2012 Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tourney

bigbean24

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, maybe that wasn't a very timely post, seeing as we're in the midst of the worst NHL season since 2004, but college hockey is still way too clutchy-grabby for me. But why wouldn't it be? The best prospects are in major-junior and/or the US development team, or in Europe. I mean, if there are sixty teams in the top developmental league, and you're not on any of them, you're not really on the fast track. It's like college baseball, if college hockey sticks made a comical noise on slapshots.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Call it me, but I find that college hockey offers a much better fan experience than the AHL if for no other reason than the relative lack of annoying promotional announcements during every stoppage of play.

Call it me, but I find that college hockey offers a much better fan experience than the AHL if for no other reason than the relative lack of annoying promotional announcements during every stoppage of play.

I always had a blast going to the games I went to.

Its definitely a niche following, but the major colleges (Minnesota, Boston College/University, Michigan, Maine) all have very solid fanbases. Its also do in part to the fact that the best colleges in the country are pretty compacted and the conferences as well are also very compacted so you have great regional rivalries. And some of the schools that are dominant like Vermont and Denver are not really good at any other sport. So at some of these schools hockey is the sport to follow.

I know with Hockey East you would see a top 25 team visit almost every night. I would imagine its much the same with the WCHA.

It is a ton of fun if you happen to be going to one of these schools.

U of Alabama, Huntsville is hosting the frozen four at Tampa? Or are they just hosting a Region? You weren't very clear.

It's pretty cool that it's in Tampa, though. Maybe one of these days, the frozen four can find it's way to either the Honda Center or Staples Center. That would be pretty cool. All we have here is division 2 college hockey (I believe it's D-2). USC, UCLA and a bunch of area colleges have teams, but they're club teams...

:blink: "All we have here is division 2 college hockey (I believe it's D-2)." "but they're club teams" You know they're club but you think they're NCAA D2? I think why you might be confused is that the ACHA has 3 divisions.

Yeah, I don't really follow college hockey, if you haven't noticed.

.... I meant D-2 ACHA.

Well, maybe that wasn't a very timely post, seeing as we're in the midst of the worst NHL season since 2004, but college hockey is still way too clutchy-grabby for me. But why wouldn't it be? The best prospects are in major-junior and/or the US development team, or in Europe. I mean, if there are sixty teams in the top developmental league, and you're not on any of them, you're not really on the fast track. It's like college baseball, if college hockey sticks made a comical noise on slapshots.

The USNTDP is U17 and U18 so it's kids that wouldn't be in college yet anyway. That part of your point is invalid. College hockey has it's fair share of drafted prospects come through the ranks. Not to sound rude, but this post just sounds ignorant.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I always had a blast going to the games I went to.

Its definitely a niche following, but the major colleges (Minnesota, Boston College/University, Michigan, Maine) all have very solid fanbases. Its also do in part to the fact that the best colleges in the country are pretty compacted and the conferences as well are also very compacted so you have great regional rivalries. And some of the schools that are dominant like Vermont and Denver are not really good at any other sport. So at some of these schools hockey is the sport to follow.

I know with Hockey East you would see a top 25 team visit almost every night. I would imagine its much the same with the WCHA.

It is a ton of fun if you happen to be going to one of these schools.

This... and in what other sport would a Michigan Tech or Minnesota-Duluth have a realistic shot at beating a Wisconsin or Minnesota?

You're right about the WCHA too, except it'll be a shell of its former self next year when the Big Ten adds hockey and the rest of the traditional powerhouses (North Dakota, Denver, Colorado College, etc.) move to the new NCHA. The upside of this for me is that the WCHA and some of the Badgers program's financial supporters who aren't happy with this decision are now prodding Milwaukee to add hockey since there's a huge college hockey following in Wisconsin (every Frozen Four match thats ever been played at the Bradley Center has sold out) that the WCHA doesn't want to miss out on.

Hope John Gaudreau and his Boston College Eagles have a long, successful tournament.

Don't think there is any media coverage here in Canada though.

Β 

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Β 

...there's a huge college hockey following in Wisconsin (every Frozen Four match thats ever been played at the Bradley Center has sold out) that the WCHA doesn't want to miss out on.

No offense, but every Frozen Four since '00 (excluding Detroit two years ago, but come on, the got 35,000 per game) has been a sell out (including "hockey Mad" Columbus, OH, St. Louis, and Washington, DC). You'd do better touting UW's nation leading attendance than touting local Frozen Four attendance.

I would love to see it come to Newark one day.

I know I'm late to this, but I would love a Frozen Four in Newark. The annual BU-Cornell game at the Garden sells out and there's plenty of B10 alumni in the city that would come out to see their teams. Plus I'm sure they can get Army or Princeton to be the host school for it considering they've got hockey programs, though Seton Hall could too with Navy hosting that one in DC

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Does anyone know of a site that will be streaming the games tomorrow? Really no coverage here in Canada, but I'd be interested in watching pretty much all the games tomorrow.

This is kind of late because the first game is in an hour, but all of today's games (and probably every game of the tournament) will be streaming on espn3.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

Does anyone know of a site that will be streaming the games tomorrow? Really no coverage here in Canada, but I'd be interested in watching pretty much all the games tomorrow.

This is kind of late because the first game is in an hour, but all of today's games (and probably every game of the tournament) will be streaming on espn3.

Sadly. ESPN3 can't be used by Canadians.

Β 

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Β 

Sadly. ESPN3 can't be used by Canadians.

sw50sw8sw578.gif

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well, Union did well in the first game in Bridgeport (BTW, the missed goal for Michigan State was a bogus call) and if you are a Miami of Ohio fan, you may want to find a place to hide as UMass Lowell is beating them down.

Β 

Archived