Open Wheel Racing Chat

KDubK414

I'm a bit out of touch with Indy Car these days. Its shown on a network I don't subscribe too, but I get snippets of news here and there.

Did I hear right, Newmnan-Haas are no more? Sad if that's true.

I am aware of Lotus Cars joining the frey, not entirely sure what their engine will do.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Newman-Haas is no longer. Ever since Paul died, it hasn't been the same.

I'm not sure on Lotus engine, even though Judd is behind it, but Simona is driving for them, so they may have a good shot. Other than that, Rubens is rumoured to be a 3rd driver for KV (Tony Kannan & E.J. Viso's team ran by Jimmy Vasser).

Also even though there are only 3 engine suppliers, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford, Nissan, VW, or Alfa may get involved in the next couple of years.

baltimoreravens.png

That is a shame about Newman-Haas. Guess it'll become one of those fabled names along side the likes of Colin Chapman's Team Lotus.

I would love to see Ford back as a engine supplier - they'd be perfect for Indy, but I'd love to see them back in F1 too. There's no reason they couldn't be championship contenders again.

Well with the so called rumors of an American team coming to f1 in a few years (not USF1 hopefully) that could always happen but it depends on how thinks work out after this season with the new engines.... Wouldn't mind Ford or GM involved, I would've said Chrysler but they're owned by fiat so technically...

baltimoreravens.png

• 4 weeks later...

Since we are a little under 2 weeks away from the first race weekend of the year. The new Dallara Chassis, along with new liveries were unveiled on track last week.

2012 IndyCar

On a huge note. Team Penske drivers finally have unique liveries after what, 20 years of either the same Marlboro/Team Penske cookie cutter design.

packchampionslfroh.png

Seeing all the cars done up in individual schemes has really changed my opinion on the new Indycar. There's something very fighter-jet-esque about them.

A lot of them are really slick (the Lotus ride, Castroneves' Shell car, the Target cars, the goDaddy car). Much more real estate for the designer to work with!

Since we are a little under 2 weeks away from the first race weekend of the year. The new Dallara Chassis, along with new liveries were unveiled on track last week.

2012 IndyCar

On a huge note. Team Penske drivers finally have unique liveries after what, 20 years of either the same Marlboro/Team Penske cookie cutter design.

With a fresh coat of paint, they do look good. Speaking of a fresh coat of paint here are the helmets for the f1 drivers for this year. Including the return of Kimi. F1 starts up this Sunday in Melbourne. All in all a good day for racing.

F1 Helmets

Also, Rubens Barichello AKA Stig's "favorite" driver, has signed to drive with KV racing & will be partnered up with Tony Kannan....

I think Ganassi & Penske may want to watch out and in all hoensty, this is the best news IndyCar has got so far pre season

956577-rubens-barrichello-indycar.jpg

baltimoreravens.png

News & Notes from IndyCar the past couple of days.

http://www.racer.com/indycar-to-announce-aero-kit-rules-very-soon/article/231773/

HOME.jpg

"Bodywork open to development and for sale by any approved manufacturer will be introduced for the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series season. Phillips said the three engine manufacturers ? Chevrolet, Honda and Lotus ? in addition to "a few other companies we're talking to," have shown interest in designing, manufacturing and supplying the aero kits"

Plus their are other rumors about where they may go in 2013, rumors include Richmond (make it happen), Gold Coast Australia, Road America, Watkins Glen, Phoenix (I'd say that's going to happen, because Hilderbrand was testing there.) and Mexico City.

baltimoreravens.png

Anyone else gonna stay up late and watch the Australian Grand Prix this Saturday/Sunday?

I've slacked off on my following of F1 the past couple of years, but I caught the replay of the 2011 of the Brazil Grand Prix yesterday on Speed channel, and found myself getting sucked into a race that happened months ago. Now I'm really looking forward to the start of this season.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

^It does make you wonder. Especially when the likes of Prodrive were turned down (twice) and Lola in the wings 'expressing interest' for '13 or '14.

And Marussia aren't much better. Maybe its just the red and black livery, but they remind me of Midland F1 (nee Spyker/Jordan), just another name change and how long before the Russians get bored and flog it off.

McLaren gets the 1-2 punch with the pole while Vettel, Räikkönen & Alonso did rather bad. HRT failed to get into Australia again. Its kind of weird to not see anyone from Red Bull on pole... I could get use to that lol.

BTW, for those that follow LeMans, the 12 hours of Sebring has started up, Audi has got 1-2-3 in pole.

baltimoreravens.png

I thought I better be mindful of the time delay..

Great race! And a fantastic result! :D Shame it wasn't a 1-2 but hey ya can't have everything.

A pity for Grosjean and both Williams.

Shaping up to be a great season.

I decided to take the plunge and subscribe to Sky's F1 coverage which is new for this season over here. A channel dedicated to F1. They did four hours for the race alone. Geez they can talk the hind legs off a donkey.

And next weeks going to be even longer.. live GP2 then the F1 and to my surprise they're also showing the GP of St. Pete. :boogie:

Archived