Open Wheel Racing Chat

KDubK414

Things I learned from today's race...

1. Jenson is back to form, he looked amazing today, I hope this is the start to a 2nd championship

2. Kimi can take a car that was awful & still finish 7th, well done

3. Vettel is going to have a lot on his plate this year

4. Mercedes will get a win, I thought they would until Schumacher's unfortunate accident

5. Grosjean will be great in a few years but it was unfortunate on what happened to him, that kid is talented.

6. Williams switching to Renault is a grand idea but Pastor needs to learn to control himself if he ever wants a chance (well, expect the whole pay to drive method)

All in all, Australia was a great race & I look forward to this season. Sepang is gonna be a fun race to watch. Oh the word from speed tv is France will either announce its return in 3 weeks or go bust, they may want to hurry up, Argentina wants to come back in as well.

baltimoreravens.png

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I hope they do get a deal done in France. Shame the Disneyland Paris plan fell through.. ;) The thought of catching a race and then heading off for an afternoon in the park would be bliss.

And I'm sceptical of the Argentine announcement for now... but the 'leaked' proposed layout is intriguing.

7003716905_60f839d8e8.jpg

EDIT: Image replaced - see post #44.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

^It was posted in another forum. Apparently though its not the official Mar del Plata layout, but rather the "Atlantic F1 Street Circuit" designed by Tilke in '10. However if you Google Mar del Plata, that is the marina/waterfront area that has been used.

I've swapped the image in post #42 to avoid confusion. :) Not entirely sure where the start/finish should be, so there's two in my little rendition. ;)

proposed Russian GP in Sochi...

61258.jpg

Oh & it looks like Belgium is holding up France from returning due to sharing...

The Belgian Grand Prix is in fact all that is holding up the deal, they have to agree to the plan to share a race and will need to sign a new long term contract. Sources have suggested that the Belgian Grand Prix organisers do welcome the shared race as a way to bring down the costs of hosting a Grand Prix themselves. Organiser of the Belgian grand prix Etienne Davignon said in August last year that:“We have a contract until 2013, and we feel that there is a strong tendency at present for an alternation (in future)”, perhaps suggesting that France may be forced to wait until 2014 if Spa-Franchorchamps want to honour their 2013 contract.

http://www.f1cities.com/french-GP-almost-finalised

baltimoreravens.png

I'm surprised the Belgians are holding it up. I would have thought they would have welcomed some assistance. Not that I'm advocating Spa-Franchorchamps removal from the calendar, but I'd rather have it than not at all. And you know what Burnt Ecclescake is like, he'd drop them for anyone who rocks up with a set of blueprints and a promise.

As for Sochi, hopefully with them building it in conjunction with the 2014 Winter Olympics will mean that it'll at least its not shoehorned into the location. I'm still putting it in the 'see it when I believe it' category. After all this is the 3rd Russian proposal...

Well time to switch gears, not only with F1 in Malaysia but IndyCar is starting up this season & the rumor going around on the speed forums is Houston is going to announce its return next season on Wednesday. Although IMO, I think the CoTA would also work but hey.

Also on speed.... the previews of the top contenders for IndyCar Ex. the usual suspects like Dario & Will but a few surprises as well.

Part 1:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-2012-season-preview-pt-1/

Part 2:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-2012-season-preview-pt-2/

Part 3:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-2012-season-preview-pt-3/

baltimoreravens.png

From what Randy Bernard is saying, its near Reliant Park so it could be a whole new street circuit. I think CoTA will get more races once the track is done. Either way, the more the merrier.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- INDYCAR CEO Randy Bernard also said it would “be premature” to make travel plans for an IZOD IndyCar Series event in Houston in autumn 2013 – though INDYCAR and promoters are working out details of a sanctioning agreement.

The Houston Chronicle reported that the Grand Prix of Houston will announce March 28 that it has secured a title sponsor for its event at Reliant Park.

“We are very much engaged in the 2013 schedule,” he said. “Some of our top objectives and priorities are to make sure we continuing to showcase our sport in major markets and that helps our sponsors, our team owners and our television, which are so important to the success of our sport. Houston fits that pretty well.”

Also the drivers talk about the new car.

BTW, according to "Uncle Bernie" The Concorde Agreement is all but done, but Mercedes has been rather quiet... hmm

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/3/13154.html

baltimoreravens.png

I just ordered my tickets for the Texas Motor Speedway race. I really enjoy going to that race and I hope that IndyCar will keep running here. Meanwhile, I'm pumped up about St. Petersberg this weekend. It looks like Lotus is going to have a lot to catch up to, and it could really hurt people like Simona di Silvestra and Sebastien Bourdais... hopefully they will start to catch up come Indy time.

I was just watching a couple vids from practice & the views they have in the cars are fantastic.

I like how they can view from the back of the car (ala cart) but also where you can see the actual driver, in their cockpit, literally looking right at them (ala nascar). F1 needs to take notes on how to view your driver & car. I like where IndyCar is going so far. I was also impressed on the DW12, so far some of them have broken track records, quite impressive.

baltimoreravens.png

I was just watching a couple vids from practice & the views they have in the cars are fantastic.

I like how they can view from the back of the car (ala cart) but also where you can see the actual driver, in their cockpit, literally looking right at them (ala nascar). F1 needs to take notes on how to view your driver & car. I like where IndyCar is going so far. I was also impressed on the DW12, so far some of them have broken track records, quite impressive.

Can't wait for tomorrow's race. I wonder how the new cars will fare.

Well, we've already seen how Kanaan's Chevrolet fared. What a bummer for him.

I really wish I was able to go to the Grand Prix of Alabama next weekend, but I start training for my new job that day. Anyone planning on making some races this season?

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

Results from Indy....

Helio finally got a win after his abysmal season, just great driving & passing all around & I liked how he did the spider-man climb on Dan Wheldon way, very classy. I was impressed by most the race, not a lot of crashes but it was a good race, some batteries or engines dying, but its good ot know there is at least 3 teams that show some contention in the championship (Penske, Ganassi, Andretti)

baltimoreravens.png

Well, we've already seen how Kanaan's Chevrolet fared. What a bummer for him.

I really wish I was able to go to the Grand Prix of Alabama next weekend, but I start training for my new job that day. Anyone planning on making some races this season?

I've got the Detroit Grand Prix and/or Mid-Ohio penciled on my calendar!

I've got the Detroit Grand Prix and/or Mid-Ohio penciled on my calendar!

Totally forgot IndyCar was heading back to Detroit this year...only 4 hr drive! Maybe me and my pops will head down for that one.

The Reliant Park course could resemble the old Champ Car course that was there

Houston2006.jpg

I love how 'robust' the Indy track plans are. No overly long straights going into hairpins. This must really wind Herr Tilke up. ;)

As for this weeks racing. Well I was not impressed at the result from Sepang. Still, it was the lesser of two evils, I was worried Schumacher might win..

Indy came though with a decent race, well what I saw of it. They decided to show the F1 repeat in full (rain delay 'n all) so it was 40 laps gone before it went to St. Pete. Still, beggers can't be choosers.

Well, here comes the whole, Honda or some other team may come in cause Mercedes may pull out rumors again...

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/26/mercedes-ponders-exiting-f1-racing-over-commercial-deal/

"One team being left out of those incentives is Mercedes, one of the largest automakers participating in the sport ? running its own team and supplying engines to two more (including McLaren), not to mention the safety and medical cars used at each grand prix. According to The Telegraph, Mercedes is now threatening to take legal action under European competition laws (regulations that are formulated to prevent the abuse of a dominant position) if it gets left out of the incentives being offered to other top teams. Ecclestone may be forced to cave to Mercedes' demands, lest he find himself back in court while losing a top team and engine supplier from his roster. "

Thoughts???

baltimoreravens.png

Archived