Your Team's Top "Cult Heroes"

RedSox44

The New England Hockey Journal recently published a list of the top six Bruins cult heroes. Axelsson, Hnidy, Stock, Satan, (Shawn) Thornton and Dafoe were who they listed (though not in that order). I agree with all of them (though not in the way NEHJ listed them).

It's simple. Post the top "cult heroes" from your favorite team, of any sport. They don't have to be all-stars, only fan favorites.

Ready? GO!

spacer.png

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers: The entire 1982 roster... especially Gorman Thomas and Cecil Cooper.

Packers: Any clunky, obese linesman who "played hard." Usually, a "corn-fed" white guy from the Midwest (but not always) some examples: John Jurkovic, Frank Winters, Gilbert Brown, Adam Timmerman, Aaron Kampman and John Kuhn.

Matt Hendricks, any guy who can fight and dangle in the shootout is fine by me.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

We all have our personal favorites, but for some absurd reason, Brandon 'Check-swing Strikeout' Inge is revered in this town...

20090602231222_2009-0602-rb-tigers-redsox227.jpg

I've never seen so many people vehemently defend a career .220 hitter, average defender, clubhouse cancer. The guy owns the Tigers record for most career strikeouts, while only playing in about half the games as Al Kaline. It's sick.

We all have our personal favorites, but for some absurd reason, Brandon 'Check-swing Strikeout' Inge is revered in this town...

I've never seen so many people vehemently defend a career .220 hitter, average defender, clubhouse cancer. The guy owns the Tigers record for most career strikeouts, while only playing in about half the games as Al Kaline. It's sick.

Reminds me of PJ Stock! Stock played only 130 games over three seasons and scored only ten points. He liked beating the :censored: out of people.

spacer.png

Reminds me of PJ Stock! Stock played only 130 games over three seasons and scored only ten points. He liked beating the :censored: out of people.

Well, maybe if PJ Stock played for the Bruins for a decade and half the jerseys you see at the games are PJ Stock jerseys... and if every time they would try to upgrade his position, he threw a temper-tantrum and switched positions.... and if half Bruins fans of the team started publicly crying about PJ not playing because he's "such a great player" or "such a great guy"... then maybe it would be similar.

St. Louis Cardinals: Willie McGee is the easy one and the best example. One of mine is Joe Magrane only cause I got his autograph when I was little.

Chicago Bears: Probably Mongo McMicheal, McMahon, Fridge or anyone from the 85 bears that isn't named Walter. Neil Anderson and Tom Waddle are a few more good ones.

Illinois: There are ton on basketball from the 90s when they sucked. The Late Matt Heldman is probably the best example. Football I can't think of any except random players I remember but I wouldn't call them "cult" players.

Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark, Darcy Tucker, and Tie Domi.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Well, maybe if PJ Stock played for the Bruins for a decade and half the jerseys you see at the games are PJ Stock jerseys... and if every time they would try to upgrade his position, he threw a temper-tantrum and switched positions.... and if half Bruins fans of the team started publicly crying about PJ not playing because he's "such a great player" or "such a great guy"... then maybe it would be similar.

Lolz. I just wanted an excuse to post that video.

spacer.png

The Mets have more cult heroes than anybody

Casey Stengel

Choo Choo Coleman

George "The Stork" Theodore

Marvelous Marvin Throneberry

Art Shamsky

Ed Kranepool

Tug McGraw

Rusty Staub

Buddy Harrleson

Dave Kong Kingman

Lee Mazzilli

Len Dykstra

Roger McDowell

Wally Backman

Mookie Wilson

Anthony Young

Benny Agbayani

Shinjo

Turk Wendell

Todd Pratt

Endy Chavez

Just to name a few

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Anaheim Ducks: George Parros, Stu Grimson, Steve Rucchin, Samuel Pahlsson, Dan Sexton, Andy McDonald...

Anaheim Angels: David Eckstein, Reggie Willts, Chone Figgins....

....Too young to remember anything before 2000. (besides Grimson and Rucchin)

It's a combination of his badass facial hair, tattoos, the low crown cap, and that one good year he had (2006).

You know what, I think the Mets themselves are just a cult.

Kind of annoys me the way some of the Blackhawks' fanbase venerates Bob Probert. I think he's more to be pitied than revered. But find me a fanbase that doesn't have a soft spot for those sorts of guys. Even Wings fans still liked Probert.

Rod Beck and Sweaty Joe Borowski come to mind for the Cubs. Kyle Farnsworth is the rare Cult Villain.

Bears: there is only one answer

Orton_Kyle.JPG

unmatched

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Shane Hnidy and Miroslav Satan? No, just.. no. Hnidy was and always will be a bum, he wasn't that popular around here. Also, according to this list the Bruins started playing professional ice hockey in 1997. I honestly forgot all about Satan until this article, I'll probably forget about him again in a few hours. I don't think there has been or ever will be a guy like PJ Stock. He sucked, he played like 14 games, but he beat the piss out of everyone (or tried to). I still wear my Stock Crew shirt around the house on occasion. No guy has been more beloved for doing so little, good on him. Axelsson deserves more respect than he's given, it's a shame he never got to raise The Cup.

For the Sox? I don't know, is there any? Pedroia, Youkilis, Ellsbury.. they've all become bonafide stars. Maybe Salty in that weird "hey he married his hot math teacher" kind of following.

Celtics, who cares? Scals before he left, can't think of anyone now.

For the Wings, I don't know if there could ever be a bigger one than...

McCartyLemieux.png

Stanley Cup clinching goal.... Pummeling the living crap out of turtles... Starting an awful rock band and people still flocking to see your band after you gamble away your life earnings....

Archived