Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Very few athletes go out while they are still playing at the highest level. In my opinion, Nick Lidstrom was the best pure defenseman of all-time. He may not have had the scoring touch or physicality that Bobby Orr had, but his defensive skills and timing were unbelievable.

The only question is how soon will the #5 banner hang from the rafters at the Joe.

Couldn't have said it better, myself. Without question one of the classiest guys in the league, and one of the best defensemen of all time. Gonna be weird to see the Wings without him? hasn't happened since I was 2 or 3.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's just like how Jerry Sloan was never coach of the year. How the hell indeed.

Lidstrom was still a very good defenseman this year, but he had lost a step, I think we can agree.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, it's just like how Jerry Sloan was never coach of the year. How the hell indeed.

Lidstrom was still a very good defenseman this year, but he had lost a step, I think we can agree.

Definitely. Good to see him going out at the top, though. I mean, better than forcing the issue. Smart man.

And NEW.ERA: not any bench. Probably the Wings' bench ;) Just like Oz.

Some news on the coaching front.

Not confirmed, but looks like Bob Hartley is heading to Montreal. Link.

Also, anything but a sure thing, but there is a chance Rangers assistant Mike Sullivan could be a head coach sooner rather than later, in Calgary possibly? The signs all point there do to his past in the city and with Jay Feaster, and John Tortorella has given his blessing. "He should be a head coach, no way I'd stand in front of him." Link.

As well, I still fully believe that Brent Sutter is going to give Edmonton a look.

Everytime I hear the name Bob Hartley I cant help but hear the theme from the old Bob Newhart Show.

his only claim to fame was taking an allstar team to the cup. he failed badly in atlanta, and i have no idea WTF he's been doing since.

Won a championship in the Swiss Elite League. I'm just glad he's not coming to Calgary.

lol

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Some news on the coaching front.

Not confirmed, but looks like Bob Hartley is heading to Montreal. Link.

Also, anything but a sure thing, but there is a chance Rangers assistant Mike Sullivan could be a head coach sooner rather than later, in Calgary possibly? The signs all point there do to his past in the city and with Jay Feaster, and John Tortorella has given his blessing. "He should be a head coach, no way I'd stand in front of him." Link.

As well, I still fully believe that Brent Sutter is going to give Edmonton a look.

Everytime I hear the name Bob Hartley I cant help but hear the theme from the old Bob Newhart Show.

his only claim to fame was taking an allstar team to the cup. he failed badly in atlanta, and i have no idea WTF he's been doing since.

Won a championship in the Swiss Elite League. I'm just glad he's not coming to Calgary.

lol

What can I say. The dude is like best friends with Jay Feaster.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I always hated Niklas Lidstrom because he was the best player on the Red Wings, but damn did I ever respect the hell out of him. A perfect and well-rounded defenseman. Never played too far out of his zone. Not over aggressive. Not too passive. Right where he always needed to be. Great career. Certainly will be a Hall of Famer and have his number up in the Joe.

(And heck, without Lidstrom, Scott Niedermayer's shot in dying seconds Game 5 of the 2007 Western Final doesn't deflect and flutter over Hasek's shoulder to tie the game and allow Teemu Selanne to score the OT winner that practically gave the Ducks the West and an easy march to the Stanley Cup through Ottawa. Thanks Nick! :lol: )

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The "games played" is a telling statistic. Give me Orr. However, that is no disrespect to ol' Liddy.

That graphic seemed to omit that Orr was a 3 time NHL MVP a 2 time league scoring leader, a 2 time Playoff MVP, a Rookie of the Year Winner plus a record 8 Norris trophies for being the best defenseman in the NHL all while essentially retiring at 28 years old then only played 30 games over the last 3 yrs of his career because of 12 knee operations. For my money Bobby Orr is the greatest defenseman ever and probably the 2nd best NHLer ever. Lidstrom is definately an all time great and a first ballot Hall of Famer, but not better than Orr. I would say that Lidstrom is in the top 5 defensemen of all time.

With Orr being number one you have a strong group that could be listed 2-5

Shore

Harvey

Potvin

Robinson

Bourque

Coffey

Niedermayer

Pronger

Macinnis

Leetch

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

It all depends on what you're looking for in a defenceman, really. One could argue that Orr was the greatest offensive defenceman ever, while Lidstrom may be the best defensive defenceman ever. I know there aren't that many defensive statistics kept (plus/minus and maybe blocked shots) but I'd like to see those included in a comparison between the two.

It all depends on what you're looking for in a defenceman, really. One could argue that Orr was the greatest offensive defenceman ever, while Lidstrom may be the best defensive defenceman ever. I know there aren't that many defensive statistics kept (plus/minus and maybe blocked shots) but I'd like to see those included in a comparison between the two.

Orr +597

Lidstrom +450

Robinson has the record with +730

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Shore

Harvey

Potvin

Robinson

Bourque

Coffey

Niedermayer

Pronger

Macinnis

Leetch

There aren't three players on that list better than Nicklas Lidstrom, dude. Scott Niedermayer? Al MacInnis? Come on.

Shore

Harvey

Potvin

Robinson

Bourque

Coffey

Niedermayer

Pronger

Macinnis

Leetch

There aren't three players on that list better than Nicklas Lidstrom, dude. Scott Niedermayer? Al MacInnis? Come on.

I didn't list those players as better than Lidstrom, I listed those as Defencemen that all had a case to be named in the top 5.

Honestly I think a legit case can be made for Bourque, Robinson and Potivn and even possibly Harvey as better or equal to Lidstrom.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

You said Orr was the best and Lidstrom was "top 5." If he were higher than fifth in your mind, you'd have said so: top three, top four. I hate the Red Wings, but I'm not going to find myself on the "no" side of "is Lidstrom the best defenseman who isn't Bobby Orr," because, well.

Orr +597

Lidstrom +450

Robinson has the record with +730

No offense, but wouldn't all that offense Bobby Orr put up in his career just skyrocket that +/- through the roof? With Lidstrom playing 910 more games than Orr, I'm surprised that the +/- differential isn't greater... That means out of 55,000 minutes of game time, Lidstrom allowed only 147 more goals while on the ice.

I said it before, but Nick Lidstrom was the greatest pure defenseman that ever played (meaning from a defensive skills-only standpoint). Bobby Orr was the best defenseman of all time, but much of that comes from the offensive side of things factored in.

Archived