Yakball Concepts

raysox

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, Valencia will be next, just have to figure out a good team name to finish the crest and it's all downhill from there.

But would any of you guys be interested in an action template to use? I'm going home next weekend and setting up a game. If anyone would want to, they could try to make a action template from pictures. I could do it too, if no one is game. The idea has been tossed around, and since some people have started to make their own threads, i figure why not, eh?

Also I want to say this. Thank you to everyone who has been super supportive here. I realized this little cult following that this game has, and how big it's really gotten around these parts. I see the game brought up in different threads as inspiration, and it really is great. Hell, someone mentioned that a new D-League logo looked like the Tridents logo. How cool is that? So for you guys, I will keep working on this. I wouldn't be this far if it wasn't for you all.

Also, I was reading around in this thread. Can you believe I used to not do jerseys? Crazy.

Hey raysox, first I want to congratulate you for this great work and effort you put on this little sport of yours, I actually imagine if all this was real. About the pictures and the photorealistic template I thought it would be great, I won't lie by saying that i though of doing this my self but I just don't know how to make this kind of template.

I'll also sugest the team name: Murciélagos de Valencia (Valencia Bat's), but I don't know if this is the cientific bat name, maybe it's Morcegos de Valencia (like portuguese)

And I also can't wait for the brazilian league (do you mind if I ask for it to be the next one?).

Hey raysox, first I want to congratulate you for this great work and effort you put on this little sport of yours, I actually imagine if all this was real. About the pictures and the photorealistic template I thought it would be great, I won't lie by saying that i though of doing this my self but I just don't know how to make this kind of template.

I'll also sugest the team name: Murciélagos de Valencia (Valencia Bat's), but I don't know if this is the cientific bat name, maybe it's Morcegos de Valencia (like portuguese)

And I also can't wait for the brazilian league (do you mind if I ask for it to be the next one?).

Murcielagos was deff on the short list of names! it just is hard to fit it on the crest. Also, Central Europe will be next, so Germany/Netherlands/Austria/Belgium/Switzerland

• 2 weeks later...

I like both, the correct would be: Odisséia Lisboa or Odisséia de Lisboa and Dragões do Porto (not de, in this case use do)

Sorry about that...I don't speak Portuguese and was only guessing at the proper accents and form of de/do. Can I ask why one is "de" and the other "do?" I'm assuming one is masculine and the other feminine, but the linguist in me needs to be certain.

The correct is "Odisseia", Without accent. Diphthongs EI and OI in the "Ideia" (Idea) and "Coreia" (Korea) lost the accent after the language reform of 2009. These accents never existed in the Portuguese spoken in Portugal, and in the 2009 agreement were supressed from the language as spoken in Brazil.

De = From (As in: Odisséia de Lisboa). De is the origin indicator. It is a term for both genders.

Do = De + O (Male) (As in: Dragões do Porto. The term "do" is in the official city name: "Antiga, Mui Nobre, Sempre Leal e Invicta Cidade do Porto")

Da = De + A (Female) (Is not common in cities, is more commonly used the term "de" for cities with "feminine" names.

O and A have the function of "The" in portuguese. Being "O" Male and "A" Female.

Da= De + a

I looked it up, and it looks like "bats" in Valencian would be "rats penats" (flying rat!). In Catalán, it would be muricec (not sure of the plural, could ask my friend who's studying it) or ratpenats. Valencian or Catalán, either one, I think would be better suited than Spanish.

rATMcmK.png

In Valencia they speak Valencian, a close relative of Catalan.

In fact it is the same language with different accents and some slight differences as well: valencian is one of the dialects of catalan.

Your queen is just a pawn with some fancy moves.

I looked it up, and it looks like "bats" in Valencian would be "rats penats" (flying rat!). In Catalán, it would be muricec (not sure of the plural, could ask my friend who's studying it) or ratpenats. Valencian or Catalán, either one, I think would be better suited than Spanish.

"ratpenats" or "rates penades" if it is for Valencia City. bat in catalan: ratpenat, rata penada, ratapinyada, ratapenera, muricec, muriac, voliac, mosseguello (Crevillent, south Valencia). Plural: ratpenats, rates penades, ratapenades, ratapinyades, ratapeneres, muricecs, muriacs, voliacs, mosseguellos.

In fact it is the same language with different accents and some slight differences as well: valencian is one of the dialects of catalan.

My friend who is studying both would disagree. What we consider dialects, some consider languages. I've learnt from him that it's unwise to underestimate the passion with which the different peoples of Spain hold on to their regional identities.

rATMcmK.png

I was looking back, and saw that you had rendered "Yakball" in French as "Yakballe". I'm thinking that, since "baseball" is "base-ball" in French, that "yak-ball" might be a better translation.

rATMcmK.png

My friend who is studying both would disagree. What we consider dialects, some consider languages. I've learnt from him that it's unwise to underestimate the passion with which the different peoples of Spain hold on to their regional identities.

Man, I'm from Valencia, indeed. I'm valencian native and I've been studying the language for almost 30 years. Valencian is a dialect of catalan: bloc occidental. It is also a continuum wich starts in southern France (Salses, Rosselló) and finishes in southern País Valencià (Guardamar, Alacant). The passion with which the different peoples of Spain hold on to their regional identities has nothing to do with linguistics: these are politics.

Man, I'm from Valencia, indeed. I'm valencian native and I've been studying the language for almost 30 years. Valencian is a dialect of catalan: bloc occidental. It is also a continuum wich starts in southern France (Salses, Rosselló) and finishes in southern País Valencià (Guardamar, Alacant). The passion with which the different peoples of Spain hold on to their regional identities hasn't nothing to do with linguistics: these are politics.

I stand corrected, thank you.

rATMcmK.png

• 1 month later...

BACK IN GLORIOUS FASHION

Legione Roma

Tim suggested this name, and I really liked it. I did a few things you see in Italian soccer, mainly the crest shape. Teams like Milan, and Juventus have oval shaped crests, and people even call it an Italian-style. I did a maroon and orange similar to Rome's soccer team Roma, and put vertical stripes on the kits, like so many Italian teams have. I arched Roma over it, and put a Roman soldier's helmet on it, which is just from the Senators' logo. Also the Roman numerals for the year.

Roma_zps390635fb.png

I did vertical stripes matching the crest, but added a twist. I really like Barcelona's kits, which instead of the traditional red and blue, there is a gradient purple color. I tried to match that, just for effect. I did a color in between the two, so it looks like the stripes transition into eachother. The clash is white and black just because it can be. I wanted to do something different than maroon and orange, so I did.

RomaUnis_zpsf0ad7222.png

Archived