Hornets, state announce agreement to keep team in N.O. thru 2024

B-Rich

There has been a grassroots movement to bring the Hornets name back to Charlotte that has been there, but mostly quiet until now. Through social media, the movement has been moved to a petition, all the way to on March 30th, and entire section of fans have bought tickets to a game and are planning to wear Hornets gear, with signs, etc.

As much as the rebranding seems to have taken foot in New Orleans, the Hornets returning to Charlotte around here has really taken a buzz. The "leader" of the "Bring Back the Buzz" campaign I talked about above has done interviews with local Sports radio, New stations, Generic Radio, etc, etc, and it has really taken off.

Now I know the majority of the community here will strongly disagree, and think it's silly to consider returning names back to geographical relevance, but the Charlotte area and most of North Carolina is almost clamoring to get back the Hornets name. New Orleans and Charlotte are in a unique situation, in given the fact both franchises are struggling in markets they are dying to become a staple in. New Orleans needs an owner, and Charlotte needs a true identity.

Besides, if Jordan announces a agreement in process to get the Hornets name back here in Charlotte, most casual fans, and "bandwagoners" alike will rejoice so much, that they'll almost forget how much of a sub-par owner Jordan has been so far in his tenure here... :therock:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait a minute, they signed this ironclad lease while the team was still in receivership? I thought this was done in conjunction with the Hornets having been bought!

See the first post in the thread, and read the press release present in that post. Lease is not signed yet; the deal is subject to the conclusion of the NBA?s sale of the team to a new owner and legislative approval, both of which appear to be givens. As I said, the new owner will probably also be announced shortly. I also noted that it appeared that the deals (lease and owenership) are being worked in tandem.

Quite simply, the league-as-owner has been doing a lot of work to secure the team's future in New Orleans. The league did the marketing effort just before and during the lockout which got the season ticket base over the 10,000 mark. They managed the team roster in such a way so that it will next season have a more "open" payroll (i.e. fewer stars, less committed salary) so any new owner can come in and rebuild as desired (this, however did not do much for the team'sability to win this year. They have negotiated this long-term lease wiht the facility owner (state) and have worked to identify owners. As the press releases have said, any owner or ownership group purchasing the team gets the whole package deal-- an NBA team with a 10,000 season ticket base and open payroll-- but is also subject to the long-term lease.

Maybe my "merge the Bobcats and Hornets into the Charlotte Hornets and create an expansion Supersonics" was a pretty good idea.

Nope. :P

It is what it is.

There has been a grassroots movement to bring the Hornets name back to Charlotte that has been there, but mostly quiet until now. Through social media, the movement has been moved to a petition, all the way to on March 30th, and entire section of fans have bought tickets to a game and are planning to wear Hornets gear, with signs, etc.

I would say part of the reason for the Bobcats lack of success in terms of attendance has been their name. It was supposed to be a popular vote, but then Bob Johnson just decided to name the team after himself which I couldn't see sitting well with anyone other then Bob Johnson. So from day one they've had an identity crisis.

I don't know what the Bobcats can really do at this point about the name though. They aren't going to get the Hornets name. New Orleans Bobcats just makes no sense and I don't see the Hornets wanting to change their name anyway. I think they like the Fleur de Bee image they have. Best thing I would say for them is that if they think its really an issue do as they originally intended and open up the name to a public vote or competition. Probably would be something worthwhile looking into because I don't think anyone likes the name Bobcats.

I figure one thing, you know your team's name is far too intertwined with your former city when A: people slip up and call you by said former city a decade after you move, or B: people slip up and call the new team in your former home by your name. Can't really blame anybody though, Charlotte Hornets rolled off the tongue real well.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I think the Bobcats name issue is more of how they came out of the gate: poor local TV deal, owner naming team after himself, etc.

Don't see NOLA giving up the name...the fleur de bee is pretty sharp and they've been there a decade.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I think the Bobcats name issue is more of how they came out of the gate: poor local TV deal, owner naming team after himself, etc.

Don't see NOLA giving up the name...the fleur de bee is pretty sharp and they've been there a decade.

Bingo. If the Bobcats can start to actually win for a change, then maybe people will get behind the name. They've been in the league for 7 years, had a grand total of 1 winning season, 1 playoff appearance, & 0 playoff wins. Kind of hard to get Joe Schmoe behind the team when all they've done since they came into existence is lose. I can almost guarantee that had they come out of the gate swinging, made 2 or 3 playoff appearances and become a playoff contender & expanded that fanbase, nobody but people like us would care about the whole Bobcats/Hornets deal because nostalgia would be replaced by cheering for an honest-to-God good team.

Also right on the fact that New Orleans won't be giving up the nickname any time soon. Not to Utah, not to Charlotte, nobody.

Well that's just it, Charlotte DIDN'T come out of the gate winning and thus the name Bobcats has become nothing but a reminder of how full of himself the original owner was, that he'd choose to name the team after himself rather than listen to what the fans want. Yes he had the right to do so, but now that he's out, they don't care. I see it less likely that the Hornets would change, but I could definitely see Charlotte trying to rebrand themselves as something else. Maybe something more regionally appropriate or at least something the fans would get behind.

So about the name change thing:

Utah Grizzlies

New Orleans Jazz

Charlotte Hornets

Memphis Bobcats

Am I doing it right? :P

Really though, people need to just get used to the names as they are. The Hornets situation nearly parallels the Oilers/Titans situation.

Oilers leave Houston for Tennessee (Nashville). Houston gets the expansion Texans. People got used to it. Likewise, Hornets leave Charlotte for New Orleans. Charlotte gets the expansion Bobcats. Why are people having such a tough time adjusting? Hasn't it been like a decade since the relocation?!

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

One more thing...Bob Johnson himself admitted it wasn't the best idea to play a season in the old Charlotte Coliseum and that they should have started when then-named Bobcats Arena opened. I bet playing there for a year just reminded people of the Hornets and what they had lost.

Would they ever consider adopting the Cougars ABA name? I assume the NBA owns the old ABA names since the merger. Or is naming a new team Cougars out of vogue now because of Cougar taking on the meaning of an older woman dating a younger man.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I assume the NBA owns the old ABA names since the merger.

I did a search of the USPTO online database a few months back and found that the NBA holds the LIVE trademark rights (primarily for the purposes of applying said trademarks to apparel) to the Anaheim Amigos, Baltimore Claws, Carolina Cougars, Dallas Chaparrals, Los Angeles Stars, Memphis Pros, New Orleans Buccaneers, Oakland Oaks, Pittsburgh Condors, Pittsburgh Pipers, San Diego Conquistadors, Spirits of St. Louis, and Virginia Squires identities.

The Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers, New York Nets, and San Antonio Spurs trademarks are held, respectively, by the Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers, New Jersey Nets, and San Antonio Spurs. The Denver Rockets trademark is held by the Houston Rockets.

The Baltimore Hustlers trademark is held by Ghost Designer, LLC.

The Kentucky Colonels trademarked name is held by the Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels.

The Los Angeles Stars trademarked name for use in conjunction with presenting martial arts competitions is held by Carlos Ray Norris.

Trademark protection for the Houston Mavericks, Memphis Sounds, Memphis Tams, Miami Floridians, Minnesota Muskies, Minnesota Pipers, New Jersey Americans, San Diego Sails, Texas Chaparrals, Utah Stars, and Washington Caps identities came up as DEAD.

I did a search of the USPTO online database a few months back and found that the NBA holds the LIVE trademark rights (primarily for the purposes of applying said trademarks to apparel) to the Anaheim Amigos, Baltimore Claws, Carolina Cougars, Dallas Chaparrals, Los Angeles Stars, Memphis Pros, New Orleans Buccaneers, Oakland Oaks, Pittsburgh Condors, Pittsburgh Pipers, San Diego Conquistadors, Spirits of St. Louis, and Virginia Squires identities.

The Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers, New York Nets, and San Antonio Spurs trademarks are held, respectively, by the Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers, New Jersey Nets, and San Antonio Spurs. The Denver Rockets trademark is held by the Houston Rockets.

The Kentucky Colonels trademarked name is held by the Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels.

The Los Angeles Stars trademarked name for use in conjunction with presenting martial arts competitions is held by Carlos Ray Norris.

Trademark protection for the Houston Mavericks, Memphis Sounds, Memphis Tams, Miami Floridians, Minnesota Muskies, Minnesota Pipers, New Jersey Americans, San Diego Sails, Texas Chaparrals, Utah Stars, and Washington Caps identities came up as DEAD.

1) Which is it? Is the Stars' trademark held by the league or by Norris?

2) I'm fairly certain the Tams' trademark is either owned by the league or public domain, as the Grizzlies will/have thrownback to the Tams during this season.

Sidenote: I wish the Kentucky Colonels and Virginia Squires survived. Awesome names right there.

spacer.png

2) I'm fairly certain the Tams' trademark is either owned by the league or public domain, as the Grizzlies will/have thrownback to the Tams during this season.

Sidenote: I wish the Kentucky Colonels and Virginia Squires survived. Awesome names right there.

If they NBDL ever came to Richmond or Norfolk, I wish they would use the Squires name, IMO, one of the most underated logos in basketball...

NewSquiresLogo.gifVirginiaSquiresLogo.png

baltimoreravens.png

Oh the Tams throwbacks...yuck

As far as Charlotte, what if they pulled a Devil Rays and just became the Charlotte Cats, getting rid of their original logo and the orange in the process.

RIP Demitra #38

According to the United States Patent & Trademark Office, both. The NBA holds trademark rights to Los Angeles Stars for use on "clothing, namely, shirts, hats and caps". Mr. Norris holds trademark rights to use Los Angeles Stars in connection with "Entertainment in the nature of martial arts competitions and exhibitions".

It is not unheard of for the USPTO online database to not list a trademark that is "LIVE" and owned by someone. There can be lag-time between the filing of paperwork and the database being updated, owners can request that a trademark be kept under wraps in advance of a brand unveiling, etc.

Kentucky Colonels and Virginia Squires... Awesome names right there.

Agreed.

Oh boy. Here we go again?

If the Kings do, in fact, end up moving after all, I sure hope it's to Seattle and not Anaheim. But the only thing most of us can do is watch and wait.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I couldn't help but feel there was a slant reading that report in the L.A. Times. "Anaheim is back in play"? Please, it said "all options are on the table." I can't imagine Anaheim is even the first option anymore. Someone in the comments said the Sac Bee had a similar report and the issue is $3 million... for a $400-plus million arena.

Besides, those three pictured in the link sure would look like goofs if this thing fell apart now. Talk about premature celebration. Even the Heat would be embarrassed about the way those guys pranced around and hugged at the first Kings home game after the ASG.

EDIT and UPDATE: Found the Bee story and it had new news: The NBA will cover the extra $3 mil or so: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/29/4376882/new-arena-troubles.html Nothing to see here.

I couldn't help but feel there was a slant reading that report in the L.A. Times. "Anaheim is back in play"? Please, it said "all options are on the table." I can't imagine Anaheim is even the first option anymore. Someone in the comments said the Sac Bee had a similar report and the issue is $3 million... for a $400-plus million arena.

Besides, those three pictured in the link sure would look like goofs if this thing fell apart now. Talk about premature celebration. Even the Heat would be embarrassed about the way those guys pranced around and hugged at the first Kings home game after the ASG.

EDIT and UPDATE: Found the Bee story and it had new news: The NBA will cover the extra $3 mil or so: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/29/4376882/new-arena-troubles.html Nothing to see here.

Looks like they're safe... For now

baltimoreravens.png

Archived