NBA back to Seattle? NHL too?

WSU151

^That makes me think.. sorry if its been asked before, but could a team (Phoenix as an example) use the Sonics name in Seattle? I know it'd be registered to the OKC and the NBA but would they have any claim on the name being used in the city for an NHL team?

(I appreciate that it'd be unlikely as they name would be 'saved' for a returning basketball team).

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^That makes me think.. sorry if its been asked before, but could a team (Phoenix as an example) use the Sonics name in Seattle? I know it'd be registered to the OKC and the NBA but would they have any claim on the name being used in the city for an NHL team?

(I appreciate that it'd be unlikely as they name would be 'saved' for a returning basketball team).

No. The NBA owns the name, and they would have to sell it to the hockey owners in order for them to use it. They won't do that because 1) they plan on putting a new Supersonics basketball team there, and 2) they want the name for merchandising rights.

All that's left to do is put those ridiculous Jamison rumors to rest and then we can figure out if the Coyotes will move to Quebec City or Seattle.

It would be pretty crappy if Seattle got a team before Quebec, but luckily for both cities, there are plenty of failing hockey teams to go around. A third of the league is at or below failing. OITGDNHL

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I didn't read the specifics of the deal, but if we've learned anything over the last few years about these types of things, until a shovel is in the ground, nothing is settled.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No. The NBA owns the name, and they would have to sell it to the hockey owners in order for them to use it. They won't do that because 1) they plan on putting a new Supersonics basketball team there, and 2) they want the name for merchandising rights.

Thanks for the clarification. It wouldn't be right if another league could just rock up and use the name, even if the logo and colours were completely different.

It would be pretty crappy if Seattle got a team before Quebec, but luckily for both cities, there are plenty of failing hockey teams to go around. A third of the league is at or below failing. OITGDNHL

True... its just a shame they don't have a commissioner who has the vision to relocate teams to markets that probably would do better that their present homes.

Just saw it on the local news a bit ago. The deal is finally done. And the timing seems right with the Sacramento Kings and Phoenix Coyotes situations simultaneously imploding (albeit in extreme slow motion). I am allowing myself to be optimistic about this.

Seattle Times article posted just an hour ago

The hardest part of this comeback quest is all but over now. The Seattle City Council has reached an agreement with Hansen on his $490 million arena plan. And for once, the city's annoying affinity for process, debate and universal pacification appears to have resulted in a digestible situation for Hansen, the Port of Seattle and all businesses concerned with how even more Sodo congestion will affect their bottom line.

Kings may take some time. Hansen has already offered the Maloofs $400 million for the Kings, which is $100 mil more than Forbes valued the franchise at. And the Maloofs balked. I think they still think either Anaheim (which they've wanted to move to for 15 years) or Virginia Beach are a potential option for them to move to and maintain ownership. Though VA Beach is seeming less likely by the day with their city council's concerns growing, and Anaheim is not something the league will allow without a fight. So really it comes down to when the Maloofs give up their quest to maintain ownership or go bankrupt. Whichever happens first.

Either way though, Hansen is likely in the catbird seat to snag them eventually. :censored: the Maloofs.

I didn't read the specifics of the deal, but if we've learned anything over the last few years about these types of things, until a shovel is in the ground, nothing is settled.

On that note, the shovels are in the ground in Quebec City. You can even watch here if you have absolutely run out of things to do on the internet. Allons-y!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On that note, the shovels are in the ground in Quebec City. You can even watch here if you have absolutely run out of things to do on the internet. Allons-y!

Coyotes or Islanders...

no I <3 the Islanders :(

And besides they're worth too much in that market with the cable deal.

Probably, plus there's always Brooklyn. And Phoenix's sale should be completely derailed in less than two months when the city suddenly has no money to give Jamison after the tax hike is killed by the voters.

Probably, plus there's always Brooklyn. And Phoenix's sale

should be completely derailed in less than two months when the city suddenly has no money to give Jamison after the tax hike is killed by the voters.

Won't Brooklyn not work as a hockey arena though?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

should be completely derailed in less than two months when the city suddenly has no money to give Jamison after the tax hike is killed by the voters.

Is something working really important to the NHL though?

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Not perfectly, but given the location and the prestige that would go with being in Brooklyn I think they'd look past the imperfections. Plus it's better than Asbestos Arena. I can just see the mesothelioma lawyer ads for that place.

Not overly familiar with it myself. Is that down to the seating being a horseshoe?

Speaking from a UK perspective (local arena uses horseshoe) its not that much of a problem. Just means you can't sit behind one goal. No biggie.

And surely the only time it would cause a problem in Brooklyn is if they become incredibly popular again, which even if they do, tickets would be hard to come by anyway.

Not perfectly, but given the location and the prestige that would go with being in Brooklyn I think they'd look past the imperfections. Plus it's better than Asbestos Arena. I can just see the mesothelioma lawyer ads for that place.

...plus, as long as they continue to collect that $20 million-a-year TV contract from MSG Networks, the Isles moving to Barclays probably wouldn't hurt as much as some may think.

But isn't the seating arrangement at Barclays detrimental to a hockey game?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

But isn't the seating arrangement at Barclays detrimental to a hockey game?

Only for 1/4 of the arena. Not that it would ultimately matter.

In other news Seattle's council approved the deal. And it even includes a provision to upgrade portions of Key Arena to act as a temp venue. Looks like Hansen and Seattle plan to act fast.

Archived