Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

They aren't using it nearly as much as they should be using a new primary logo. It's not invisible but the circle b is much more prevelant. Lets see what happens in a year or so I bet we almost never see the shield.

You seem to be missing the point - the shield logo is not their primary logo. This is their primary logo:

137_brooklyn-nets-primary-2013.gif

The shield with the city name. The shield logo by itself is an alternate or "partial" logo.

The shield by itself is a "partial" or alternate logo. They use the alternates everywhere - if the "circle-B" more on merchandise, then the "solo shield" more in advertising - but if you can't identify the primary logo then you'll have a hard time drawing any meaningful conclusions about why and when they use their primary logo. :P

Ok gothamite. We went from having an intelligent respectful discussion and debate to childish insults. So with that I'll just end it now.

But for the record I know the difference between the primary and the partial. The primary, with the word Brooklyn tacked on, is clearly without question to appease the nba logo regulations. That is not what the last few pages of this tread have been about because that goes without saying. I have been calling the shield the primary to differentiate it from the circle b secondary, but also because with or without the word Brooklyn it supports my argument that it is modeled after the previous logo. We can argue forever about how close it is to the old one and why it's like that and when it's used.

Let's just sit back and see how it plays out. But I stand by the fact that all signs point the the b circle logo being their preferred logo, and because of that I question the reason for the design of the shield logo.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of teams in the NBA become more know by their alternate any way, look at how often the Celtics Shamrock logo, the Knicks Subway token, the Raptors Claw Print, the Pistons DP, and the Bobcats basketball head are used. There are countless teams in the NBA that use their secondary more and I sense that will be the case in Brooklyn. The alternate Brooklyn circle is a better logo any way, and when I get something with the logo that's the one I will seek out,

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Ok gothamite. We went from having an intelligent respectful discussion and debate to childish insults. So with that I'll just end it now.

Hey, now, I didn't mean that. That's why I used the " :P ", to show that I was just needling you. I really didn't mean to cause actual offense, and I apologize for having done so.

But to the case, you can call that shield the "primary" all you want. Doesn't make it so. Just like someone can make up this "50% Rule" on a message board, still doesn't make that so.

Hey, now, I didn't mean that. That's why I used the " :P ", to show that I was just needling you. I really didn't mean to cause actual offense, and I apologize for having done so.

But to the case, you can call that shield the "primary" all you want. Doesn't make it so. Just like someone can make up this "50% Rule" on a message board, still doesn't make that so.

Im not offended I was just enjoying the healthy debate until it turned childish.

Ok it's not the primary, the Shield with Brooklyn underneath is.. But honestly that even further validates my overall point I was getting at is that nba rules for primary logos including any incentive to make simple changes and recolors rather than a full redesign are only being followed by the teams to appease the league and avoid fines if there are any.

All of the aforementioned teams including the nets have primary logos that they don't ever want to use, so why have them at all?

We both agree on this. The debate is whether the nets are doing that also with their partial logo.. I feel they are, you feel they aren't. I feel the partial logo is just a by product of a half assed logo designed to appease the league rules. I don't see them using it much now and I anticipate them using it less as time goes on In favor of the b circle.

You feel they actually like and use the partial logo and will continue to do so, and only the primary with a tacked on City name is there for the league.

If the Nets were actually trying to forget about their primary like the Jazz and others I don't think thru would have the shield without Brooklyn at all. I think the existence of that logo proves that they want to use it. The have the primary with Brooklyn to follow rules and the alternate without to use as their primary.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

If the Nets were actually trying to forget about their primary like the Jazz and others I don't think thru would have the shield without Brooklyn at all. I think the existence of that logo proves that they want to use it. The have the primary with Brooklyn to follow rules and the alternate without to use as their primary.

That was my thought exactly, if not so succinctly stated.

The primary, with the word Brooklyn tacked on, is clearly without question to appease the nba logo regulations.

I'll get childish for a minute: this is simply absurd.

For one thing, we don't know what those regulations really are and what their true intent is. Even still, in all the other cases, the shape of the logo was maintained, and maybe a few inconsequential mods were made, but if printed out in black and white, the other recolored logos would be nearly indistinguishable from their predecessors. This isn't simply a recolor. It's an entirely different shape, different font, brand-new B-ball, no stupid halo thing, etc. It's an entirely different logo. It may have been inspired by the recent NJ Nets shield logo, but any sane person would consider it a 100% brand-new logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The primary, with the word Brooklyn tacked on, is clearly without question to appease the nba logo regulations.

For one thing, we don't know what those regulations really are and what their true intent is. Even still, in all the other cases, the shape of the logo was maintained, and maybe a few inconsequential mods were made, but if printed out in black and white, the other recolored logos would be nearly indistinguishable from their predecessors. This isn't simply a recolor. It's an entirely different shape, different font, brand-new B-ball, no stupid halo thing, etc. It's an entirely different logo. It may have been inspired by the recent NJ Nets shield logo, but any sane person would consider it a 100% brand-new logo.

I'd say your response is the absurd one, BBtV. GoForBroke makes a valid point.

The argument isn't over whether it's a brand new logo or not, it's whether the BROOKLYN was tacked on because of a regularion or not.

When you look at the two most recent primary logo revamps (not recolors) in the NBA - Brooklyn and Philly - both have cities/states awkwardly and clearly forcibly tacked onto the logo as an afterthought; and they both did not previously include cities/states. It would be clear to any sane person that there's a decent chance they're following some regulation.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The argument isn't over whether it's a brand new logo or not....

Actually it is. goforbroke's trying to convince everyone that the new Nets' shield logo is in the same boat as the recoloured Raptors, Wizards, Jazz, Nuggets, Bucks, and Hawks primaries. Simply put, it's not. Not by a long shot.

I'd say your response is the absurd one, BBtV. GoForBroke makes a valid point.

The argument isn't over whether it's a brand new logo or not, it's whether the BROOKLYN was tacked on because of a regularion or not.

When you look at the two most recent primary logo revamps (not recolors) in the NBA - Brooklyn and Philly - both have cities/states awkwardly and clearly forcibly tacked onto the logo as an afterthought; and they both did not previously include cities/states. It would be clear to any sane person that there's a decent chance they're following some regulation.

The argument is that the design was chosen because it's close enough to the old one so as only to count as a recolor and not a full redesign, thereby getting around the primary logo change fee. Goforbroke didn't even realize that the version with Brooklyn tacked on was the primary, therefore that couldn't have been the argument (though you'll get no argument from me about that - it's clear there's some direction to include the city name, resulting in the Philadelphia mess.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When I made that statement I was talking about the add on of Brooklyn being to appease the NBA, not the shape of the shield.

Earlier I was talking about the shape of the logo, the partial logo, and thats whay caused the whole debate

but what I was saying there was that I think we can all agree the primary with Brooklyn tacked on is absolutely to fulfil some rule that states the city name must be included In the primary logo no matter how much of an afterthought it looks like.

It sure seems like there's a rule, however the Pacers and Wizards somehow managed to get around it, even though both made changes to their logos relatively recently (2005 for the Pacers, last season for the Wizards.)

It sure seems like there's a rule, however the Pacers and Wizards somehow managed to get around it, even though both made changes to their logos relatively recently (2005 for the Pacers, last season for the Wizards.)

The only explanation I could think of for those two not having the location is that the "location rule" was put in place after the previous logo. Then when each of them recolored their logos recently they weren't forced to add the location.

Or there isn't a "location rule" and teams are just strongly encouraged to have their location as part of the primary logo. But with the way the Sixers, Nets, and some others include the location, I don't think that's the case.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived