Sentimentally-deserving teams that didn't win

dbadefense1990

If the Canucks won the cup in 1994, it would've been one of the greatest playoff stories in NHL history. Although I am pissed that they lost game 7 (less than 12 hours before I was born btw), I'm a little glad that they lost because if they did win; my dad would've named me Stanley Hanley.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Canucks won the cup in 1994, it would've been one of the greatest playoff stories in NHL history. Although I am pissed that they lost game 7 (less than 12 hours before I was born btw), I'm a little glad that they lost because if they did win; my dad would've named me Stanley Hanley.

I think you're lucky that they lost, man.

spacer.png

2004 Calgary Flames

As unexpected as the Ducks run a year prior was, the 04 Flames made that cinderella story look like nothing. After 8 straight seasons of missing of the playoffs and 15 seasons without advancing, the Flames come within one win of the Stanley Cup. How it ended was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever witnessed in hockey. How that goal in game 6 didn't count is absolutely beyond me. The fact it wasn't even reviewed was a crime against the game itself. For all the fuss about Dallas' "No Goal," you'd think it would get more attention. Tampa Bay never won the cup.

2006 Edmonton Oilers

Another unexpected story though I admit I was cheering against them at the time. Had roloson not gone down in game 1, the Oiler's return to glory would have been complete.

2007 Ottawa Senators

Okay I guess they didn't really deserve to win but it still hurt seeing another Canadian team get so close.

2011 Vancouver Canucks

Noticing a theme here? Even when the Canadian team in the finals is the favourite they manage to lose. People can talk about the team being entitled and their supposedly dirty play but the way this series ended was the ultimate gut-punch to anybody who supported this team. After game 2, they appeared to be a team destiny. It was as if they looked in the mirror afterwards and said "wait a minute... we're the Vancouver Canucks, we CAN'T win the big one."

Some other teams that derserved to win it all:

2008-09 Louisville Cardinals: Possibly the greatest Louisville basketball team that didn't won a title. Led by Terrence Williams and Earl Clark, the Cards outright won both Big East regular season and tourament championships. For the first time in school history, they're an overall #1 seed and many experts predicted them to be a sure-fire Final Four pick. While they dominated through the first 3 rounds, Louisville hit a roadblock from Sparty and knocked them off the tourament. Hadn't they lost to MSU, the Cards would've steamrolled through the Final Four and gotten revenge against UNC. I just believe that this could be different against MSU.

1982-83 Louisville Cardinals: Again, a #1 seeded Louisville team that didn't win it all. Louisville took down Tenn. and Arkansas to reach the Elite Eight. In the Elite Eight, they faced off against UK (haven't faced since 1959) in the game known by both fans as the "Dream Game". After battling back and forth, Louisville takes down UK in OT to appear in their 6th Final Four and revived the Battle of the Bluegrass. In the Final Four, they've met their match against the #1 Houston Cougs led by Hajeem Olajuwan and L'Ville got crushed. Luckly for Louisville, NCST brought one of the biggest upsets in CBB history against Houston and change the game forever. What if they didn't lose to Houston?; there would be a battle between the "Doctors of Dunk" (Louisville nickname) vs the Cardiac Pack (North Carolina St.)in the title game.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

That's a great name in terms of symbolism.

spacer.png

I would have gone with Jyrki. <_<

Also, if they won, chances are the hospital would have been put to the torch during the victory celebration.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Vancouver wins in '94 = no riot, just one big party. We're not AS BAD as Montreal.

:censored:ing Nathan Lafayette AND Martin Gelinas BOTH just HAD to hit the post with under 5 minutes left. Ugh.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

2004 Calgary Flames

As unexpected as the Ducks run a year prior was, the 04 Flames made that cinderella story look like nothing. After 8 straight seasons of missing of the playoffs and 15 seasons without advancing, the Flames come within one win of the Stanley Cup. How it ended was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever witnessed in hockey. How that goal in game 6 didn't count is absolutely beyond me. The fact it wasn't even reviewed was a crime against the game itself. For all the fuss about Dallas' "No Goal," you'd think it would get more attention. Tampa Bay never won the cup.

Almost seven years have passed and I never once looked at the highlight. I heard all the issues surrounding it, I knew what it was. Worse part it was never reviewed to begin with.

So last night, seeing as I didn't have class till 1pm the next day. I made a little picture.

puckwasin.png

Here's the video. Skip to 5:17 for the best look. Bill Clement seems pretty convinced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbLCQnv8Rg8&feature=related

Looks in to me. I prefer just to forget the whole thing ever happened. Still sucks though.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Not to be a resident homer here, since it very well may have been a goal, but I notice there is never a mention about the possibility that it was a distinct kicking motion by Gelinas.

I find the idea in general to be way too subjective, but I will also say that I've seen goals called back for weaker infractions than that. If Calgary wins that game on that goal, there would probably be plenty of non-Flames fans who would be slamming a non-reversal.

It works both ways.

spacer.png

I don't think there was a distinct kicking motion. Mostly just trying to stop and the puck happened to bounce off the skate.

I don't want start anything. What's done is done, the Lightning ended up winning the game, and ultimately the Cup a couple days later.

First Stanley Cup Finals I paid attention too, and I wanted the Flames to win for two reasons:

1) Nine-year-old me thought their uniforms were badass (I now think the Lightning's uniforms were better, but I still like that Flames look)

2) Jarome Iginla was and still is my favorite non-Bruin NHLer.

spacer.png

Those Flames uniforms were badass.

Especially those home reds inside the C of Red. Shockingly, Calgary only went 5-7 at the Saddledome that postseason - it was their 10-4 road record that brought them close to the Cup.

3-0 in games I attended. Never got a chance to go the Cup Final.

First Stanley Cup Finals I paid attention too, and I wanted the Flames to win for two reasons:

1) Nine-year-old me thought their uniforms were badass (I now think the Lightning's uniforms were better, but I still like that Flames look)

2) Jarome Iginla was and still is my favorite non-Bruin NHLer.

So you were 13-14 when you joined here?

Wait, there are no rules here to let people know how old one has to be to establish a username here.

Archived