capn89's NHL (03/27/2015 - Flames Stuffffff)

capn89

Ducks:

I'm torn between 3 and 4. Both are really nice sets, and while I like the design of 3 a bit more, I like the colours of 4 better. My one suggestion for 3 would be to use the Ducks' font (like 1 used) and not a block font.

Pens:

Awesome job! I like the primaries on the first set (I think white numbers are better on the black jersey because gold on black is too Bruins), but I love the alt on the second set. Normally, I'd think a fauxback jersey with black gold/would look bad, but this one really pulls it off.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to say I prefer the second Ducks' set, it just pops a little more to me. I'm not a fan of the Disney Ducks look, personally. Also, I'm glad to see you put the Pens back in their correct colors. I like the second set for them, but I would take the first set's alternate to the one in the second set. Again, great work! Maybe a Red Wings re-design (if you dare) is in the works?

ayr02r.gif

I don't think, because thinking implies uncertainty. Therefore, I KNOW.

the first ducks set is awesome, but you forgot to include yellow and silver in the design. also, can you try and incorparate the old striping they had? another note, i agree with BigBubba.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Ducks:

I'm torn between 3 and 4. Both are really nice sets, and while I like the design of 3 a bit more, I like the colours of 4 better. My one suggestion for 3 would be to use the Ducks' font (like 1 used) and not a block font.

Pens:

Awesome job! I like the primaries on the first set (I think white numbers are better on the black jersey because gold on black is too Bruins), but I love the alt on the second set. Normally, I'd think a fauxback jersey with black gold/would look bad, but this one really pulls it off.

Well the font I used for set three was meant to be similar to the old, blocky font from the Mighty Ducks era, but I will give the current font a go and post it later on at some point just for the sake of seeing different options. I think you're right about the pen's yellow numbers looking too Bruins-y. I will definitely change that up in the future. Thanks for all your thoughts. :)

I would have to say I prefer the second Ducks' set, it just pops a little more to me. I'm not a fan of the Disney Ducks look, personally. Also, I'm glad to see you put the Pens back in their correct colors. I like the second set for them, but I would take the first set's alternate to the one in the second set. Again, great work! Maybe a Red Wings re-design (if you dare) is in the works?

Thanks for your comments. There will, eventually, be a Red Wings set coming, as I plan to do all the teams, just not sure when.

the first ducks set is awesome, but you forgot to include yellow and silver in the design. also, can you try and incorparate the old striping they had? another note, i agree with BigBubba.

I purposely didn't include yellow or silver with the Ducks' "mighty" looks just to simplify things a bit. I could try to do the old striping design, but the main idea behind all the uniforms is for something different. I wouldn't really see the point in recreating something that already existed unless I was altering it some how to make it different. Thanks for your comments.

Really dig the green/orange Ducks concept.

Thank you, I appreciate the comment.

Boston Bruins

Home & Away: The base jerseys for the Bruins are "similar" yet different when compared to their current threads. For starters; the main spoked-"B" crest is more gold than what they currently use. The sleeve striping, along with the white/gold being reversed, is changed up a bit. The previously-white center stripe is now wider and gold while the accompanying stripes of black/white are thinner. The yoke now features an extra stripe bordering it to mimic the sleeve design and the lower torso stripes have been altered and lowered all the way to the hem of the jersey. Also gone are the gold socks on the home uniform. It's a look, although steeped in the Bruins' history, I never liked. As well, the white jersey more prominently features gold as opposed to black as seen on their current jersey.

Alternate: With the alternate jersey I took the design of the current Bruins home socks and used that to create an overall consistent look for a gold third jersey.

7093890351_cde229e264_b.jpg

Washington Capitals

Home & Away: I wanted to go with something clean and classic for the Caps' base jerseys. The pants pay homage to their original style, though with a bolder, cleaner look. Also note, on the cuffs there is a subtle stitching of stars.

Alternate: As for the alternate, I went with a blue-heavy design with modern striping to play off the style of the "w-eagle." The name/numbers are more curvy and flowing to mesh with the uniforms overall look.

7093889787_5e69149286_b.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well, it's only been 5 months but hey, at least I finally updated.

Home & Away: For the primary jerseys I decided to play off the design of the original Sabres white uniforms. I never liked how the blue uniforms only featured white as a trim around the numbers yet the design was (mostly) well-done on the whites. The issues I always had with the white uniforms was the inconsistent striping on the sleeves and hem (blue/yellow/blue on the sleeves and yellow/blue/yellow on the hem). I've basically tweaked that design, making those elements congruent, and created a blue version to go with the white. The sock stripes match those on the jerseys, as well as the pants. The idea to keep the striping the same while simply switching the base color from white to blue, rather than just inverting white/blue was to keep a consistency with the logo itself which, from outer stripe to inner, goes yellow/white/blue, the same as the stripes on both uniforms. The logo itself is also a modern version of the classic crossed-sabres, buffalo, roundel.

Alternate: This jersey features the retro-styled "Buffalo" script on the front of the jersey which was first introduced on the Sabres alternate jersey in 2012. I've switched the colors a bit and removed the classic crossed-sabres roundel that you'd typically find where I placed the player's number. The design is meant to also pay tribute to the Sabres original identity while putting a new, distinct spin on the design. I also have a couple yellow versions of this design somewhat laid out that, at some point in the future, I plan to share.

8107229511_e85d59bd27_b.jpg

The Capitals set looks sharp. Nice simplification of the current look.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. :)

Both sets look good, specifically the Caps (that's how they should've modernized their old look; not by filling in the Edge template).

Thanks for the comment.

Panthers: This one is probably the weakest of all your concepts in this thread. It really screams Atlanta to me. None of the post edge thrashers looks looked good. I would try a different template or striping pattern all together.

Sharks: This set is a thing of beauty. Eliminating the orange and going with silver is a big plus.

Lightning: I like the overall look but i would suggest adding black to it.i know people don't like adding BFBS but in this case i can't help to seem that black would improve this. as for the alternate, when you said you was going to go a bit crazy, i was hoping for a return to the mid 90's storm alts or at least a nod to them.

Flyers: Nice update on the current set. like others have said the alternate logo could use some work.

Ducks: Of the concepts, i like the green/orange/gold one. The color scheme alone gives them a unique look while not going retro with the disney era or the pseudo stars knock off of black/gold/orange look.

Penguins: The gold alt definitely should be the basis of their primary set. but that maybe because everytime i see the skating penguin i associate it with that template the penguins used in the 80s and early 90s.

Bruins: Not much to say, you improved on what was already a top 3 look in the league.

Capitals: my only real suggestion is to add a white yolk on the home jersey.

Sabres: simplifying the color scheme was a huge step in the right direction. Granted what the sabres did was good post buffaslug but you improved on the areas where i felt the uniforms needed improving upon.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Not a huge fan of the Sabres original look but this is a very nice modernization. I particularly like how the blue jersey now features white prominently in it's striping. The alternate is a refreshing change of pace that works well. Top notch work as usual.

Panthers: This one is probably the weakest of all your concepts in this thread. It really screams Atlanta to me. None of the post edge thrashers looks looked good. I would try a different template or striping pattern all together.

Sharks: This set is a thing of beauty. Eliminating the orange and going with silver is a big plus.

Lightning: I like the overall look but i would suggest adding black to it.i know people don't like adding BFBS but in this case i can't help to seem that black would improve this. as for the alternate, when you said you was going to go a bit crazy, i was hoping for a return to the mid 90's storm alts or at least a nod to them.

Flyers: Nice update on the current set. like others have said the alternate logo could use some work.

Ducks: Of the concepts, i like the green/orange/gold one. The color scheme alone gives them a unique look while not going retro with the disney era or the pseudo stars knock off of black/gold/orange look.

Penguins: The gold alt definitely should be the basis of their primary set. but that maybe because everytime i see the skating penguin i associate it with that template the penguins used in the 80s and early 90s.

Bruins: Not much to say, you improved on what was already a top 3 look in the league.

Capitals: my only real suggestion is to add a white yolk on the home jersey.

Sabres: simplifying the color scheme was a huge step in the right direction. Granted what the sabres did was good post buffaslug but you improved on the areas where i felt the uniforms needed improving upon.

Hey, thanks for the long reply, I really appreciate it. As for the Panthers set, it's odd for me that I like the look so much but they're the set that has gotten the least positive feedback, which is good though. Just means I will go back and readdress my ideas for them the next time I work on the Panthers. Thanks for all of the other suggestions, as well. I will definitely keep them in mind. :)

Not a huge fan of the Sabres original look but this is a very nice modernization. I particularly like how the blue jersey now features white prominently in it's striping. The alternate is a refreshing change of pace that works well. Top notch work as usual.

Thank you very much.

I love the Sabres set but I'm not huge on the white yoke on the alternate.

Also, I love all these sets you've done. Very clean and I love how you describe all your work.

Thanks for your thoughts. I tried a few different colorings of the alternate. One, as you see it, another where the white and gold are swapped for each other. In its own ways it was awesome, but something really seemed off with the numbering/lettering on the back. I wanted to go white name/gold numbers no matter what, and having the gold yoke just seemed like too much gold (with the numbers). Third/fourth/fifth/etc I did gold versions of the design, as well. Some might find them gaudy, but as a fan of bright uniforms I loved them, just trying to decide which ones to layout to share in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Ducks: I'm actually in love with set 1, as well as the simplified mask/sticks crest.

Pens: Between the full sets, the gold-heavy set gets my nod. Far as individual jerseys go, however, my favorite is the gold alt from the first set, though the other alt aint no slouch.

Caps: the hidden stars on the cuffs are a nice ass touch to an otherwise traditional looking home/away set. The alt looks damn sharp and as you intended, very much looks as if it were designed with the Weagle in mind.Bru

Bruins: heh, this might just be me being rather familiar with your work combined with my own tendency to rehash/tweak a winner about a year or so later. But hey, when the shoes fit, wear em out like old Chucks. The inspiration behind the third reminds me of what Arsenal did this year, the striping they got on their cuffs this year was on their socks back in the 30s or 40s, I forget which decade.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 7 months later...

A couples new ones. Columbus is from a while ago just never posted it here and the Islanders I finished up last night.

Home & Away: Going through my past designs for the Blue Jackets I found little desire to try to modernize the one basic look I ever had for them. It was dated, weak and not really a direction I wanted to go. I decided, instead, to build on a touch of the Blue Jackets' past as well as big chunk of their current look. I basically took the design of their current home and away jerseys and added a hem stripe that plays off of the design of the shoulder striping to give the jersey a more complete feel. As well I took their inaugural "CBJ" logo, recolored it and put it on the shoulders. The logo also acts as the primary crest on the alternate jersey. To pay homage to Columbus', albeit limited, past, the shoulder and hem stripes (the blue, particularly) use a faint pattern of two different shades of blue stripes running throughout them. The original Blue Jackets jerseys (both the home and away) featured this effect. I also eliminated the red hockey pants. I've never liked the look in any of the iterations of the franchise's uniforms and I tried it with mine and felt blue was more aesthetically pleasing. Finally, the Blue Jackets NOB font stays the same but the numerals have been switched. The current Blue Jackets number font is one of the more loathed fonts in the NHL.

Alternate: For the alternate, I REALLY wanted to present the jersey you see in the final set as a primarily red uniform, but for a team called the BLUE Jackets I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I have, however, mocked it up in my own files and will, in the future, share it.

8429797005_f8855da54c_b.jpg

Home & Away: The primary jerseys are a previous design of mine that I'd made for the Islanders but with this latest incarnation I changed up the hem striping a bit so that it actually connects all the way around instead of, as before, it getting cut off by side panels. The primary logo is the same, just some of the outer rings swapped colors. The shoulder patch is a cleaned up and altered version of the lighthouse logo from the fisherman jersey era. Have a look:

9064545978_4a30fe1459_o.png

Alternate: For the alternate I was originally going to slap the touched-up lighthouse logo on there but decided I wanted to try my hand at actually creating something different and unique for an alternate jersey. I've seen similar logos to what I came up with around the internet but basically it is a stylized boat anchor that turns into a lighthouse with "NY" on either side of it and, if you will, the lighthouse acting as an "I" for Islanders. The bottom of the anchor is also meant to mimic a ship cutting through the water. Here's the logo:

9062315869_aa1853ff7c_o.png

9064628990_ba682fed90_o.png

Ducks: I'm actually in love with set 1, as well as the simplified mask/sticks crest.

Pens: Between the full sets, the gold-heavy set gets my nod. Far as individual jerseys go, however, my favorite is the gold alt from the first set, though the other alt aint no slouch.

Caps: the hidden stars on the cuffs are a nice ass touch to an otherwise traditional looking home/away set. The alt looks damn sharp and as you intended, very much looks as if it were designed with the Weagle in mind.Bru

Bruins: heh, this might just be me being rather familiar with your work combined with my own tendency to rehash/tweak a winner about a year or so later. But hey, when the shoes fit, wear em out like old Chucks. The inspiration behind the third reminds me of what Arsenal did this year, the striping they got on their cuffs this year was on their socks back in the 30s or 40s, I forget which decade.

I appreciate the long reply and comments. To touch back on the Penguins sets, now that I look at it, it would probably make more sense to have the gold jersey with the gold-heavy set and the other alt with the white-heavy set. I definitely agree that I like the gold alt better.

Hi capn...Is this series back on?

I hope so.

Yeah, it's always on, I've just been hampered by one thing or another that has been eating up my time. Currently I am in my 5th week of recovering from reconstructive surgery on my ACL. You'd think that would give me more time but with therapy and constantly having to move and stretch and exercise I don't have time to sit for extended periods. In fact it gets more painful when I don't move. Nevertheless I hit it in spurts and don't really have any plans to cease, there are just going to be bigger gaps between presentations. Life can be such a bitch. Thanks for your interest. I know it probably sounds lame but it is nice knowing there are people who enjoy seeing new sets, even if it is such a simple thing. If only we all could be more vocal about the things that bring us joy that others do rather than always harping on what pisses us off. I am just as guilty as anyone. Ok, pain meds talking, I am out.

Archived