• Favourite Logos:Toronto Blue Jays 2012 -
      Quebec Nordiques
      Minnesota North Stars
      Hartford Whalers
      New York Mets
      Boston Bruins (all except 1995-2007)
      New Detroit Lions

Posted March 15, 2012 - 13:48

The New England Hockey Journal recently published a list of the top six Bruins cult heroes. Axelsson, Hnidy, Stock, Satan, (Shawn) Thornton and Dafoe were who they listed (though not in that order). I agree with all of them (though not in the way NEHJ listed them).

It's simple. Post the top "cult heroes" from your favorite team, of any sport. They don't have to be all-stars, only fan favorites.

Ready? GO!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Connor Hanley

Connor Hanley
  • Connorreah

• Members
  • 1,377 posts

• Favourite Logos:Vancouver Canucks, Washington Capitals, Hartford Whalers

Posted March 15, 2012 - 14:33

Anson Carter, Mattias Ohlund, Ed Jovanovski, Matt Cooke, Martin Gelinas, Greg Adams.
Posted Image

#3 illwauk

illwauk
  • "Hey, up yours Springfield!"

• Members
  • 6,863 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 15:46

Brewers: The entire 1982 roster... especially Gorman Thomas and Cecil Cooper.

Packers: Any clunky, obese linesman who "played hard." Usually, a "corn-fed" white guy from the Midwest (but not always) some examples: John Jurkovic, Frank Winters, Gilbert Brown, Adam Timmerman, Aaron Kampman and John Kuhn.

Bucks34Tradition1_zpse4b77760.png

(Yes, I'm a Bucks fan again... provided the new owners don't find a way to f~~k this up.)

#4 Raysfan12

Raysfan12
  • We Want Winston!!!!

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

• Favourite Logos:Louisville Dunking Cardinal, TB Rays "Manta ray", Toronto Blue Jays cap logo, Indianapolis Colts Horseshoe, 1998 Devil Rays cap, and 2013-Pres Minnesota Vikings uniforms

Posted March 15, 2012 - 15:54

Tampa Bay Rays: Any Ray that comes up in the clutch like Dan Johnson, "Super" Sam Fuld, and Dioner Narvarro.

Louisville Cardinals: DeJuan Wheat and Kyle Kuric.

dropdown_athletics_zps82473588.png?t=139 acc_brand_CardinalWhite-e1404163003112_z

#5 JQK

JQK
  • Over There...

• Members
  • 10,726 posts

• Favourite Logos:‍‎ 
      Chicago Black Hawks
      New Jersey Devils
      Hartford Whalers
      Hershey Bears (2012)

Posted March 15, 2012 - 15:59

David Clarkson

When he was here... Johnny Oduya. He's still missed by many fans.

#6 Don

Don
  • Vamos DC

• Members
  • 3,840 posts

• Favourite Logos:The "Weagle", the Nationals Curly W

Posted March 15, 2012 - 16:08

Matt Hendricks, any guy who can fight and dangle in the shootout is fine by me.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

#7 rvrdgsfn

rvrdgsfn
  • Birdland

• Members
  • 2,626 posts

• Favourite Logos:Baltimore Ravens( 1999-Present)
      Washington Capitals Secondary (2007-Present)
      Baltimore Orioles (1966-88, 2012-)
      Richmond Flying Squirrels (2010)
      Virginia Commonwealth University Rams (2014-Present)

Posted March 15, 2012 - 16:16

Matt Hendricks, any guy who can fight and dangle in the shootout is fine by me.

I'd have to agree, along with Jason Chimera & John Erskine.

baltimoreravens.png                 

#8 maz

maz
  • Funky fresh since 1993

• Members
  • 6,714 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 16:20

Max Talbot was a huge fan favorite here........ was.

daburgh2.png

Pittsburgh Natives (EFL) | Pittsburgh 58's (XHL)
pitt501.gif

#9 GFB

GFB
  • Go get 'em.

• Members
  • 3,586 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 16:28

We all have our personal favorites, but for some absurd reason, Brandon 'Check-swing Strikeout' Inge is revered in this town...

Posted Image

I've never seen so many people vehemently defend a career .220 hitter, average defender, clubhouse cancer. The guy owns the Tigers record for most career strikeouts, while only playing in about half the games as Al Kaline. It's sick.

#10 RedSox44

RedSox44
  • Keep the Red Flag Flying High

• Members
  • 3,401 posts

Quebec Nordiques
      Minnesota North Stars
      Hartford Whalers
      New York Mets
      New Detroit Lions

Posted March 15, 2012 - 16:38

We all have our personal favorites, but for some absurd reason, Brandon 'Check-swing Strikeout' Inge is revered in this town...

Posted Image

I've never seen so many people vehemently defend a career .220 hitter, average defender, clubhouse cancer. The guy owns the Tigers record for most career strikeouts, while only playing in about half the games as Al Kaline. It's sick.

Reminds me of PJ Stock! Stock played only 130 games over three seasons and scored only ten points. He liked beating the :censored: out of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbBTeLji994
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 GFB

GFB
  • Go get 'em.

• Members
  • 3,586 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 17:05

Posted Image

Reminds me of PJ Stock! Stock played only 130 games over three seasons and scored only ten points. He liked beating the :censored: out of people.

Well, maybe if PJ Stock played for the Bruins for a decade and half the jerseys you see at the games are PJ Stock jerseys... and if every time they would try to upgrade his position, he threw a temper-tantrum and switched positions.... and if half Bruins fans of the team started publicly crying about PJ not playing because he's "such a great player" or "such a great guy"... then maybe it would be similar.

#12 pcgd

pcgd

• Members
  • 7,278 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 17:05

St. Louis Cardinals: Willie McGee is the easy one and the best example. One of mine is Joe Magrane only cause I got his autograph when I was little.
Chicago Bears: Probably Mongo McMicheal, McMahon, Fridge or anyone from the 85 bears that isn't named Walter. Neil Anderson and Tom Waddle are a few more good ones.
Illinois: There are ton on basketball from the 90s when they sucked. The Late Matt Heldman is probably the best example. Football I can't think of any except random players I remember but I wouldn't call them "cult" players.

#13 nash61

nash61
  • Who you gonna call?

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

• Favourite Logos:Johnny Canuck, Hartford Whalers, Lady Liberty, Stinger, Pre-Edge London Knights, Philadelphia Eagles, Florida Gators

Posted March 15, 2012 - 17:14

Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark, Darcy Tucker, and Tie Domi.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12

#14 RedSox44

RedSox44
  • Keep the Red Flag Flying High

• Members
  • 3,401 posts

Quebec Nordiques
      Minnesota North Stars
      Hartford Whalers
      New York Mets
      New Detroit Lions

Posted March 15, 2012 - 17:49

Posted Image

Well, maybe if PJ Stock played for the Bruins for a decade and half the jerseys you see at the games are PJ Stock jerseys... and if every time they would try to upgrade his position, he threw a temper-tantrum and switched positions.... and if half Bruins fans of the team started publicly crying about PJ not playing because he's "such a great player" or "such a great guy"... then maybe it would be similar.

Lolz. I just wanted an excuse to post that video.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 NJTank

NJTank
  • Being a Mets fan is like being water boarded on a nightly basis

• Members
  • 40,241 posts

• Favourite Logos:New York Mets
      Detroit Red Wings
      Tampa Bay Buccaneers
      Boston Celtics

Posted March 15, 2012 - 17:51

The Mets have more cult heroes than anybody

Casey Stengel
Choo Choo Coleman
George "The Stork" Theodore
Marvelous Marvin Throneberry
Art Shamsky
Ed Kranepool
Tug McGraw
Rusty Staub
Buddy Harrleson
Dave Kong Kingman
Lee Mazzilli
Len Dykstra
Roger McDowell
Wally Backman
Mookie Wilson
Anthony Young
Benny Agbayani
Shinjo
Turk Wendell
Todd Pratt
Endy Chavez

Just to name a few
Posted Image
www.sportsecyclopedia.com
For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com
Posted Image

#16 Funky Bunky

Funky Bunky
  • Suspended

• Banned
  • 3,025 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 18:17

Anaheim Ducks: George Parros, Stu Grimson, Steve Rucchin, Samuel Pahlsson, Dan Sexton, Andy McDonald...

Anaheim Angels: David Eckstein, Reggie Willts, Chone Figgins....

....Too young to remember anything before 2000. (besides Grimson and Rucchin)

#17 Funky Bunky

Funky Bunky
  • Suspended

• Banned
  • 3,025 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 18:20

Posted Image

It's a combination of his badass facial hair, tattoos, the low crown cap, and that one good year he had (2006).

#18 the admiral

the admiral

• Members
  • 20,357 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 18:27

You know what, I think the Mets themselves are just a cult.

Kind of annoys me the way some of the Blackhawks' fanbase venerates Bob Probert. I think he's more to be pitied than revered. But find me a fanbase that doesn't have a soft spot for those sorts of guys. Even Wings fans still liked Probert.

Rod Beck and Sweaty Joe Borowski come to mind for the Cubs. Kyle Farnsworth is the rare Cult Villain.

Bears: there is only one answer

Posted Image

unmatched

#19 speedy

speedy

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 18:38

Shane Hnidy and Miroslav Satan? No, just.. no. Hnidy was and always will be a bum, he wasn't that popular around here. Also, according to this list the Bruins started playing professional ice hockey in 1997. I honestly forgot all about Satan until this article, I'll probably forget about him again in a few hours. I don't think there has been or ever will be a guy like PJ Stock. He sucked, he played like 14 games, but he beat the piss out of everyone (or tried to). I still wear my Stock Crew shirt around the house on occasion. No guy has been more beloved for doing so little, good on him. Axelsson deserves more respect than he's given, it's a shame he never got to raise The Cup.

For the Sox? I don't know, is there any? Pedroia, Youkilis, Ellsbury.. they've all become bonafide stars. Maybe Salty in that weird "hey he married his hot math teacher" kind of following.

Celtics, who cares? Scals before he left, can't think of anyone now.

skyline-1.png

#20 GFB

GFB
  • Go get 'em.

• Members
  • 3,586 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 18:42

For the Wings, I don't know if there could ever be a bigger one than...

Posted Image

Stanley Cup clinching goal.... Pummeling the living crap out of turtles... Starting an awful rock band and people still flocking to see your band after you gamble away your life earnings....