2012 NCAA Lacrosse Thread

RyanMcD29

Considering the lacrosse contingent on these boards have grown quite a bit over the past year, here's a thread for this season's college lacrosse season. Lots of teams start this weekend while some others started last weekend. Although this thread probably won't pick up steam until May, I figure it'll be good to have for those of us that want to comment on lax this spring

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Just Michigan for D1 this year. Marquette and High Point next year.

I thought High Point's first season was this year... oh well. No big deal. It's actually nice to see more programs popping up. I'd like to see more here in the Midwest, but I have to think that Title IX and the lack of funds due to the economy is putting the brakes on it.

With Denver losing to unranked Ohio State yesterday, the polls have really really really shaken up

Rank Team Points 1st Place Votes

UVA

University of Virginia 437 20

JHU

Johns Hopkins University 408 1

CORNELL

Cornell University 392 1

ND

University of Notre Dame 363

UNC

University of North Carolina 360

SYRACUSE

Syracuse University 327

MARYLAND

University of Maryland 301

DUKE

Duke University 280

VILLANOVA

Villanova University 258

UMASS

University of Massachusetts 228

DENVER

University of Denver 209

OSU

Ohio State University 192

HOFSTRA

Hofstra University 140

PRINCETON

Princeton University 139

HARVARD

Harvard University 110

LOYOLA

Loyola University 87

PENN

University of Pennsylvania 84

YALE

Yale University 70

COLGATE

Colgate University 60

PSU

Penn State University 57

I'm surprised Duke fell down that low, considering how Notre Dame was ranked top 10 and looked really impressive on Saturday

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

By "Nattys", you'd better mean Natty Bohs and not Natural Lights. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'm trying to tie in the "lax bro" culture (which I for one can't stand) with the Natty Light reference. Popular for NCAA Lacrosse Final Four weekends along with the Long Island BBQ of... just hot dogs and burgers :P

oEQ0ySg.png

I'm trying to tie in the "lax bro" culture (which I for one can't stand) with the Natty Light reference. Popular for NCAA Lacrosse Final Four weekends along with the Long Island BBQ of... just hot dogs and burgers :P

Pshaw! The Baltimorean in me refuses to countenance calling Natural Light "Natty". That name is reserved for National Bohemian and has been used since before Natural Light existed.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Time to get on the soap box for a sec, but is it me or has ESPNU really downsized their lacrosse coverage this year? A lot of games are being moved over to ESPN3, and I mean good games like Duke-ND and Duke-Maryland, but by next Friday 4 out of the 4 games seen on ESPNU so far this year will have involved Johns Hopkins, with the only game really national-TV worthy being Princeton next week. I know all about ESPN's deal with Johns Hopkins (similar to Notre Dame and NBC), but it's kinda getting out of hand that they're the only ones being shown for the first 3 weeks of the season on TV. As much as ESPN's helped to grow the game, I think they're taking a big step back this season, especially with all the games being moved over to ESPN3, as well as some of the traditional ESPNU matchups not being shown at all this season (looking through the SU schedule Syracuse-Princeton's been moved to TWCS, though that might be Time Warner's call with home games, but there's quite a few other matchups no longer on the U)

oEQ0ySg.png

Time to get on the soap box for a sec, but is it me or has ESPNU really downsized their lacrosse coverage this year? A lot of games are being moved over to ESPN3, and I mean good games like Duke-ND and Duke-Maryland, but by next Friday 4 out of the 4 games seen on ESPNU so far this year will have involved Johns Hopkins, with the only game really national-TV worthy being Princeton next week. I know all about ESPN's deal with Johns Hopkins (similar to Notre Dame and NBC), but it's kinda getting out of hand that they're the only ones being shown for the first 3 weeks of the season on TV. As much as ESPN's helped to grow the game, I think they're taking a big step back this season, especially with all the games being moved over to ESPN3, as well as some of the traditional ESPNU matchups not being shown at all this season (looking through the SU schedule Syracuse-Princeton's been moved to TWCS, though that might be Time Warner's call with home games, but there's quite a few other matchups no longer on the U)

It might be you, man. I know for a fact that next weekend's Syracuse-Virginia game will be on ESPN (I've checked). I understand that you aren't all that happy with the JHU love, but I have to think that with everything ESPN has on their plate right now, there isn't a lot of time given to college lacrosse.

Check back in about a month or so and things might change.

True, I'm just a little peeved that compared to this time last year they're putting a lot of games online rather than on TV, though that is better than none at all. Having Cuse-UVA on ESPN will be good for the game too

Speaking of TV, I can't tell you how much I wished the Cornell-Hobart game was on today. They're gonna be playing in a blizzard apparently

LATE EDIT: Never mind, Cornell-Hobart PPD for snow and high wind. Guessing they'll either play it tomorrow or move it to the Carrier Dome for after Syracuse-Army or wait for sometime this Spring

oEQ0ySg.png

• 2 months later...

Super-de-duper bump to this thread with conference championships going on this weekend. And yeah, this season's been absolutely insane. Just getting even more insane with what's been going on as of late, too. Currently Lehigh and Loyola are in the NCAA Tournament via auto-bids, but the bubble got really smaller with Notre Dame losing to St. John's in the Big East semifinals

oEQ0ySg.png

Selection Sunday for all of you lacrosse fans.

Top 4 seeds are, in order: Loyola (Maryland), Johns Hopkins, Duke, Notre Dame (Unbeaten UMass is the 6th seed).

As for the matchups:

-(16)Canisius at (1)Loyola (Maryland)

-(9)Denver at (8)North Carolina

-(12)Princeton at (5)Virginia

-(13)Yale at (4)Notre Dame

-(15)Stony Brook at (2)Johns Hopkins

-(10)Maryland at (7)Lehigh

-(14)Syracuse at (3)Duke

-(11)Colgate at (6)UMass

Alright... Predictions? Complaints on who got snubbed?

Archived