NBA back to Seattle? NHL too?

WSU151

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chris Hansen will own the Seattle arena...

Actually, the City of Seattle will own the land and the arena structure.

In fact, one of the new provisions in the memorandum of understanding that was signed this week would compel Hansen's ownership group to buy the arena from the City of Seattle if the municipality no longer wants it after 32 years. This provision was put into the MOU in order to protect the city from having a "white elephant" facility on its hands three decades from now.

Well, I actually found this forum oh so many, many years ago by way of the Portland MLB effort. (That site finally seems to have died. R.I.P.) as much as I was rooting for those folks, it seems that maybe going the soccer route was the right thing to do. Back then, I couldn't imagine it -- soccer over baseball, even Triple-A, seemed ludicrous. But then you see how it actually fits quite nicely in a one-major city, and now it all make sense.

I don't think an NHL-NBA combo alone would work. I'm straining to think of one right now. It just seems that it makes better sense to grow seasonally as you make your way to the Big 4... or 5... or 3+2... or 2+3... whatever. Before that you're sort of an "either/or" in the winter sports. It works better for both leagues that way, you'd think.

I guess I am saying that the NBA and NHL both seem as an entry-level to pro sports. But once you're there, you don't use that new status to go get the other one. You use it as a step to MLB or NFL.

Agreed...there are no MLB markets that only have a baseball team. And the NFL only has Jacksonville as a market with no other pro teams (Green Bay counts for Milwaukee IMO).

But even without Green Bay, Milwaukee still has the Buc...

...you're right, the Packers do count as a Milwaukee team. :D

• 3 weeks later...

No shock here...

http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Seattle-arena-project-expected-to-get-official-approval-Monday-174120641.html

In near back-to-back votes Monday afternoon, the King County and Seattle councils approved the proposed NBA / NHL arena project in Seattle's SODO neighborhood. County councilmembers voted unanimously (9-0) to approve the revised deal, while the city coucil vote was 7-2.

They'll be signing the legislation tomorrow @ 1:30 P.M. PST at the Rainier Valley Boys & Girls Club. Looks like Seattle is going to get back the Sonics, or at least get pretty close to it.

baltimoreravens.png

But even without Green Bay, Milwaukee still has the Buc...

...you're right, the Packers do count as a Milwaukee team. :D

Whoops! Forgot about the Bucks, sorry about that.

Meanwhile in Sacramento, PBP is no more as of 11/1.

sleeptrain_6702.jpg

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Apropos, since it's pretty quiet in there these days.

I love how Arco Arena looks like a suburban office park for some company called, I dunno, "Unlimited Solutions." I hope they never leave.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

_

_Well, I actually found this forum oh so many, many years ago by way of the Portland MLB effort. (That site finally seems to have died. R.I.P.) as much as I was rooting for those folks, it seems that maybe going the soccer route was the right thing to do. Back then, I couldn't imagine it -- soccer over baseball, even Triple-A, seemed ludicrous. But then you see how it actually fits quite nicely in a one-major city, and now it all make sense.

_

_I don't think an NHL-NBA combo alone would work. I'm straining to think of one right now. It just seems that it makes better sense to grow seasonally as you make your way to the Big 4... or 5... or 3+2... or 2+3... whatever. Before that you're sort of an "either/or" in the winter sports. It works better for both leagues that way, you'd think.

_

_I guess I am saying that the NBA and NHL both seem as an entry-level to pro sports. But once you're there, you don't use that new status to go get the other one. You use it as a step to MLB or NFL.

_

_

_Agreed...there are no MLB markets that only have a baseball team. And the NFL only has Jacksonville as a market with no other pro teams (Green Bay counts for Milwaukee IMO).

_

_The Tennessee Titans might disagree with that statement.

Satire or serious? Nashville has the Titans and the Predators.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

_

_Well, I actually found this forum oh so many, many years ago by way of the Portland MLB effort. (That site finally seems to have died. R.I.P.) as much as I was rooting for those folks, it seems that maybe going the soccer route was the right thing to do. Back then, I couldn't imagine it -- soccer over baseball, even Triple-A, seemed ludicrous. But then you see how it actually fits quite nicely in a one-major city, and now it all make sense.

_

_I don't think an NHL-NBA combo alone would work. I'm straining to think of one right now. It just seems that it makes better sense to grow seasonally as you make your way to the Big 4... or 5... or 3+2... or 2+3... whatever. Before that you're sort of an "either/or" in the winter sports. It works better for both leagues that way, you'd think.

_

_I guess I am saying that the NBA and NHL both seem as an entry-level to pro sports. But once you're there, you don't use that new status to go get the other one. You use it as a step to MLB or NFL.

_

_

_Agreed...there are no MLB markets that only have a baseball team. And the NFL only has Jacksonville as a market with no other pro teams (Green Bay counts for Milwaukee IMO).

_

You consider the NHL a pro league these days?

_

_

_

_

_

_

Yeah I do. A lockout or two doesn't change the status. Are NHL players amateurs?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

_

_

_

_

_

_

Yeah I do. A lockout or two doesn't change the status. Are NHL players amateurs?

Depends on what they're doing.

Archived