Windows 8 Rebrand

drdougfresh

I didn't see this posted yet, but Windows 8 is getting a new logo:

6201.Win8Logo_5F00_01_5F00_thumb_5F00_23669D8A.jpg

Article here.

I personally like the move, I wasn't a fan of the flag/window thing they have going on right now, and since Windows 3.1. As someone who uses the new Metro platform on my phone, Xbox, and Zune, I think this reflects their new UI improvements really well.

My only gripe is the width of the window; it seems stretched horizontally. Other than that, though, I really like this new look.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows 8 already? I just upgraded to Windows 7! <_<

Anyway, I like the new logo, specifically the "window" so to speak. I think what the design was going for here was a double meaning - a literal "window" image, but also maybe the "window" is supposed to look like Windows 8's new desktop layout:

800px-Windows_8_Developer_Preview_Start_Screen.png

It could also be a more "window-like" take on the classic "window/flag" Windows logo. Perhaps that's also why it's stretched horizontally, to make it more "flag-like"?

windows-logo.jpg

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

It looks like it was whipped up in 5 minutes, TBH. I still don't understand why they got rid of this logo:

win98logo.gif

It's iconic, memorable, and still the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "Windows".

It's also horribly trapped in the 1990s.

spacer.png

@RedSox44, yes, that's the Metro UI I was talking about in my post. They've been using it on Xbox and Zune/Windows Phone for a little while:

windows-phone-7-mango.jpg

xboxnew2.jpg

I think that's pretty interesting, Quillz. I like the monotone color of the logo+wordmark, but with the logo by itself, I think the 4 "standard" colors would look great.

Ultimately, I think they're bringing the logo into the new generation/brand that their current OS's and software are operating in. I think the flag/window is a bit dated, honestly. I like the new modern feel of their new UI, it translates really well to this logo in that sense, IMO.

It doesn't look like any effort was put into that at all. I can't even put this in the same category as other logos that are part of the minimal trend, at least those logos are actually trying to do something.

What does it really need to 'do'? It's easily recognizable as a window and it fits well with Microsoft's current UI...no sense in over-complicating things.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

I like that the logo more closely resembles an actual window now, but the loss of the classic color scheme is a bit of a disappointment for me. More than anything, it was the quad-colors that said "Microsoft Windows" to me.

It looks okay. I have no qualms with it. Windows 8, on the other hand seems...unappealing.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I like that the logo more closely resembles an actual window now, but the loss of the classic color scheme is a bit of a disappointment for me. More than anything, it was the quad-colors that said "Microsoft Windows" to me.

I tried that and think it looks kind of cool:

win8n.png

I agree the four colors makes the logo remind me even more of Windows, although keep in mind the actual logo apparently changes color depending on your desktop settings.

I've always wondered about logos for Microsoft Windows. The thing that always comes to mind is how the two letters that the they both begin with in 'M' and 'W'. They both mirror images of each other(hmm, like windows?). Here's my slate in MS Paint. I'm thinking that the one in the middle, slightly to the left, is the best. Any ideas?

2mdpap4.png

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I tried that and think it looks kind of cool:

win8n.png

I agree the four colors makes the logo remind me even more of Windows, although keep in mind the actual logo apparently changes color depending on your desktop settings.

Didn't know about the situational-color changes. Makes me think they should just a do a recolor like your concept, which definitely feels more "Windows" to me.

I like it a lot - very simple, "widescreen", and clean. It looks like they may be trying to "own" a color though - which makes sense, but I think they're opening themselves up to a lot of "blue screen" jokes, considering the logo is essentially 4 of them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Has anyone been running the windows 8 betas? Heard quite positive reports so far. apparently the star button/vista circle has been ditched.

My understanding is that it's still there you just have to go through a few options to go to a "classic windows" look or something.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It looks like it was whipped up in 5 minutes, TBH. I still don't understand why they got rid of this logo:

win98logo.gif

It's iconic, memorable, and still the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "Windows".

Agreed. I could live with the updated ones for XP, Vista and 7 but this new one looks like it has nothing to do with the brand.

It's also horribly trapped in the 1990s.

Saying something looks 90's has come to mean very little on these boards. Just seems like a different way of saying "I don't like it."

Archived