Utah State new logo

Ry

Didn't Utah State already redesign their logo a number of years ago?

Seems to me Ben Barnes (from these boards) designed some logos for them a few years back.

He did. If I remember right the school liked his designs (and personally I feel that his designs are better than what was done by Nike) but the cost to implement the new logo was too great. Nike is paying the bill this time around so you gotta take what they give.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to me Ben Barnes (from these boards) designed some logos for them a few years back.

He did. If I remember right the school liked his designs (and personally I feel that his designs are better than what was done by Nike) but the cost to implement the new logo was too great. Nike is paying the bill this time around so you gotta take what they give.

I liked his

USU1.jpg

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I liked his

USU1.jpg

Logos that spell out the full school or team name and include a graphic of the mascot feel very "minor league" to me. I know Utah State isn't exactly a power athletically, but still, fake it 'till you make it.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I liked his

USU1.jpg

Logos that spell out the full school or team name and include a graphic of the mascot feel very "minor league" to me. I know Utah State isn't exactly a power athletically, but still, fake it 'till you make it.

I think at least 1/3 of all D1 schools have a logo that incorporates a mascot and name. I'd much rather see that than something boring like Syracuse, Nebraska, or Tennessee which just include a generic letter.

That wasn't the only logo that Ben Barnes did. He had an entire set designed. Count me as one that likes having an icon with the name. I think it stands out more. Utah States new logo will follow the pattern of Mississippi State and Iowa State where you just have a letter U with State across it. Personally I think it's a little bland but it works. I would much rather have something mean looking.

That wasn't the only logo that Ben Barnes did. He had an entire set designed. Count me as one that likes having an icon with the name. I think it stands out more. Utah States new logo will follow the pattern of Mississippi State and Iowa State where you just have a letter U with State across it. Personally I think it's a little bland but it works. I would much rather have something mean looking.

I would be a little surprised if that is true.

What part is surprising? Ben Barnes full set can be seen on his site (http://www.benbarnesdesign.com/). It's on page 2 of the sports logos. As far as Utah State's new logo goes, it may not be 100% finalized as of yet but I can assure you that it will be a U with the word STATE across it similar to Mississippi State and Iowa State. State will have an arched bottom but a flat top and may or may not have a border around it.

What part is surprising? Ben Barnes full set can be seen on his site (http://www.benbarnesdesign.com/). It's on page 2 of the sports logos. As far as Utah State's new logo goes, it may not be 100% finalized as of yet but I can assure you that it will be a U with the word STATE across it similar to Mississippi State and Iowa State. State will have an arched bottom but a flat top and may or may not have a border around it.

I haven't seen the design, but based on who designed it, I will be a little surprised if that's true. No inside information here. Maybe you are 100% correct.

I think Utah State would look good in grey. Especially since BYU jumped on the Royal-to-Navy bandwagon.

Not to derail the topic, but is there a petition somewhere to return BYU to royal?

Don't look at me... I'm a third gen Cougar who prefers a darker shade of blue, at least compared to the almost electric shade of blue Nike used for BYU. Compare:

I've always thought the current color of blue on the football uniforms was a little too dark and unsaturated:

I wouldn't mind BYU switching to the same shade as the Giants--

[Just remember, you derailed this topic, I only contributed to the derailment...]

Just want to remind that BYU has already slightly lightened the shade of Blue since originally darkening it in 1999:

BrighamYoungU_OFF_2009_SCC_SRGB.png

To:

BrighamYoungU_OFF_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Just want to remind that BYU has already slightly lightened the shade of Blue since originally darkening it in 1999:

BrighamYoungU_OFF_2009_SCC_SRGB.png

To:

BrighamYoungU_OFF_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

That's right, from PMS 282 to 648 if memory serves, but I'm not sure if that has translated into a difference in the football uniform colors yet. Hey ColorWerx, if you get a chance, could you post swatches of USU blue, 1999 BYU blue, 2010 BYU blue, ca. 1984 BYU royal blue, and a couple of famous blues like Giants and Dodger blue? Thanks.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I think at least 1/3 of all D1 schools have a logo that incorporates a mascot and name. I'd much rather see that than something boring like Syracuse, Nebraska, or Tennessee which just include a generic letter.

Personally, I like the simplicity of our (Nebraska's) logo.

Also, this:

OAvatar.png

Oregon was a recent Nike re-brand (late 90s / early 00s) that is instantly recognizable by any sportsfan.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Personally, I like the simplicity of our (Nebraska's) logo.

Also, this:

OAvatar.png

Oregon was a recent Nike re-brand (late 90s / early 00s) that is instantly recognizable by any sportsfan.

yeah no matter what color it is

I liked his

USU1.jpg

Coincidentally, those are three of the better visual brands in college football. I'm glad you don't call the shots.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

They're only well known because they've been around so long. I would say Utah States logo is good but not a classioc because of lack of tv exposure that those three get as well as its look. The school initials above the bull is the best looking logo of the set.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a little update--I went to a local apparel shop here in Logan and asked a worker there about Utah State's new look. Nothing was said of the logo other than a new one is coming. As for colors, when I asked them, they said that the new gray would be kind of a medium-darker gray, and mentioned that this gray is what Nike calls "anthracite." Not the darkest, but not light either, if I'm not mistaken.* They also mentioned that maybe 2 shades of gray could be used among the school's sports teams.**

When I asked about gray jerseys for either football or basketball, they said that 3rd jerseys for football aren't likely but some could be used for basketball.

*This looks like a job for ColorWerx.

**Note that the gray used by the basketball team is a lighter shade. Here's how it could turn out:

• The basketball team uses this lighter shade on their homes and aways and uses just one shade of gray for their alternate, and
  • The football team uses a darker shade.

In other words, it doesn't look likely that 2 shades of gray will be used on the same uniform.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I liked his

USU1.jpg

Coincidentally, those are three of the better visual brands in college football. I'm glad you don't call the shots.

Huh? 2 of them are terrible. But I guess since 2 are adidas you have to stick up for them.

Thanks for the update, DustDevil. Glad to hear of that shade of gray - sounds a lot like the kind of shade I was hoping they'd adopt. It'll be interesting to see how the potential multiple grays and all turn out as well.

Also, I'd LOVE a gray basketball alt.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Thanks for the update, DustDevil. Glad to hear of that shade of gray - sounds a lot like the kind of shade I was hoping they'd adopt. It'll be interesting to see how the potential multiple grays and all turn out as well.

2 greys? Anyone else get the feeling we're going to be seeing WSU's all-grey's coming to USU?

What I meant to say in my original update was that multiple grays wouldn't be used on the same uniform, but the shade of gray would likely differ between teams (or teams' uniforms). The way I heard it, if I heard it right at all, is that football would use the darker anthracite, while the basketball team uses the lighter shade. Maybe the basketball alternate comes up anthracite, but gray anywhere else (home and road) is light. In other words, only 1 shade of gray would be used on a given uniform.

It's likely that I heard the worker wrong, and I'll try to see about the possibility of 2 grays (or lack thereof) more explicitly sometime this week.

Also, I'd LOVE a gray basketball alt.

The stores up here (on-campus or downtown) seem to sell only replicas. That might change with Nike, or at least something close might come to stores. If Utah State does get a dark gray alternate BB uniform, I might have to get one. (As a graduation present for myself, perhaps?)

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived