NBA back to Seattle? NHL too?

WSU151

Thanks for the update, DG. And admiral, I kind of like that merge idea. Or at least putting the Hornets back in Charlotte. Wonder if it'd make a difference.

It would make a huge difference. If the NBA knew that Charlotte was getting an NBA team shortly after the Hornets moved, they should have put in a place a Supersonics/Browns type of deal and left the Hornets name there. The Bobcats have never really planted their feet in the market and I don't think people love them half as much as the Hornets.

sig.png

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the "not so fast, my friends" category, it'll sounds like the Kings are having second thoughts about the new arena deal, as the Maloofs seem to disagree with the terms of how much they're going to contribute towards the project.

Now's there a story about the Maloofs possibly wanting to do a renovation of Power Balance Pavilion (a building, BTW, they own, as well as the surrounding land).

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2012/04/13/Sacramento-Kings-owners-propose-renovating-old-arena/UPI-21411334338558/

Seattle, keep your hopes up!

In the "not so fast, my friends" category, it'll sounds like the Kings are having second thoughts about the new arena deal, as the Maloofs seem to disagree with the terms of how much they're going to contribute towards the project.

Now's there a story about the Maloofs possibly wanting to do a renovation of Power Balance Pavilion (a building, BTW, they own, as well as the surrounding land).

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2012/04/13/Sacramento-Kings-owners-propose-renovating-old-arena/UPI-21411334338558/

The Sacramento situation is laughable. The city offers to pay 230 million dollars toward the arena, the Maloofs would only have to have provided 73 million of the total cost (an amount Stern revealed today they'd have fronted the Maloofs with 3 million of it having been an outright gift not a loan). The Maloofs obviously did not figure the city would get it together and get the money and are now cockblocking the stadium plan. They still have Anaheim (not Seattle) in their eyes and the money Samueli is going to give them.

The renovation of Arco Arena is just a smoke screen. They know the taxpayers of Sacramento will never approve funds to renovate an arena the Maloofs have spent nearly a decade calling inadequate. Especially since the Maloofs own the damn arena. It would essentially be a city funded renovation of a private building. Won't happen. The Kings only real hope of staying is that the NBA won't approve a relocation of the team either. Particularly from a city that just offered 230 million dollars to the team. This would essentially force the Maloofs to sell which I suspect is ultimately what the NBA wants. They're not very welcome in the owners club and are frankly a bunch of morons who've squandered their family fortune.

The Sacramento situation is laughable. The city offers to pay 230 million dollars toward the arena, the Maloofs would only have to have provided 73 million of the total cost (an amount Stern revealed today they'd have fronted the Maloofs with 3 million of it having been an outright gift not a loan). The Maloofs obviously did not figure the city would get it together and get the money and are now cockblocking the stadium plan. They still have Anaheim (not Seattle) in their eyes and the money Samueli is going to give them.

The renovation of Arco Arena is just a smoke screen. They know the taxpayers of Sacramento will never approve funds to renovate an arena the Maloofs have spent nearly a decade calling inadequate. Especially since the Maloofs own the damn arena. It would essentially be a city funded renovation of a private building. Won't happen. The Kings only real hope of staying is that the NBA won't approve a relocation of the team either. Particularly from a city that just offered 230 million dollars to the team. This would essentially force the Maloofs to sell which I suspect is ultimately what the NBA wants. They're not very welcome in the owners club and are frankly a bunch of morons who've squandered their family fortune.

MEANWHILE, IN ANAHEIM...

543667_10150634842231765_12827521764_9404032_1788681682_n.jpg

lz3nkq-lz3nj0grandterracefront3.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

MEANWHILE, IN ANAHEIM...

543667_10150634842231765_12827521764_9404032_1788681682_n.jpg

lz3nkq-lz3nj0grandterracefront3.jpg

Yep. It's over for Sac at this point. And sadly the one place an NBA team should move to, Seattle, will also still be SOL.

After all this back-and-forth, I'm just of the belief that the Maloofs never had any intentions to stay in Sacramento in the first place. The brothers, at least, seem to be the partying-type, and the Sacramento area (being that big city with a small-town feel) don't exactly fit their image. They've been begging for a new arena practically since they bought the team some 13 years ago, and they've played it cool while the team was winning and the sellouts were abundant, but since the Kings have struggled both on the court and at the gate, the pissing and moaning about an ARCO/PBP replacement has been front and center.

Let's remember that this is a region that has a history of selling out Kings home games for teams as just as bad, if not worst, than the current squad, so obviously the problem isn't fan apathy. Next to the current state of the economy of the Sacramento Valley, the people there are fed up with the Magoofs and are starting to call them on their BS. As much as it would be nice to see Seattle back in the NBA, Sacramento doesn't deserve to lose their team like this.

If I were a Kings fan, I'd disavow them at the point unless the Maloofs sold them.

This is becoming like the Charlotte Hornets, except I feel like the Maloofs are trying to get driven out of town.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

If I were a Kings fan, I'd disavow them at the point unless the Maloofs sold them.

This is becoming like the Charlotte Hornets, except I feel like the Maloofs are trying to get driven out of town.

Except that Sacramento won't be handed a new team in a few years.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Which is pathetic when you consider that unlike most cities that have lost their teams over the years Sac has done everything right and everything the league/team asked of them including rushing through a $250 million dollar payment to build a new home for the team. I can't recall another instance in sports history where the team/league and city got this far into negotiations with an existing franchise only to have the owner torpedo it. The Maloofs were given exactly what most teams threaten to leave town over BEFORE they get it. Not AFTER. The Maloofs after yesterday are now the worst sports team owners in American history. I can't think of anyone worse at this point.

Which is pathetic when you consider that unlike most cities that have lost their teams over the years Sac has done everything right and everything the league/team asked of them including rushing through a $250 million dollar payment to build a new home for the team. I can't recall another instance in sports history where the team/league and city got this far into negotiations with an existing franchise only to have the owner torpedo it. The Maloofs were given exactly what most teams threaten to leave town over BEFORE they get it. Not AFTER. The Maloofs after yesterday are now the worst sports team owners in American history. I can't think of anyone worse at this point.

From what little I know about this situation, it sure seems like you're right. That being said, despite the fan and political support, Sacramento just doesn't seem like one of those markets that is important enough to the league to get a "Cleveland Deal". Not sure if it's the market size, lack of on-court success, or what, but it just doesn't seem that way to this uneducated outsider.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The NBA should do everything with in the rules to vote down the move to Anaheim and force the Maloofs to move somewhere they don't want to or sell the team.

Which is what I imagine is gonna happen. There's pretty much a snowball's chance in hell that their relocation request is gonna be approved (for reasons that bosrs1 have already mentioned), and the Maloofs will probably be out of the NBA in a couple of years. Still, this is a complete mess and it severely jeopardizes any chance that the city has of keeping the team, even after they seemingly did everything that was necessary to keep the team.

It's really a shame; just when the ownership situation in New Orleans FINALLY gets cleared up, this bull :censored: has to go down. I feel for the Kings fans, they deserve much better than this.

From what little I know about this situation, it sure seems like you're right. That being said, despite the fan and political support, Sacramento just doesn't seem like one of those markets that is important enough to the league to get a "Cleveland Deal". Not sure if it's the market size, lack of on-court success, or what, but it just doesn't seem that way to this uneducated outsider.

I would agree with that. However, Sacramento has at least shown it can support an NBA team. Also, there aren't any decent markets left aside from Seatete. If a team needs to be moved somewhere, and Seattle already has a team, I think Sacto would be the no brainer choice.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.news10.net/news/article/191516/2/Mayor-No-Kings-arena-deal-with-Maloofs-

Several attempts to rework a Kings arena deal with the Maloofs, the Kings owners, have ended.

Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said "our differences are irreconcilable" in a news conference Friday after meeting with George Maloof for several hours earlier Friday, Thursday and last week.

"We worked really hard, we did everything we said we would do, and it still wasn't enough," Johnson said.

I think its safe to say they're done in the Capital, guess they'll be Anaheim bound in no time.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived