Sentimentally-deserving teams that didn't win

dbadefense1990

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2010 Winter Olympics.

Team USA Hockey. The goal to send it to OT just seemed like destiny. Then that fluke goal happened and now lives in Canada hockey lore. It would've been crazy to witness the big bad Canadians get taken down in their own country

+1. @&^!(*@# Crosby.

2010 Winter Olympics.

Team USA Hockey. The goal to send it to OT just seemed like destiny. Then that fluke goal happened and now lives in Canada hockey lore. It would've been crazy to witness the big bad Canadians get taken down in their own country

+1. @&^!(*@# Crosby.

+1. @&^!(*@# Crosby.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

+10. @&^!(*@# Crosby.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

MLB

--2010-11 Texas Rangers. Hopefully they win it all in 2012 (as long as they don't have to go through the Cardinals again); I can't imagine a team's fans suffering so much (as far as not winning it all) since the early 1990s Bills.

I honestly don't think the rangers will ever recover from being one strike away from winning the World Series.

As a life long Ranger fan, that's one strike away from winning it all twice in a game. That was hell on earth. The first time was crazy but when we had a second chance inthe same gae to win it all hurt like anything.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

Like has been said before, 2002 Kings and 1994 Expos are the only teams that were legitimately screwed over by circumstances beyond their control.

The United States men's basketball team at the 1972 Summer Olympics was screwed out of their gold medals.

I would add the 2005 Seahawks, 2004 Flames, and 2006 Mavericks to the list of teams that got screwed.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Like has been said before, 2002 Kings and 1994 Expos are the only teams that were legitimately screwed over by circumstances beyond their control.

The United States men's basketball team at the 1972 Summer Olympics was screwed out of their gold medals.

I would add the 2005 Seahawks, 2004 Flames, and 2006 Mavericks to the list of teams that got screwed.

I'll agree with that one for sure. Super Bowl XL was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen in any sport. I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories in sports, but this is one of my only exceptions. That game really seemed like it was getting thrown to Pittsburgh.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

2010 Winter Olympics.

As a pens fan this had me majorly torn. I know in the end it's "Nation before Club", but if there was anyone on the Canadian team and any other country I could choose to beat us, I'd rather it be him and them.

That said, I was genuinely pissed when that game ended. Damn, that would have been sweet revenge for '02.

oBIgzrL.png

I'll agree with that one for sure. Super Bowl XL was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen in any sport. I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories in sports, but this is one of my only exceptions. That game really seemed like it was getting thrown to Pittsburgh.

Yea. Didn't see that game, but I'll put the 2005 Seattle Seahawks with the 2002 Sacramento Kings and 1994 Montreal Expos as teams that should've won but didn't because of something beyond their control.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I know SB XL has been talked about at every length imaginable...but yes, something fishy was definitely going on with that crew. That said, the Seahawks?or should I say Jerramy Stevens?did themselves no favors with the piss-poor execution (dropped passes, receivers running out of bounds while trying to catch the ball, overthrown passes), especially since the Steelers' game plan didn't seem up to snuff?and had it been left to that, no question we all would've said after the fact that the Seahawks shot themselves while the Steelers made just enough BIG plays to win (which they did). BUT...there was the questionable first TD of that game (it'll be debated from now til kingdom come whether Ben broke that plane or not?same thing with Vinny Testaverde back in '99 with the Jets?coincidentally enough, against the Seahawks), several questionable holding calls, one certain call against Matt Hasselbeck I don't think I'd ever seen called before and haven't seen since (kinda like the holding call against one of Baltimore's defensive linemen back in last year's playoffs?another hardly-seen call)...those are the things that ultimately marred that game. (Not getting into the whole hometown hero sentiment thing, except to say Bettis wasn't the only Detroit native on that Steeler squad.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I know SB XL has been talked about at every length imaginable...but yes, something fishy was definitely going on with that crew. That said, the Seahawks?or should I say Jerramy Stevens?did themselves no favors with the piss-poor execution (dropped passes, receivers running out of bounds while trying to catch the ball, overthrown passes), especially since the Steelers' game plan didn't seem up to snuff?and had it been left to that, no question we all would've said after the fact that the Seahawks shot themselves while the Steelers made just enough BIG plays to win (which they did). BUT...there was the questionable first TD of that game (it'll be debated from now til kingdom come whether Ben broke that plane or not?same thing with Vinny Testaverde back in '99 with the Jets?coincidentally enough, against the Seahawks), several questionable holding calls, one certain call against Matt Hasselbeck I don't think I'd ever seen called before and haven't seen since (kinda like the holding call against one of Baltimore's defensive linemen back in last year's playoffs?another hardly-seen call)...those are the things that ultimately marred that game. (Not getting into the whole hometown hero sentiment thing, except to say Bettis wasn't the only Detroit native on that Steeler squad.)

Correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't he called for an illegal block after he threw an interception? It seems like it was something utterly bizarre like that.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't he called for an illegal block after he threw an interception? It seems like it was something utterly bizarre like that.

That was the call.

Somehow the QB for the offense threw an illegal block for the defense.

As for Ben's TD, watch his wristband. If I recall, (at work, can't get you tube) the point of the ball was at the right edge of his wristband (the one furthest from the goal line).

It appears that the back part of the wristband doesn't reach the plane, which means the nose of the ball could not have.

The worst part is the side judge on Ben's side of the field ((the only ref with the only clear view ) runs in with his fist up, indicating 4th down.

Somebody changed his call.

sig-1.png

From recent memory:

1994 Expos, at least into the NLCS - Stacked team, with all players you couldn't help but like and cheer for (Alou (Moises and Felipe), Grissom, Walker, DeShields, Wetteland etc etc) as they were nice guys (ok maybe not Pedro Martinez).

2004 Flames - biased here, but debatable Gelinas goal in Game 6, then inches away in OT Game 6 (Nilson) and a blow tripping call in Game 6 OT on the TB goal. And a heartbreaking save on Leopold in Game 7. Closest a Canadian team had come for 11 years to win the Cup.

2005 Seahawks - The offensive pass interference on the early TD to Darrell Jackson, the fact that Roethelsberger was down on the 1 (even he said so) on 3rd down at the end of the half is at least a 4 point swing there. Then the call on a hold on a Stevens play down to the one, and two plays after that, the INT on the 5 and the illegal block for Hasselbeck on the return, gave PIT an other 15 yards, and they got a TD on that drive, was a 14 point swing. The difference in the game was only 11. Flat out, the worst officiated Superbowl in history. The ref has come out in the past year or so and said that his crew blew a few calls.

For me the ones that stung were:

1991 Minnesota North Stars

1993 Toronto Maple Leafs

2003 Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

2004 Calgary Flames

2006 Edmonton Oilers

On a side not, if the 2003 Vancouver Canucks had beat the Minnesota Wild in round 2 I think they would have won the Cup that year.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2001 Arizona Wildcats basketball- Lute Olson's wife died of cancer in December, and the Cats were playing inspired ball and destroying their competition in the Tourney(including defending champs Michigan State). Unfortunately they lose a tough one to Duke in the championship. 10 years later you could say the same with them with the terrible shooting in January. I thought they wouldn't be denied after they crushed the Dookies, but fell short against UConn.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

• 4 weeks later...

Some already mentioned Cinderella runs I was cheering for that came up short:

1991 Minnesota North Stars

1982 & 1994 Vancouver Canucks

In baseball, no one was screwed over as much as the 1994 Montreal Expos.

Not mentioned yet is the 1999 Buffalo Sabres. Yes, the 'foot in the crease' rule was stupid, but it had been anal retentively enforced all season long.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Archived