Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One way or another Bettman has to go, this sport needs a hockey guy as commissioner who wil ltel Jacobs to stick it.

At this point Jeremy Jacobs is technically a hockey guy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What I think is really hurting the process is that the PA is represented by a whole bunch of voices, Trevor Linden was amazing in getting that deal done in 2005. They need that one player, everyone believes in and trusts to get this ship righted. Jonathan Toews, Jarome Iginla, even Sid. Any of them would do a great job.

Also, I hope Murray Edwards learned a ton from Harley Hotchkiss, him forging a relationship with Linden really was one of the key's in the last lockout ending. Maybe Edwards can be the anti Jacobs in this meeting, only two that have been present at every meeting.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I read an article about the Calgary Hitment teddy bear toss (over 21K collected this year)...

This yahoo comment had me laughing out loud:

The bad thing is that the players and the owners disagree on how to divide up the teddy bears. The owners want to keep 50% of the teddy bears for themselves while also wanting the players to give up 12% of their share and give them back to the owners. The players want to keep all the teddy bears for themselves since they were the ones responsible for scoring the goal that made the fans throw the teddy bears. In the end ALL the teddy bears were put into an extra large locker and will not be given to the children because the owners and players can't agree. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

One way or another Bettman has to go, this sport needs a hockey guy as commissioner who wil ltel Jacobs to stick it.

Gary Bettman (or anyone else) to Jeremy Jacobs: stick it

Jeremy Jacobs: lol you're fired

So Jeremy Jacobs alone has the power to hire and fire the NHL Commissioner now?

Gary Bettman (or anyone else) to Jeremy Jacobs: stick it

Jeremy Jacobs: lol you're fired

So Jeremy Jacobs alone has the power to hire and fire the NHL Commissioner now?

Why not? This is the NHL, after all.

Can we get a fund going to pay for an arbitrator?

They've had the option of arbitration for quite some time now and have shown no interest in it. Why would we pay for something they won't use?

Because I've lost all hope and I'm beyond desperation.

This is where you leave the abusive partner in the relationship. Might I suggest the AHL or ECHL from now on. Or better yet just give up on hockey until the NHL collapses. Because they'll continue to do this :censored: going forward.

For some people this isn't so easy. The closest AHL team to Pittsburgh is in Cleveland of all places, and the closest ECHL team is in Wheeling, which is still at least an hour away (which isn't too bad to do on occasion, but I digress). There is no coverage whatsoever of either of those teams, or RMU, the highest-level college team in the area. But they wouldn't even be worthy of lacing the skates of other schools in Michigan, or Wisconsin, or Boston. So it's essentially the Penguins or nothing when it comes to real hockey around here.

oBIgzrL.png

If Jeremy Jacobs can hardline for this lockout as president of the BOG he can absolutely get enough other owners together to replace Bettman with someone else.

Of course. I was able to infer that. My point is that it's an a**-backward system to begin with. No offence to the Boston Bruins or their fans, who have had to put up with this jackhole longer then the rest of us, but in no sane universe should the owner of the Boston Bruins wield this much power in the NHL.

The Maple Leafs, Canadiens, and Rangers are the most valuable teams in the league. The collection of Canadian franchises makes up for a disproportionate amount of league revenue. The owner of the Winnipeg Jets has ties to most Canadian media outlets and every major financial institution in English Canada, and could probably get a seat in the British House of Lords if he wanted it.

Yes, the Bruins are one of the NHL's money makers. Yes Jacobs himself has connections. Still though, his influence, and hence power, is grossly disproportionate. That he could marshal the votes needed to decide who is and isn't NHL commissioner in the first place is downright idiotic, and perhaps symbolic of why we're in this mess in the first place.

I guess it is worth noting that Jacobs has managed to keep a steady hand on the Bruins for all these years while so many other owners have gone down in flames. For instance, who even owns the Nashville Predators anymore? Boots went to federal prison, then the next guy had a huge lien slapped on him so he was made to disappear, all wikipedia said last time I checked was a red link to "Predators LLC" or "Amalgamated Welfare Queens" or something.

Of course, fiscal responsibility is easy when you own NESN!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, no.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

WBZ Boston Sports@wbzsports

WBZ's Steve Burton reports that a deal to save the #nhl season could be announced tomorrow or Wednesday - @JoeGiza

Sounds like somebody caved in, and I'm guessing it was the players.

You'd have to think that this is going to be another band-aid for a few seasons before another inevitable lockout.

edit: or is this guy just full of :censored: ?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Just happened upon this story, which completely ignores the lockout and also leads with "temperatures are dropping as anticipation rises for hockey in the Sunshine State" or some such. It was 70 in Chicago today. I had to check the article's date twice. It's like they had their previews written and decided they might as well put them out there with the season in doubt. I can't image the buzz in Florida is just chugging right along... but it's something to read while you wait to see if the latest lockout rumors are true.

Panthers-Lightning rivalry becomes relevant

http://thehockeywriters.com/thunder-cats-ho-the-battle-for-the-sunshine-state-becomes-relevant/

Archived