New USA Basketball logo

illini1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's dated. That's what's wrong with it.

I'll need to see a full-color version of the new logo before I pass judgment.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

The old logo, while far from perfect, had become iconic. It would have been nice to update the old logo with the improved font and bisected USA above. The crest looks forced and unbalanced between the top and bottom.

The old logo, while far from perfect, had become iconic. It would have been nice to update the old logo with the improved font and bisected USA above. The crest looks forced and unbalanced between the top and bottom.

Sounds like a good solution. I'll admit the previous one is dated, but that new one is too much of a departure, imo. Also, a crest is not the way to go, as that's more of a European-approach.

Hmmm...I'm on the fence here. While the old one had some problems, it was still an iconic logo that could have just been modernized and updated to fix those problems. In other words, they didn't need to roll out something that went in a new direction.

All that said...the new one isn't bad. I, too, need to see it in full color before I make a full judgement, but as it is it looks good. I hope that the "star-ball" is staying as an alternate, though. To me, that's essential to USAB's identity.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

How anyone can look at the new logo, even in B&W, and say it is not on par with the "Dream Team" logo... it makes me seriously wonder what i'm not seeing with the current logo that makes it so great...

The current USA Basketball logo is atrocious and has been for some time. Big. Blocky. Unwieldy. That's what i see when i look at that logo. An update has been needed for some time.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I like the old one for Dream Team nostalgia reasons, but it clearly needed some work. That said, I'm not a fan of the direction they went other than the USA font modernization. It looks like a soccer crest to me and therefore made me immediately think "needs more stars" to accurately represent the USA's basketball success.

You all have to stop throwing the word iconic around. Nothing in the thread is iconic. My wife hates baseball but she knows the Yankee NY when she sees it. That is an iconic logo. Take away the word basketball from that logo and she will have no idea what it is for. You are a sports fan looking at a familiar sports logo. That does not make it iconic.

How anyone can look at the new logo, even in B&W, and say it is not on par with the "Dream Team" logo... it makes me seriously wonder what i'm not seeing with the current logo that makes it so great...

The current USA Basketball logo is atrocious and has been for some time. Big. Blocky. Unwieldy. That's what i see when i look at that logo. An update has been needed for some time.

If Kinger is saying that something older is in need of update, you know it's true. :D

I haven't seen it in color yet, but the new one looks head, shoulders, and chest above the old one.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I don't think it's bad in any regard? It's a good logo, and being from a younger generation, and only kinda sorta remembering the Dream Teams, I donno, I think it's a good update. It won't look good at the front of the jersey like the old one did.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

If Kinger is saying that something older is in need of update, you know it's true. :D

I haven't seen it in color yet, but the new one looks head, shoulders, and chest above the old one.

What they said . . . though I do want to see the full color version of the new one.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Agreed on both points, ESPECIALLY the 1st one. :lol: That Team USA logo has been in dire need of an upgrade since the '96 games, & this was a pretty good one, at least judging by the B&W render. Hopefully the color render confirms this.

You all have to stop throwing the word iconic around. Nothing in the thread is iconic. My wife hates baseball but she knows the Yankee NY when she sees it. That is an iconic logo. Take away the word basketball from that logo and she will have no idea what it is for. You are a sports fan looking at a familiar sports logo. That does not make it iconic.

+1000

I don't see what's wrong with calling something "iconic" if you view it as such - what is "iconic" is completely up to an individual. I see that crest, and instantly think of the Dream Team and Olympic dominance. Thus, it's iconic to me, even if it wouldn't be to your wife. Some look at Humphrey Bogart and consider him an iconic actor, whereas my brother doesn't even know who the guy is. Some may consider Dark Side of the Moon to be an iconic album, while others may not like it. Iconic status isn't really universal - there are just some things that more people deem iconic than others. It is, again, all up to the individual.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

From Uniwatch today, here's an uncolored version of the new USA Basketball logo.

10d5f4e7.jpg

Certain things bug me about this:

1) The logo reads more as a soccer crest to me?not there's anything inherently wrong with that, but even with the basketball lines, I still see "soccer" before I see "basketball". Which segues into...

2) I know it was there on the previous logo, but is the word "BASKETBALL" truly necessary? There's already a basketball in the logo, and if this thing truly is meant to be a "badge" then to me, it seems a bit redundant, not to mention superfluous.

3.) Not understanding the arch effect?and now that I think about it, that may in a way be what's giving this thing more of a "crest" look. That said, the arch on the shield shape and on the "BASKETBALL"truly banner don't curve the same...that's really bugging me. And speaking of shapes...

4) Wondering what the purpose of the house shape is above "USA"...is it meant to say "basketball is the house that USA built? Or meant to imply that USA is the (a?) basketball power"house"? (Which really wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.)

5.) There's a singular star at the bottom of the badge. Why? Usually any logo depicting the U.S. has multiple stars, unless the main focus of the logo is the star itself (like the previous logo). Just seems unnecessary for it to be sitting down there all lonely like that, unless it was placed there to a/shoehorn a star into the logo and/or b/ help take up some space down there...both of which read to me as "afterthought".

Still...in terms of crispness and execution of the illustration, I'd give this one the nod over the old.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived