Sentimentally-deserving teams that didn't win

dbadefense1990

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2002 Sacramento Kings.

Opened this thread just to post that. That was a really good team that didn't get a fair shake.

They were screwed by the Refs and basketball was destroyed in Sac Town forever.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This is a totally subjective thing, of course. But I'll share my two personal ones.

The 2002 Cardinals seemed to be a team of destiny. Long time broadcaster and Cardinal icon Jack Buck passed away on June 18. On that day Darryl Kile pitched the Cardinals into first place. It was the last start he would every make as he passed 4 days later. The Cardinals did not fall out of first place after that start by Kile even though they received starts from Jason Simontacchi, Bud Smith, Garrett Stephenson, Woody Williams, Jamey Wright, Andy Benes, Chuck Finley, and Matt Morris. There may have been others. Unfortunately, big acquisition Scott Rolen injured his shoulder in the NLDS and they ran into a hot Giants team in the NLCS. It was a bit crushing, because it seemed to be fate.

The 2004-05 Illini seemed like one too. Not only did they just come together with a crazy good season and were the #1 team in the country basically all season long, but Bruce Weber's mother passed while the Big Ten Tournament was being played in Chicago that year. She had a heart attack in the United Center if I recall correctly. The Illini had lost their first and only game of the regular season in the last game to Ohio State. They would rebound to win that same Big Ten Tournament. Then they of course rolled to the Elite 8. Seemed like their journey was over again until their ridiculous 15 point comeback in less than four minutes against Arizona. And then, after beating Louisville in the Final Four, they faced North Carolina, people's other #1 (meaning it was debatable, but many felt they were the best). The Illini again fell down 15 (this time it was a little sooner--just after halftime), and rallied all the way back. But it was their worst shooting game of the year and Sean May dominated (largely due to the way the officials treated him, but that's another discussion), and they fell short.

Those are the most glaring examples of my teams where it just seemed wrong that they didn't finish things off. But that's sports.

Homer pick(s): The 1997 and 1998 Jazz. The closest Stockton and Malone (save his dreaded Laker trip) would ever get to a ring, and without a doubt the two best teams the Jazz ever fielded. D*mn Bulls. D*mn Michael Jordan.

Non-homer pick: I'll second the 2002 Kings. I was really pulling for them against LA, and it really stung to see them go down like they did. I truly thought they were the better team in the series.

Also, I'd like to add the 2003 Mighty Ducks. The run they had just seemed destined to end with a cup, and would have made for a great story.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The 2001 Rams were in the process of being mismanaged by a whithered crone. Where's our deservingness?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Surprised nobody has mentioned to 2006 Detroit Tigers, 2007 Colorado Rockies, or the 2009 Tampa Bay Rays for their fairy tale runs came up short in the World Series.

Another could be the 2009 Angels, who saw pitcher Nick Adenhart pass away tragically in a car accident in April of that season.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Is there a losing team from 1975 forward that isn't on that list? :rolleyes:

I'm too young to remember anything pre-1970s. Feel free to add if you like.

Because 1969 took place after the 70's?

Wow. Going all technical here... :grin:

Stop talking about teams.

Was Jean van de Velde the most deserving winning a title (The 1999 Open Championship) before shooting a triple bogey on the 72nd hole? Same could be said for the misses of Greg Norman or a tennis player who lost in a Grand Slam final. Heck, look up about the life of Roberto De Vincenzo at the 1968 Masters.

No one.

Yeah pretty much. If you didn't win, you didn't deserve it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Duke was the better team, but boy would it have been something for the 2010 Butler Bulldogs to win that championship.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

"Martin" Hossa (it's Marian, BTW) is not a Red Wing. Never will be.

And I'm with Mindless. Storyline or not, no one "deserves" a championship. Every team faces adversity in one way or another-- not that it's always as public as what Kraft went through, but it's silly to say that a team "deserves" a title because of factors surrounding the team.

I think the OP was trying to say "nice championship stories that never happened." I agree with everyone else, if you didn't win, you don't "deserve" it... (barring a bad call or something of that nature... like the 1999 Sabres)

Best pro teams of my lifetine to NOT win it all:

1990 San Francisco 49ers

1990 Buffalo Bills

1993 Phoenix Suns

1997 Utah Jazz

1998 Minnesota Vikings

2001 St. Louis Rams

2004 Colorado Avalanche

2005 Indianapolis Colts

2007 New England Patriots

2011 Green Bay Packers

Not that any of teams "deserved" to be champions. They all had the talent and great chances to win it all, but in the end, couldn't cut the mustard .... or had to face Michael Jordan. ^_^

6uXNWAo.png

The 1962, '63 and or '64 Houston Colt .45's

No on field reason why they deserved to win. They lost 96 games all three years. They flat out awful as a matter of fact. I just would like to see if they would still change the name after they had just won a World Series.

Archived