Denver Cutthroats new CHL minor league team

roxfan00

Denver Grizzlies could return as minor-league franchise

By Adrian Dater

The Denver Postdenverpost.com

Denver is close to landing another minor-league professional hockey team, and if all goes according to plan, it will have the same name as a beloved former team: the Grizzlies.

The Denver Grizzlies were a 1994-95 International Hockey League team that won a championship in its only year in town and is credited with rekindling interest in the sport that led to the NHL's Quebec Nordiques coming to Denver in 1995 and becoming the Avalanche.

While details are being ironed out ? including a copyright battle over the Grizzlies name and what minor pro league it might join ? a new team is in the final planning stages and could be officially unveiled next week, multiple hockey sources said.

The "new" Grizzlies would play their home games at the Denver Coliseum, the 10,200-seat building open since 1952 and host to previous minor-league pro hockey teams, including the Colorado Rangers, Colorado Flames and Denver Spurs.

Former Grizzlies player Derek Armstrong is expected to be involved with the team's management, likely as the general manager. Armstrong, 38, spent parts of 14 NHL seasons with five teams.

Brent Cullaton, the coach of the Boulder Junior Bison of the Western States Hockey League, is a leading candidate to coach the new team. Cullaton served two seasons as captain of the Rocky Mountain Rage ? a CHL team that played three seasons (2006-09) at the FirstBank Center in Broomfield.

Before the new Grizzlies team is finalized, territorial contract agreements must be ironed out with the Colorado Eagles of the East Coast Hockey League, but sources termed the issues as minor.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Names aside, I hope this has nothing to do with the Utah Grizzlies. The only situation where I'd like to see the Utah team move is if the AHL comes out west, but I haven't heard anything. That's all I say about AHL expansion/relocation in this thread.

I wonder what league this team will play in.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Is there really that much demand for hockey in Denver, that the Avalanche are not concerned about a low-cost alternative leeching away their precious, precious dollars?

I thought that low-cost alternative was the UD Pioneers hockey program. Apparently the AHL (assuming that's where this team will play) still hasn't learned from Omaha.

Prolly be the Central Hockey League assuming it doesn't explode between now and next season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think this is an AHL team in the works. Central League seems more likely to me, which means this team will probably last as long as the original Denver Grizzlies.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Teams move in the AHL dang near every year. Abbotsford's long overdue.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Teams move in the AHL dang near every year. Abbotsford's long overdue.

Yes, but presumably the Avalanche would object to somebody else's affiliate setting up shop in Denver, and Cleveland would rather not deal with the Flames and their track record.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

After reading this article in the Denver Post, I have a feeling this is a potential ECHL franchise:

Denver Grizzlies could return as minor-league franchise

There's very little wiggle room right now in the AHL given the number of AHL teams that are owned by their NHL affiliates and because of long term affiliation deals. The ECHL has room to grow. And before you say ECHL teams are too far west, remember that the Colorado Eagles play in Loveland, CO. I think the biggest indicator is the last line of the article:

Before the new Grizzlies team is finalized, territorial contract agreements must be ironed out with the Colorado Eagles of the East Coast Hockey League, but sources termed the issues as minor.

They wouldn't need to iron out territorial rights with an ECHL team if they were playing in any other league.

PS- FYI the AHL Lake Erie Monsters play in Cleveland.

• 1 month later...

That link only says that a name will be unveiled in the near future. That doesn't mean they're not going to be called the Grizzlies, just that we don't officially know yet.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

New Denver pro hockey team introduced; could be called Cutthroats

Read more: New Denver pro hockey team introduced; could be called Cutthroats - The Denver Post

By Adrian Dater

The Denver Post

Saying, "We're going to get this place rockin," the city's newest professional sports owner stood inside the Denver Coliseum on Tuesday and introduced himself and his management team for an expansion Central Hockey League team that will play starting in October.

John Hayes, the CEO of Broomfield's Ball Corporation, will own the CHL's newest entry. It has yet to officially be named, but is likely to be called the Cutthroats ? in honor of the official state fish, the greenback cutthroat trout. Hayes introduced Derek Armstrong as the team's first coach, along with general manager Brad Lund and assistant general manager /director of hockey operations Brent Cullaton...Denver Post

adater ‏ @adater?@REMAXofBoulder: @denverpost @adater I thought they were going to go by the 'Grizzlies' #colorado #hockey? / copyright hassles

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

New Denver pro hockey team introduced; could be called Cutthroats

Any cold-water fish name seems to fit hockey the best. It would be interesting to see the Utah Grizzlies give their name back to Denver and take up "Cutthroats," though the ECHL would have the Utah Cutthroats and Idaho Steelheads only about 500 miles apart. I wonder if it's the Utah Grizzlies causing the copyright issues for the Denver CHL team.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived