NBA back to Seattle? NHL too?

WSU151

I've wanted the Seattle Thunderbirds to make the jump to the NHL since I was a little kid. I love that identity.

Short of the Metropolitans returning, the Thunderbirds would be my second choice for an NHL team identity in Seattle.

seattle_thunderbirds_2003.gif

2008674168.jpg

Calvin-Pickard.png

spacer.png

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name=bosrs1' timestamp='1328651678'

post='1746428]

Sacramento's Metro area is bigger than San Jose's... since when? :therock:

Take a look at the 2010 census. Sacramento metropolitan area has 2.1m people, San Jose has 1.8m.

Sacramento's metro area population is not bigger than Portland's, though.

^ I'm a Sac State grad. I'd love nothing more than to see the Hornets and Aggies in the Pac 12. However the Big

Sky ain't big-time. At least not yet.

So what you meant to say is there are no major collegiate athletic departments nearby. The universities are major...their enrollments are huge.

Oh you're using that definition. It's not a realistic one as it assumes that people in southern Alameda County

(Fremont, Newark, Sunol, etc...) and southern San Mateo County (Menlo Park, East PA, Woodside, etc...) aren't in "San Jose's metro area" which anyone who has spent 5 minutes in the Bay Area knows is BS. A far better definition of San Jose's metro area is somewhere between the "metro" and the "Urban" population of 7.5 million. Arbitrary lines are nice to draw on census data but they don't reflect reality in many cases, this is one. The census still runs on the out of date premise that San Francisco is the center of the Bay Area and largest city.

A lot of studies are based on US Census numbers rather than the more nebulous "Well, if you lived here for five minutes, you'd realize such and such" numbers.

True. But it doesn't mean they're reflective of the region. The Bay Area "metro" MSA areas are divided between the

entire east bay and peninsula (both of which extend to within a few miles of San Jose) as one large region and then divide just the immediate area around San Jose out like it's a separate entity. While it may work for the census bureau when creating their MSA's, it doesn't reflect the geography or sociology of the region accurately. A better measure is the CSA that defines the Bay Area as a whole.

Makes sense.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Puck Daddy brought up good points about QC & Seattle

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/building-challenges-seattle-quebec-city-nhl-markets-190121844.html

Plus, even the booster club for the Yotes are also thinking this is it, if your own booster club is shutting down shop, things don't look good

from http://www.phxcoyotesboosterclub.com/

I never thought I would be saying goodbye to this club this way.

When Dave Horn and I decided to work together to bring the Club back to life 5 years ago, neither one of us thought we'd still be running it 5 years later. We wanted to build a successful club that many people would want to be a part of, and a natural succession would happen to new leadership from time to time.

It was GREAT working with the Coyotes back then. They even gave us money to help get us started in that first year. We were important to the team, they asked for our help, and we willingly gave it to them.

Then the bankruptcy threw a wrench into everything Coyotes related for everyone. It has been a hard 2.5+ years, but we have stuck through it, and helped the Coyotes wherever they would let us. As things changed for them and their focus became more targeted to ticket sales, we were also dragged into that focus change - one we were not all that thrilled about.

Unfortunately, the bar is set too high. No one has the kind of time it takes to run this club, it turns out. So we have had to make the tough decision.

At our final meeting on Saturday, we will be folding the Phoenix Coyotes Booster Club.

We want to emphasize yet again that this has NOTHING to do with ownership. We don't have an inside secret that is helping us to make this decision. This is a personal one for all of us. We simply don't have the time to run this club anymore. We all hope the team stays here forever, and we still believe strongly that it is not good for ANYONE if the team was to leave.

So hang on as Coyotes fans. This isn't over. Our team is staying, and there still might be something we might have to stand up and fight for. Be ready.

As always, we will be here. Just not in the same form we have been.

baltimoreravens.png

Who's dumb idea was it to move the Kings to Sacramento in the first place?

Sacramento is a top 25 market, with a 20% growth rate since 2000. Its metropolitan area is larger than:

- charlotte

- portland

- cincinatti

- orlando

- cleveland

- kansas city

- indianapolis

- vegas

- san jose

- oklahoma city

Most of these cities have major universities nearby as well. Sacramento does not.

But is it also true Sacramento doesn't have much by way of private industry? That was my key point. If your primary employer is government, you're not as financially flexible as those other cities with more diverse economies.

not necessarily... Sacramento has a decent tech industry, with Intel, HP, and Apple all in the area. We could certainly attract more though.

timmy.png

I've wanted the Seattle Thunderbirds to make the jump to the NHL since I was a little kid. I love that identity.

Short of the Metropolitans returning, the Thunderbirds would be my second choice for an NHL team identity in Seattle.

seattle_thunderbirds_2003.gif

2008674168.jpg

Calvin-Pickard.png

Yes.

I think a slight tweaking of the colors to make them not so Canucks-ish, such as maybe making green the more prominant primary color of the set.

sig.png

^^^Those Thunderbirds jerseys are fantastic! I agree that a slight colour change would help. Not so they look different from the Canucks, but from the Whalers.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Might need to throw San Diego in there as well. They were discussing today how the new arena they'd like to build in addition to a new Chargers stadium would need a tenant (NHL or NBA).

I would think NBA would be top of San Diego's list, I don't think San Diego would suit the NHL and vice versa (unless there is a secret hockey fan base in SD that nobody knows about), on the other hand San Diego could be a good location for the Kings if things don't go well in Sacramento.

Might need to throw San Diego in there as well. They were discussing today how the new arena they'd like to build in addition to a new Chargers stadium would need a tenant (NHL or NBA).

I would think NBA would be top of San Diego's list, I don't think San Diego would suit the NHL and vice versa (unless there is a secret hockey fan base in SD that nobody knows about), on the other hand San Diego could be a good location for the Kings if things don't go well in Sacramento.

It was funny. The radio hosts talking about it this morning agreed with you. However every caller they talked to during my commute thought the NHL would be a better choice. They figured there really is a hidden hockey fan base in San Diego just waiting to go to games which with SD's transplant population might just be the case. Or maybe it's NBA backlash over the work stoppage. Anecdotally I'm inclined to agree with the callers. I've met quite a few hockey fans in San Diego who root for teams as far away as Vancouver and Boston. Hell I've even found a hockey friendly bar easy enough right in downtown. But I don't run into too many vocal or apparent basketball fans. And those that I do run into were already sucked up by the Lakers (who do make annual forays down into San Diego to expand their fan base). The two LA area hockey teams by comparison practically ignore San Diego like the Clippers do.

It was funny. The radio hosts talking about it this morning agreed with you. However every caller they talked to during my commute thought the NHL would be a better choice. They figured there really is a hidden hockey fan base in San Diego just waiting to go to games which with SD's transplant population might just be the case. Or maybe it's NBA backlash over the work stoppage. Anecdotally I'm inclined to agree with the callers. I've met quite a few hockey fans in San Diego who root for teams as far away as Vancouver and Boston. Hell I've even found a hockey friendly bar easy enough right in downtown. But I don't run into too many vocal or apparent basketball fans. And those that I do run into were already sucked up by the Lakers (who do make annual forays down into San Diego to expand their fan base). The two LA area hockey teams by comparison practically ignore San Diego like the Clippers do.

Not being from San Diego I wouldn't know, but are the current sport teams supported well?? Maybe the people of San Diego are craving another sport team, be it a totally different (to the people of SD) sport like NHL hockey or the all too familiar, seemingly decreasing popularity of the NBA... who knows?

As everybody knows for a team to succeed they need the fan base (as well as stable ownership and suitable facilities), and I believe maybe if San Diego can prove they have a sufficient fan base for a hockey team, they could be considered by the NHL....

In this day and age it's all speculation and as the old saying goes: 'actions speak louder than words'.......

San Diego has a history with pro ice hockey that dates back to the 1940s. In fact, since 1944, major-pro (WHA) and minor-pro (PCHL, WHL, PHL, IHL, WCHL, ECHL) teams have taken to the ice in 35 seasons over 62 years. The 1950s and 1980s were basically the fallow periods.

San Diego Skyhawks - Pacific Coast Hockey League - 1944-45 through 1949-50

San Diego Gulls - Western Hockey League - 1966-67 through 1973-74

San Diego Mariners - World Hockey association - 1974-75 through 1976-77

San Diego Mariners - Pacific Hockey League - 1977-78

San Diego Hawks - Pacific Hockey League - 1978-79

San Diego Gulls - International Hockey League - 1990-91 through 1994-95

San Diego Gulls - West Coast Hockey League - 1995-96 through 2002-03

San Diego Gulls - ECHL - 2003-04 through 2005-06

So, if Seattle gets another NBA team, that will likely mean:

-The new Seattle team will claim the Sonics' history, which is "shared" with the Thunder, essentially making them the Sonics Jr.

-The Thunder are the Sonics Also and have been since they moved to Oklahoma City.

-The team that moves to Seattle will have their history in Seattle, but likely ignored by the new Seattle franchise, who has that team's original history, while also claiming/having the history of the original franchise that played in Seattle, which now plays in Oklahoma City and also has the history of the original franchise that played in Seattle.

Good job, Cleveland!!

So, if Seattle gets another NBA team, that will likely mean:

-The new Seattle team will claim the Sonics' history, which is "shared" with the Thunder, essentially making them the Sonics Jr.

-The Thunder are the Sonics Also and have been since they moved to Oklahoma City.

-The team that moves to Seattle will have their history in Seattle, but likely ignored by the new Seattle franchise, who has that team's original history, while also claiming/having the history of the original franchise that played in Seattle, which now plays in Oklahoma City and also has the history of the original franchise that played in Seattle.

Good job, Cleveland!!

New Seattle Sonics = New Winnipeg Jets

San Diego has a history with pro ice hockey that dates back to the 1940s. In fact, since 1944, major-pro (WHA) and minor-pro (PCHL, WHL, PHL, IHL, WCHL, ECHL) teams have taken to the ice in 35 seasons over 62 years. The 1950s and 1980s were basically the fallow periods.

San Diego Skyhawks - Pacific Coast Hockey League - 1944-45 through 1949-50

San Diego Gulls - Western Hockey League - 1966-67 through 1973-74

San Diego Mariners - World Hockey association - 1974-75 through 1976-77

San Diego Mariners - Pacific Hockey League - 1977-78

San Diego Hawks - Pacific Hockey League - 1978-79

San Diego Gulls - International Hockey League - 1990-91 through 1994-95

San Diego Gulls - West Coast Hockey League - 1995-96 through 2002-03

San Diego Gulls - ECHL - 2003-04 through 2005-06

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of bringing the NHL to SD...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Archived