New USA Basketball logo

illini1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is random and might be crazy, but is LeBron allowed to wear #6? I swear I remember hearing players couldn't use their NBA numbers.

They can in some cases, The rule is that only numbers 1-15 can be used.

Actually I think it's 4-15, I think it's due to refs signaling numbers.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

This is random and might be crazy, but is LeBron allowed to wear #6? I swear I remember hearing players couldn't use their NBA numbers.

He first wore #6 while he was still with Cleveland. And John Stockton wore #12 during the Olympics too.

Go A's!

The logo has oficially been unveiled

new_usab_logo_300.jpg

USA Basketball Introduces New Logo To Tip Off 2012 Campaign

- New Identity Reflects Federation’s Legacy On The 20th Anniversary Of The Dream Team –

Feb. 24, 2012 • Colorado Springs, Colo.

USA Basketball unveiled a new logo today that will be worn by all of the USA Basketball teams including the men’s and women’s national teams as they pursue victory at the London Games this summer. The new logo combines iconic components from the past into a modern, simplified mark honoring the strong heritage and national pride represented by USA Basketball.

USA Basketball’s new logo incorporates the existing USA type into a badge-shaped mark which reflects the honor of playing for the United States of America’s national team. Also featured is a basketball, a nod to the original Amateur Basketball Association of the United States of America (ABAUSA), and a single star, symbolizing players from all over the country coming together as one team with a common goal.

“With this new logo we wanted to capture the history and character of USA Basketball while embracing the spirit of the current and future teams that will represent the United States of America,” said Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball chairman and men's national team managing director. “The mark of USA Basketball has become an iconic symbol of America’s game and of championship teams, and we are excited to bring it into the modern era.”

The new mark will be the third to represent the U.S. national basketball program. The original logo was used by ABAUSA and featured a red, white and blue basketball. The most recent logo, which was adopted in 1989 and has become synonymous with the 1992 Dream Team, will remain within the USA Basketball portfolio as a "heritage" mark, and will appear when milestones and anniversaries of past success are recognized.

The USA Basketball men's and women's national teams will wear new NIKE Hyper Elite uniforms during competition in 2012. Combining NIKE’s lightest, most technologically advanced textiles with iconic graphics, the Nike Hyper Elite basketball uniform helps boost players’ performance and communicates the pride of USA Basketball.

USA Basketball will tip-off preparations for this summer with the men’s national team training camp in Las Vegas from July 6–11 and an exhibition game against the Dominican Republic on July 12. The USA men’s and women’s national teams will then meet in Washington D.C. for a doubleheader against their Brazilian counterparts on July 16 at the Verizon Center. Both teams will next play in Manchester, England against Great Britain at Manchester Arena, with a women’s game on July 18 and a men’s game on July 19. The American men will conclude their tour in Barcelona, Spain, with a pair of exhibition games against Argentina, on July 22, and Spain, on July 24. The USA women will finish their tour at a four-team tournament in Istanbul, Turkey from July 21-24.

USA Basketball

Based in Colorado Springs, Colo., USA Basketball is a nonprofit organization and the national governing body for men's and women's basketball in the United States. As the recognized governing body for basketball in the United States by the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) and the United States Olympic Committee (USOC), USA Basketball is responsible for the selection, training and fielding of USA teams that compete in FIBA sponsored international basketball competitions, as well as for some national competitions.

Since 2008, USA Basketball men’s and women’s teams have compiled a sterling 134-6 win-loss record in FIBA or FIBA Americas competitions. USA teams are the current men’s and women’s champions of the Olympics and the FIBA World Championships; FIBA women’s U19 world champions; the men’s and women’s title holders for the FIBA U17 World Championships; and the men’s and women’s U18 and U16 FIBA Americas champions. USA Basketball currently ranks No. 1 in all five of FIBA's world ranking categories, including combined, men's, women's, boys and girls.

For further information about USA Basketball, go to the official Web site of USA Basketball at usabasketball.com and connect with us on facebook.com/usabasketball, twitter.com/usabasketball and www.youtube.com/therealusabasketball.

He first wore #6 while he was still with Cleveland. And John Stockton wore #12 during the Olympics too.

He never wore #6 with Cleveland. He requested the change for the next year while still with Cleveland, but then he went to Miami, then he changed it.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

He never wore #6 with Cleveland. He requested the change for the next year while still with Cleveland, but then he went to Miami, then he changed it.

He meant that he wore #6 in the Olympics while playing for the Cavs.

WHY? why why why why why couldn't they have just put the wordmark from the logo on the jerseys? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :cursing:

I'm guessing that part of it has to do with the fact that teams aren't allowed to wear logos of the sport governing bodies during the Olympics. It's a wild guess, mind you.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

WHY? why why why why why couldn't they have just put the wordmark from the logo on the jerseys? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :cursing:

I'm guessing that part of it has to do with the fact that teams aren't allowed to wear logos of the sport governing bodies during the Olympics. It's a wild guess, mind you.

Something similar would have been great.

He meant that he wore #6 in the Olympics while playing for the Cavs.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Go A's!

That's my guess too. I assume IOC would consider putting the USA Basketball wordmark on the basketball jerseys the same as putting US Soccer's crest on the soccer jerseys.

Is there any point to the ONE star?

USA Basketball?s new logo incorporates the existing USA type into a badge-shaped mark which reflects the honor of playing for the United States of America?s national team. Also featured is a basketball, a nod to the original Amateur Basketball Association of the United States of America (ABAUSA), and a single star, symbolizing players from all over the country coming together as one team with a common goal.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Is there any point to the ONE star?

Yes, in fact there are five. *rimshot*

Actually, stars are a large part of American symbolism. Without it, the only thing that says USA are the colors... and the USA... And the guitar pick shape (though the UK has as much claim to rock as we do).

Archived