Buffalo Sabres Early Conceptual Work

kpbl_design

On your concept sheet, the versions near the top-right with legs makes the whole thing make more sense. I always had trouble visualizing the buffalo but seeing it like that makes me realize the slug design isn't so bad (gasp!) haha

Seriously though nice work thanks for posting!

Agreed, the logos with the legs are great (especially the top one) and would have been so much better in the long run.

Yep, I think all the ones with legs look great.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On your concept sheet, the versions near the top-right with legs makes the whole thing make more sense. I always had trouble visualizing the buffalo but seeing it like that makes me realize the slug design isn't so bad (gasp!) haha

Seriously though nice work thanks for posting!

Agreed, the logos with the legs are great (especially the top one) and would have been so much better in the long run.

Yep, I think all the ones with legs look great.

Agreed. Had they legs been included, I would've really liked it. As it was, the "Buffaslug" always looked incomplete to me and I might've been okay with it had it only been some sort of a patch, but not as the primary.

Question: why the red eye? Looking through the progression of the design, it seems all the eyes were yellow and white. Why the switch to red eye?

Also, there are extremely sharp points on the hump, chin, and horn... but the back corner is chopped off and squared... any reason for that?

Probably ties back to the "Angry Goat Head"... The current logo has carried over the red eye as well.

I never understood why the logo came to that abrupt stop... that one was out of my hands. I agree, if it were up to me, the back would've come to a point, for consistency purposes.

Ok, those were just a few things I've always wondered.

I can't say I really care too much for any of the designs you posted in that first graphic, but that first sketch you posted with the motion buffalo and the crossed swords was money... It's a shame that wasn't pushed further.

Having done a couple concepts involving bison, I've come to the realization that bison are tricky animals to draw, especially in "sports-style." The creature is very unorthodox: a huge head but with very small eyes and mouth.

I'm going to a small D-3 school in Massachusetts next year and our team name is the Bison, I'm looking for logos to put on my goalie mask. I saw you had said that you had created some Bison concept logos in the past, would you mind sharing those and would you mind if I used them in my design?

I'm going to a small D-3 school in Massachusetts next year and our team name is the Bison, I'm looking for logos to put on my goalie mask. I saw you had said that you had created some Bison concept logos in the past, would you mind sharing those and would you mind if I used them in my design?

You're expecting a professional designer to do free work for someone he just met?

You-must-be-new-here.jpg

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Hey Kristopher thanks for coming forward and turning yourself in! Kidding! In all honesty, I didn't think it was awful like the Fisherman (Islanders) or Wild Wing (Mighty Ducks) or anything Vancouver Canucks-related, but most of those designs didn't have to deal with the modern internet.

A million questions:

1. The amount of derision the Buffaslug got in the media and online - even a website dedicated to its removal - how on earth did you handle that?

2. Did you ever feel the need to hide the Buffaslug from your body of work when it came to attracting new clients? Curious because a pro sports logo is a HUGE feather in the cap for any designer.

3. What was tougher - the negative response to the Buffaslug, or how its removal was widely celebrated?

4. Was the design process vetted by fans or focus groups? Or was this a private process done solely with the team?

5. Of all the early concepts you've shown here, given the choice what would be your recommendation to the team? (Or would you stick to the final version?)

6. And lastly, what current NHL logo is most worthy of scorn in your opinion?

Like many others here, the ones with legs look way better--they convey a buffalo/bison much more clearly...

Good to see you use this as a learning experience.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Wow. Those concepts on page 1 are hideous. I think it says volumes that even the ones that feature much-needed additions (swords, legs, tail, etc.) range from not-very-good to as bad (if not worse!) than the final product.

I've always assumed that the little rounded part on the belly of the buffaslug was meant to indicate a stylized hoof in motion. As such, I'm surprised that none of the early concepts I've seen (or the end product for that matter) just draw a hoof in there. The bottom of the hoof would show at the bottom of the logo and help drive home the notion that the buffalo has legs and isn't just a giant slug-like creature.

Was there a hoof there at any stage of the development?

Thanks for this kp.

As someone who's not in the graphics business, I find the process really fascinating!

A couple of questions and observations...

1- How'd you get this sweet gig?

2- I didn't mind the slug, but I agree with the others, that the legs would have given this design some "legs"; which brings me to my next point

3- Should sports logos be a little more 'literal' than logos in other fields?

For example...this logo needed the legs for the average sports fan to "get it".

4- Why don't designers use a board like this to get feedback on concepts?

The recent Winnipeg Jets process was a great example of how their final product could have been much better (IMO)

had they used the resources found on these boards.

5- Have you designed for other teams/sports equipment manufacturers/agencies/etc.?

Hey everyone!

I wanna take time to say thanks for stopping by and commenting, providing feedback, and asking questions. I'm looking forward to answering all of your questions, and I plan to do that shortly... just gotta get some work done today!!!

In the meantime, I wanted to post an interview that is currently on Yahoo's sports page, to give a little more insight about my level of involvement in this project.

Yahoo Buffalo Sabres Interview

Thanks guys... take care!

Baze

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Kris,

I definitely appreciate your willingness to share your Sabres work with the world. You were tasked to fulfill a client's vision (either Larry Quinn's, Frank Cravota's, or RBK's) and I believe your success in the client's eyes ultimately was their failure in the end. People seem to be defending this logo in hindsight and they shouldn't. In short, It's not your fault. What THEY wanted sucked. When looking at the previous drafts, they decided on the best of the worst. Iconic and forward thinking are difficult to mesh together.

People forget the how the whole the "return to the blue and gold" went down. A lot of fans were fooled into thinking they were going to see pretty much what they wear now and didn't expect a whole new logo and identity for the team to be unveiled in 2006. It was a patchwork of poor decision by the sabres leadership, public relations, and disregard for the fans. I and Drew (Celestino) quickly realized that and directed our criticism on the Sabres Not Slugs blog toward Larry Quinn, RBK's agenda, and the Sabres full time creative team for green lighting this identity.

Best of luck to you in the future Kris! You have moved on light years ahead of this!

Here are some of the favorite shots I have collected on the slug from the past 4+ years on the blog...

slug+embrace.jpg

PIC-0118.jpg

sabbills.jpg

Sluggabills.jpg

Hey everyone!

I wanna take time to say thanks for stopping by and commenting, providing feedback, and asking questions. I'm looking forward to answering all of your questions, and I plan to do that shortly... just gotta get some work done today!!!

In the meantime, I wanted to post an interview that is currently on Yahoo's sports page, to give a little more insight about my level of involvement in this project.

Yahoo Buffalo Sabres Interview

Thanks guys... take care!

Baze

Great interview and great perspective on the whole thing.

I pretty much killed my shot at a logo project because I resisted too much against the clients wishes. What she wanted was aesthetically incorrect and lost the meaning of the logo, but I couldn't convince her of that. Like I said before, it all comes down to what the client wants, even if they don't understand the consequences of their choice.

With that said, I do like the circle logos, particularly the one with the crossed front legs. I also think the 3/4 perspective logos on the right are interesting and would have liked to have seen the progression of those.

Very cool of you for sharing.

When I saw the pencil concepts posted years ago I had to see what the one would look like coloured. Here it is.

Sabres.jpg

That looks outstanding!

Do you have a larger version of that?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived