparing the Raptors to the Coyotes or Panthers regarding reasons for wanting to seem them relocated is asinine.

I know you're sore on the Thrashers leaving town for greener pastors, but give it a rest.

Heck, I'd love to see a past quote of mine where I said I wanted the Stars to move, or even the Predators ever since they got their sh1t together. I was critical of that operation when they were up for sale, but the community's turned it around and has really stepped up. In fact I'm pretty sure I've said, multiple times, that I'm fine with southern NHL teams if they can make it work.

Oh, and I would recommend you edit your post. The way it reads it seems like you think Seattle is in Canada.

It's a basketball arena. Most of the "interesting" stuff in one of these things is in the club areas and concourses so the fact that it looks "cookie cutter" is actually probably a good thing (it means they didn't try anything crazy.)

It does look though that it's not dual purpose. Not that Sacramento has any chance of an NHL team, but it just seems silly to limit yourself just... "in case".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It might be dualpurpose. The seats behind the baskets could obviously be removed, and notice that the first three rows of both sideliness are navy instead of purple. That could be to highlight the fact that they are movable (not sure why the rest of the far side is navy). Also, from the far sideline, it appears the first three rows are on a different pitch, which may show that they are on a removable platform.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm an American, and I still want the Coyotes in Quebec City. Putting a team in Hamilton or another one in Toronto is stupid, though. I could be open to a team in Seattle, especially if Stern doesn't let an NBA team come to Seattle.

EDIT: Do you think Seattle is in Canada? I didn't notice that during my first read-through.

spacer.png

Same post as the one I put in the 2011 NBA Season. For people wanting the Kings to be in Seattle, you will be disappointed. Apparently, the Maloofs and the city will combine to make the new arena in SacTown. Overall, this is excellent news for the NBA and will make expansion more possible. Also Sacramentoans won't pay taxes. Heres the Story: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/28/4297999/mayor-johnson-pressed-maloofs.html

Same post as the one I put in the 2011 NBA Season. For people wanting the Kings to be in Seattle, you will be disappointed. Apparently, the Maloofs and the city will combine to make the new arena in SacTown. Overall, this is excellent news for the NBA and will make expansion more possible. Also Sacramentoans won't pay taxes. Heres the Story: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/28/4297999/mayor-johnson-pressed-maloofs.html

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived