Sentimentally-deserving teams that didn't win

dbadefense1990

This thread will pretty much be "teams you'd like to have seen win."

The 2003 Cubs did not "deserve" to win. They choked. I wish they had won it all...that would have been fun to see.

The 1994 Expos. I would argue that their fans (how ever many there were) did "deserve" to see what would have happened. And I'd love to have seen the Expos win a World Series

The Stockton/Malone Jazz. It would have been nice to see a small market team with two long-term stars get one. Likewise, the 2004 Timberwolves; KG getting one on his original team. (Homer pick, obviously)

The 1991 Minnesota North Stars. Probably the least "deserving" on this thread. 17th best record in the NHL, squeaked into the playoffs and made a run to the finals. It would be nice for the cup to spend a year in Minnesota (and in no way do I feel they are "deserving", remember...I'd just have enjoyed it).

The 1998 Vikings. That was a tough way to watch them go out. They may have lost that super bowl...they were waning on their way into the playoffs. The 09 Vikings as well...just take care of the ball.

Off the top of my head, most of 'em are just homer picks; pretty much "most disappointing what ifs".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NFL Films made some good documentaries on great teams that didn't win it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkN0P3aRIE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71DQsEsIaXY

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

spacer.png

The 1962, '63 and or '64 Houston Colt .45's

No on field reason why they deserved to win. They lost 96 games all three years. They flat out awful as a matter of fact. I just would like to see if they would still change the name after they had just won a World Series.

The 1969 Seattle Pilots. They were also flat out awful. I'd just like to know if they still would have moved to Milwaukee if they had won the World Series.

BB52Big.jpg

The '04 Calgary Flames. Martin Gelinas scores to win game 6 and the Cup, but the goal judge doesn't see it. (That would have been Gelinas' 4th series winner that year)

The '06 Edmonton Oilers. Roloson doesn't get hurt and Conklin doesn't screw up, Edmonton becomes the first 8 seed to win the Cup.

The '93 Leafs. Gretzky high-sticks Gilmour and Kerry Fraser doesn't call it. Gretzky scores the game winner moments later to send the Kings to the Finals and ruin the last chance ever for a Toronto-Montreal Final.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2005 Seahawks under Mike Holmgren were probably the best team of that year, but bad plays and penalties cost them, it was there own fault and they let the Steelers trample all over them. No team deserves anything, they have to earn it, and in Super Bowl 40 the Seahawks beat themselves and didn't earn it, inevitably leaving Pittsburgh to reap the rewards.

NFL:

-2011 Pats (reasons above)

-2008 Cardinals (Warner's 2nd ring, Fitzgerald's niceness, Cards not winning since the 1940s)

-2006 Bears (Urlacher, Lovie Smith, Hester)

-1999 Titans (retrospect, McNair's death)

-1990 Bills (retrospect, because of the eventual SB losses)

-1979 Rams (for all the misery of the 1970s, their only title opportunity in Los Angeles)

What the hell!?? Steve McNair died 10 years after SB 34.....

And if a team deserves a championship because of how nice someone is, well I think the Browns 'deserve' to win the next Super Bowl, because the guy who cleans the toilets at Cleveland Browns Stadium is a REALLY NICE GUY....

NFL:

-1999 Titans (retrospect, McNair's death)

What the hell!?? Steve McNair died 10 years after SB 34.....

He's saying that now that he's dead, it would have been nice for him to have won that Super Bowl.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Maybe rename this thread "good to great teams that didn't win it all"

1987 49ers (13-2) still haunts me. Getting upset at home by the 8-7 Minnesota Vikings in the divisional playoffs still pisses me off.

That remains the last big win the Vikings have had.

That Vikes team was not as good as the Niners, but the 8-7 is a bit misleading; that was the year with the replacement games. The Vikes' replacement players went 0-3, so the "real team" was a solid 8-4.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Duke was the better team, but boy would it have been something for the 2010 Butler Bulldogs to win that championship.

They may have been more talented, but Butler was better that day, as they barely lost with the referees doing their best Nick Patrick impression. If that game was called down the middle, Zoubek would have fouled out in the first half and Butler wins comfortably. I am not alledging a fix, just that we saw some of the most horribly biased champsionship game officiating... since 2005.:mad:

OldRomanSig2.jpg

One more I'd like to add - the 2003 Carolina Panthers. Thier play in XXXVIII is still one of the most valiantly-fought losing efforts I've ever seen in a Super Bowl.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Maybe rename this thread "good to great teams that didn't win it all"

1987 49ers (13-2) still haunts me. Getting upset at home by the 8-7 Minnesota Vikings in the divisional playoffs still pisses me off.

That remains the last big win the Vikings have had.

That Vikes team was not as good as the Niners, but the 8-7 is a bit misleading; that was the year with the replacement games. The Vikes' replacement players went 0-3, so the "real team" was a solid 8-4.

I agree. That Vikings probably would have went 12-4 or 11-5 if it was a normal season.

1972 Team USA basketball

Oh hell yes. That was a deserving team that was cheated out of their medal.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

My 2008 fantasy football team. Hobbled in the final week by mere circumstance. Screw you, Rob.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The 2002 SacKings (officiating so biased it transcended the sport and got Ralph Nader to complain) and '94 Expos (cancelled season) are worth mentioning as teams that were very legitimately screwed over by forces beyond the other team in the game. Most everything else is "a good team that could have won but didn't." Those are reasons to say a team probably deserved to win and couldn't; the death of a plutocrat's wife is not.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Some Deserving Teams (3 teams each):

MLB:

2011 Texas Rangers (2 lost chances to win it all, first world series)

2008 Tampa Bay Rays (They would've been the greatest cinderella story in MLB history if not for the Phils)

1993 SF Giants (103 wins and still not made the postseason)

NFL:

2011 Green Bay Packers (They could've one of the most dominating seasons in NFL history)

2009 Indianapolis Colts (Peyton's second ring was erased by an INT)

2007 New England Patriots (Should've won the Super Bowl and completed the first perfect season on a 16 regular game schedule)

NBA:

2010 Miami Heat (Lebron could've proved his critics wrong with a championship)

2002 Sacramento Kings (Conspiracy theories that support the Lakers, and Chris Webber would win his first championship)

1996-98 Utah Jazz (Would've have a 3-peat if it wasn't for MJ)

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived