Open Wheel Racing Chat

KDubK414

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it'll be a matter of time for VW to get in the game, the whole 2018 thing may be over blowing it. They're already getting involved in WRC in 2013 & eventually they're going to be the biggest car company within the next few years, I just don't think it'll just be IndyCar & F1, I think they'll do more (I still say VW will get involved with NASCAR). I'd love to see a Audi or Lambo branded team or even engines.

baltimoreravens.png

Personally I'd love to see the AutoUnion team return, but failing that I'd be happy for them to partner someone like McLaren (if the Mercedes deal ever ended).

EDIT: Looks like Herta and Dreyer & Reinbold have ditched Lotus-Judd effective immediately Can't say I'm surprised there..

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

http://indycar.com/en/News/2012/April/4-24-Protest-hearing-scheduled

INDYCAR, the sanctioning body for the IZOD IndyCar Series, has scheduled a hearing for a protest filed by General Motors regarding INDYCAR?s April 18 decision to approve use of a 0.74 A/R compressor cover for the single turbocharger.

The hearing will take place April 26 in Indianapolis.

baltimoreravens.png

• 2 weeks later...

Spanish Grand Prix weekend is here! Who's everyone got?

I'd say either Kimi or Frenando, as long as Vettel crashes or has an awful qualifying run (one could dream), btw this is a big deal but Alexander Rossi is testing for Caterham

Rumors going around F1:

-Mercedes may quit f1 altogether, team & engines

-Webber & DiResta are linked to Ferrari, wouldn't surprise me with DiResta considering the rumblings after Force India having to pay Caterham after the lawsuit.

- VW says no thanks to F1 as usual

- Magny Cours is still in the running for the French Grand Prix

Well, on the Indy front...

-Lotus has basically shot itself down & may not survive the Indy 500

-According to Graham Rahal, Budweiser is coming back to Indy with him driving for them, somewhat

-Newman/Haas is looking to return, hopefully with a Ford engine

-Still the rumors are coming about Ford, Chrysler/Fiat/Alfa, Nissan/Infiniti/Renault & VW/Audi are still there, if the whole thing with F1 doesn't work out, I wonder if Mercedes would come back?

Did I miss anything? lol

baltimoreravens.png

Williams gets their first win since 2004 with Maldonado holding off Alanso. Good for them.

But that means in 5 races, 5 drivers, from 5 teams all have a win.

The Lotus boys were flying after their pitstops too, with 10 laps to go, Kimi was 20 seconds behind Alanso. As they crossed the line, he was .6 seconds. Grosjean also ran the fastest lap with less than 10 laps to go.

Off to Monaco!

Excellent result and a rather entertaining race (despite McLaren's finishing position).

Sadly its been overshadowed by a huge fire in the Williams garage. Unconfirmed reports put it down to the KERS system on Bruno's car exploding. Here's the BBC coverage. Hopefully everyone is ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9QLET_u1DA

That was a scary fire at the paddock, hopefully everyone is alright. It was a shame that it overshadowed what was a dominant performance to show Williams was back in the game. I love this season so far, 5 different winners & Monaco is up next on the greatest racing day in the world.

Speaking of IndyCar...

http://indycar.com/News/2012/05-May/5-12-Aero-kit-regulations-on-the-way

?The expense of doing an engine program just to allow you to do an aero kit is prohibitive,? Phillips said. ?Trying to entice manufacturers or third-party suppliers to come in and do an aero kit, yes it?s not cheap, but it?s not nearly as expensive as doing an engine program as well. So you don?t have to do an engine to do an aero kit.?

Phillips also noted that INDYCAR is speaking to another engine manufacturer, who could join competition in 2014.

Oh & to HB, its been reported that the Russian GP is pretty much dead along with other changes to the schedule

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-rumors-surround-spain-spa-france-canada-and-russia-gps/

baltimoreravens.png

You're not kidding when you call it the Greatest Racing Day in the World. :) As for the Russian GP I suppose there's always the soon-to-be-opened Moscow Raceway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Raceway

So who's this new engine supplier? Is it still VW or has someone else decided to throw their hat in the Indy ring?

BTW, not sure what I think of this year's Indy 500 logo - the Detroit GP one however is a thing of beauty.

You're not kidding when you call it the Greatest Racing Day in the World. :) As for the Russian GP I suppose there's always the soon-to-be-opened Moscow Raceway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Raceway

So who's this new engine supplier? Is it still VW or has someone else decided to throw their hat in the Indy ring?

BTW, not sure what I think of this year's Indy 500 logo - the Detroit GP one however is a thing of beauty.

It's a no brainer whom the new engine supplier would be & I couldn't be happier, it has to be Ford. Its the first name that keeps coming up & it makes sense considering Michael Shank Racing & Newman-Haas wants to come back in, both do their best work with a ford engine (see Newman Haas' dominance in Champ Car & MSR won the 24 hours of Daytona). First choice would be Ford, a close second would be either Nissan or Totyota, 3rd would be Fiat/Alfa, IMO VW has a long ways to go.

Nah, Russia was suppose to be in Sochi but if Uncle Bernie thinks its dead, then its dead.

baltimoreravens.png

2 weeks the biggest weekend in motorsports is here (Indy 500, Monoco GP, Coke 600) but i cant belive that its been almost a year has past since the late Dan Wheldon won the Indy 500 but tributes planned for him is going to be very emotional

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

2 weeks the biggest weekend in motorsports is here (Indy 500, Monoco GP, Coke 600) but i cant belive that its been almost a year has past since the late Dan Wheldon won the Indy 500 but tributes planned for him is going to be very emotional

I have to agree Canuck, this 500 is going to be a rather emotional one. I actually think this whole season has been emotional. Most of those drivers are gonna win it for Dan & his family. Still, I want to share this picture because this brings a tear to my eye. This is Helio after winning the St. Pete grand prix this year. He climbed up to the sign, put his hand on it & looked up. A real class act.

48202658481814719_9fl84GgN_f-Helio-Celebrates-Win-On-Wheldon-Way.jpg

baltimoreravens.png

You forgot that World Superbike will race in Salt Lake City on Memorial Day.

I have to agree Canuck, this 500 is going to be a rather emotional one. I actually think this whole season has been emotional. Most of those drivers are gonna win it for Dan & his family. Still, I want to share this picture because this brings a tear to my eye. This is Helio after winning the St. Pete grand prix this year. He climbed up to the sign, put his hand on it & looked up. A real class act.

48202658481814719_9fl84GgN_f-Helio-Celebrates-Win-On-Wheldon-Way.jpg

im just imagining what he would do if he won the 500

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

My Indy pick: any chevy driver :P

That would be a no brainer but my dark horse pick is James Hinchcliffe, he's fast at Indy & may give Penske a run for their money, but in all honesty, the way he has dominating, I think this is Will Power's race.

baltimoreravens.png

Who do you guys like in the 500?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

My Indy pick: any chevy driver :P

Wrong.

But god damnit Chip, nobody likes you. Thought Sato had it won right in front of us, but alas, it was not to be. Pretty entertaining last twenty laps for an overall lackluster race. The place went crazy when TK grabbed the lead - maybe he'll win it eventually.

Oh well, 'twas another good day out at IMS.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived