Why Haven't...

the_fan

Two prior ownership groups that were unwilling to operate a full-scale professional baseball organization, and a current one that can't afford to. They've had heartbreaking luck the few times they've come close, but when you invest in bona fide scouting and instruction, you have a team that puts itself in the conversation so often that the bad-luck years aren't just your best outliers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Cubs front office had made some dreadful moves (i.e. Milton Bradley, and Kevin Gregg) over the past few years, and it kills me every single time they do something stupid. They've been able to build really good teams, but haven't built that one great team to push them to the promised land. 2006 was supposed to have been that year, but yet here we are 103 seasons removed from a World Series championship.

Maybe things will change now under Epstein (I'm not convinced they will), but they've never been able to build a baseball organization from the ground up. Much like the Cubs, the Atlanta Braves were purchased to exist as cheap programming filler for a TV station, yet unlike the Cubs, the Braves were allowed to conscientiously build a comprehensive operation by the blueprint of the 1960s/1970s Baltimore Orioles, where everyone is taught the same way and the right way from day one, so that personnel are always ready to move up to the major league level and contribute virtually seamlessly. This has never much interested the Cubs, because this takes time and hard work to do right. Even the so-called architect of the Minnesota Twins fell victim to this weird mentality, talking about "being competitive within in the division," always being good enough to make a run if everything breaks right and everyone else breaks wrong. I mean, even truly awful teams of recent vintage weren't even works in progress: they lost 96 games in 2006 with a fairly decent team minus an injured Derrek Lee. There's just no patience.

The Cubs front office had made some dreadful moves (i.e. Milton Bradley, and Kevin Gregg) over the past few years, and it kills me every single time they do something stupid. They've been able to build really good teams, but haven't built that one great team to push them to the promised land. 2006 was supposed to have been that year, but yet here we are 103 seasons removed from a World Series championship.

Don't you mean 2008? Because the 2006 Cubs were quite dreadful.

Don't you mean 2008? Because the 2006 Cubs were quite dreadful.

I did in fact mean 2008.

Henry Rowengartner.

The Cubs won the WS at the end of Rookie of the Year.

Now for the real reason: they're waiting to beat Miami in 2015...*gets handed note*...oh...forget it.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

James Loney.

That Game 1 was eerie. First of all, first pitch wasn't till like 8:45 Central to accommodate west coast television audiences, which I'm pretty sure is the opposite of home field advantage. :censored:in' hospitality house bull :censored:. The whole park was oddly quiet from the outset; I don't know if they were discombobulated from the weird time or if they priced out the louder types or if they just knew the other shoe was about to drop. Whatever the reason, it was ominous and weird and crappy.

James Loney.

it was ominous and weird and crappy.

No it wasn't. It was awesome. Especially coming from a family of all Cub fans but myself, I had no complaints.

B)

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Because the Cubs have classically sucked. Bad teams are just that, bad teams and the Cubs traditionally have been a bad team. That's like asking why the Clippers haven't won an NBA Championship.

Archived