Just saw this over on Puck Drawn

WNDUP FX

Potential plagiarism   

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know Fraser is pretty revered around these parts, but after reading the post and looking at both logos the poster Calvin has some pretty good points.

Do you think there's enough changed to the second logo to set it apart from the original Tiger Cats logo?

Fraser's Columbus Black Bears logo:

6941097067_9519c5fd25_b.jpg

Hamilton Tiger Cats Alternate logo:

2329.gif

The comments on Puck Drawn are here for anyone wishing to follow the discussion:

http://www.puckdrawn.com/puckdrawn/2012/02/columbus-re-brands-set-4.html#comments

Edit: Moderators, this probably should've gone in the concept section, feel free to move it.

Hell no. Had I done a front facing bear, panther or tiger it would have come out looking similar too. Hell I've done it. I did a bulldog logo for a high school, and it ended up looking very similar to an alternate Georgia logo. I had never seen the logo before but they ended up similar enough even in line weight and everything.

And actually few if any of Calvin's points are valid. He says the tongue shape, both are different. He says the teeth, both are different. The interior lines are somewhat similar but that could be easily a coincidence and same with the overall shape.

Not everything is plagiarism folks. Sometimes coincidences do happen.

Plus the biggest thing: Why? He's done hundreds of logos so far without a hint of plagiarism and then he's going to do it for a online contest?

Wow. I am actually sad that there are 2 'yes' votes. Like pcgd said, it happens sometimes. johnny's post with all the links kind of proves this point.

Perfect example: BrandMooreArt posted this the other day, and it's also similar:

love_gun.jpg

Can't wait to hear FD's response to this.

Fraser's logo (as well as the Ticats) is of an extremely popular perspective done in an extremely popular style, they're bound to look somewhat similar. That's where the similarities end though. As pcgd said Calvin's points aren't valid at all, and really all I think Calvin did was make an ass out of himself.

Generic logos are generic. Basic shadowing on a typical perspective tends to all look the same if it involves fur. Chances are excellent that the Black Bears designer used an FD tutorial to make that logo anyway.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I tried to do a wildcat logo and it came out jsut like the tiger cats. That whole layout of the logo is just very natural and easy to come up with. if you sit down with a front view of a snarling animal, odds are your lines are going to come out like that. It is just natural from that perspective.

I'm just wondering why the guy is wearing gloves while hoisting the cup...

...or how he got his pants over those shin guards!!

A funny story...

When I was a young whipper-snapper, I'd laugh at the "old fools" puttin' on their shin pads and skates first, and THEN pulling on their hockey pants.

They'd have to slit the pant legs to be able to get them over their skates.

I would just laugh to myself and shake my head as I geared up.

Now that I'm an "old fool", I do the same thing:

I put on my skates and shin guards first and then pull my slitted pants over them.

When you've got a bit of a gut, and you've got your hockey pants on...

You can't reach your skates to do them up!!

Ha-ha.

Lord knows I'm not the biggest FD fan, but not everything that's similar is plagiarism.

This sums the thread up perfectly. Sports logos have a unique look and this type of shading is more and more popular.

there are only so many ways you can draw a growling bear, cat, etc etc.

As designers and even humans we are influenced by things we see and hear and they reflect on our work, even if we don't realise it at the time.

All designs in this thread are unique but draw on similar styles.

logo.png

Archived