2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Paint Scheme Thread

RyanMcD29

Racing design is 90% awful. At the local levels everything is neon, more neon, flames, and more flames. It's good to see some solid design and some less is more showing up in NASCAR designs last few years. As others have mentioned I really like the simple one color schemes that Lagano has used lately. Also the 48 car is great too. I also have always liked the silver Red Bull car, but don't think that's a car this year.

I wish more teams would paint the wheels, I think that can look pretty cool on a car (that Pennzoil car). I think only the Penske cars do that right now.

Hear about Penske going to Ford next year?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a great NASCAR site that I visit frequently. They've got everything there.

Here is a link to the main page

http://www.rubbins-racin.com/forums/

and the Cup series paint schemes

http://www.rubbins-racin.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/29-Sprint-Cup-Series

As far as this years schemes go, I think Jimmie Johnso has one of the best cars. I love how it is just a simple, two color scheme. While he has run the neon yellow numbers his whole career at HMS, I just don't feel they fit into this scheme as evidenced in my photoshop job.

Jimmie-Johnson-Lowes-48yellowpng.png

I also like how Jr's scheme incorporates the sponsor's logos, and I wish Harvick would run the bowite can car full time. That thing is awesome.

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

I want to say a year or two ago Marco Ambrose's car had chrome wheels. It looked really cool.

71244a822bd24efbd.jpg

Ambrose's car was fielded by JTG Daugherty Racing (as in Brad Daugherty, the former Cleveland Cavaliers player), who, up until this season, had a technical alliance with Michael Waltrip Racing, so that's why the chrome wheels were on the #47.

If you guys are looking for a good place to discuss NASCAR paint schemes, as well as the racing itself, I'll endorse Rubbin's Racin' as well. I've been a member there for years. Just don't pull the "another left turn!" crap.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

There is a whole online community that does paint scheme's both real and fictional. The base "game" is Nascar Racing 2003 Season. You actually dont even need the game. You can paint a flat design in Photoshop, and then have it rendered into the 3d model. Here is some "fictional" work I have done. There are all kinds of different car bodies to choose from. Current Sprint Cup and Nationwide. Old body styles from the past even!

skittlecar1_TRS_113340.jpg

skittlecar1_TRS_143037.jpg

skittlecar1_TRS_143441.jpg

skittlecar1_TRS_147877.jpg

Here is a link to Ten0r's Render Shop. I have them do my renders. http://www.ten0rsrendershop.com/index.php?p=renders

iq5b7nF.png

I used to run on Nascar Racing 2003 season for quite a while and have painted up a lot of fictional paints for myself and others.

2011cup1.png

and now I've basically made the switch to the IRacing simulation.

TEXClassLM-1.jpg

Jimmy Johnson has the best scheme in NASCAR, hands down.

Harvick's Bud car has nothing on the car scheme that Jr drove.

M&M's scheme is the worst in racing, in my opinion.

The #99 UPS/Subway/Aflac ride looks good in all schemes to me...especially the Subway.

I don't like either of Smoke's rides...too busy on the door panels and even though I get what they are trying to do with the faux air intake pocket on the side- it doesn't work. KISS.

The thing that bothers me most are the little things...like the Jeff Burton in the CAT car- is it that hard to match the yellow on the car to the yellow in the logo?!?

Add another vote for loving the yellow numerals on Johnson's ride.

working on a PS template now. this wont be anything like the 3D templates, but ill get it as close as i can

screenshot20120303at105.png

Nice. Any idea on when we may see a completed version?

not really. have 3 paying freelance jobs in the works now which comes first. ill shoot for 2 weeks

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived