Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

I sense a big trade coming. Edmonton needs a stud defenseman to lead their defence. Yakupov is nice but he isn't what they need. They should trade up and add a couple veterans and extra draft picks. There are a bunch of solid Dmen they could grab in the top 10 that they could then grab. It's too bad their rivals with the Flames because that would be a good partner for them.

So let me get this straight...

Edmonton: Picks Ryan Murray 1st overall because they need a top-notch defenceman.

Columbus: Picks Felip Forsberg 2nd overall because the Blue Jackets don't like russians.

So the Habs still have a chance????

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't pass up on Yakupov even if he is Russian, it's just the Oilers don't need him.

Also tweet of gold from former BJ's GM Doug Maclean, and Sportsnet analyst.

"Oh no... I'm sure I will get blamed for cbj losing the lottery."

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well given the Oilers history in obtaining great defensemen (Pronger, Souray), I see no reason that this wouldn't backfire on them almost immediately were it to happen.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Pronger would've been a fine acquisition if he could've kept his dick out of the weathergirl. You can't really hold that part against him (though apparently he can hold his part against others). Who expects a wife to demand a trade because her husband is shtupping the TV talent in Edmonton.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oiler's Depth Chart

Come on folks, you're telling me they can't use Yakupov in that top six? Smyth is 36, Horcoff is 33. They may not be around by the time this team is good.

Everyone could use him. It's just that Edmonton should be adding on their back end before adding another elite young forward. Hall can't stay healthy two years in, RNH needs to put on some muscle, and Eberle is going to be a dominant forward for years to come. Now if Paajarvi, Petrell, Omark can come around. They'll have plenty of good talent.

Which could be scary. Outside of Petry on the blue line not a lot of great pieces to play with a healthy Ryan Whitney and Nick Schultz.

Well :censored:.

The Blue Jackets have made a lot of missteps in their time in the NHL. A lot of missteps. BUT, they've also had more misfortune than any other team in the league in that time span.

- lost the coin toss to Minnesota in 2000

- This pick, #2 overall, is the highest they've ever finished in the lottery. They had to trade up to take Rick Nash at #1.

- They've never moved up in the lottery, lost one spot 4 times, and stayed in the same position 5 times.

- and last night.

and that's just the bad bounces that have happened in the draft without mentioning the horrible draft decisions (Brule over Kopitar, Nikita Filatov over well anyone else)!

If the Blue Jackets have had a problem in their history, it's that they haven't been bad enough. They've consisently finished a few spots ahead of last place, picking anywhere from 4-8 on average. Everyone knows you can get good quickly with a couple tanked seasons and some number 1 picks (Pittsburgh, Chicago, soon to be Edmonton), but talent really drops off outside the top 2. So we just sat through this miserable season where we were out of it before November, thinking the whole time that at least we'd get this generational talent like Yakupov. Finally they were bad enough to warrant a number one pick and they didn't get the number one pick. Once again the NHL is a cruel mistress.

Now they have a decision to make at number 2. I guarantee you in 5 years, we'll know it was the wrong one.

So, now when I come on here and read fans of playoff teams complaining about mediocre swoons a year or two after you've won it all, you understand why that's just a little bit irksome?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm not too informed regarding the Columbus Blue Jackets, but everything I've read on the draft says they don't want any Russians, no matter how good they are.

Why is that?

I think if the right russian is available they'd take him, but they've had some bad luck with Russians in the past. Nikita Filatov most recently and Nik Zherdev before that. I don't think anyone in the organization has ever come out and said "We're not drafting Russians anymore", though.

They would've taken Yakupov, and they'll probably take Mikhail Grigorenko.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm not too informed regarding the Columbus Blue Jackets, but everything I've read on the draft says they don't want any Russians, no matter how good they are.

Why is that?

I think if the right russian is available they'd take him, but they've had some bad luck with Russians in the past. Nikita Filatov most recently and Nik Zherdev before that. I don't think anyone in the organization has ever come out and said "We're not drafting Russians anymore", though.

They would've taken Yakupov, and they'll probably take Mikhail Grigorenko.

The Jackets should/will take Grigorenko. All that :censored:'s more tongue in cheek because both big time Russians the Jackets have drafted haven't panned out.

6fQjS3M.png

That so sad.

Here's maybe something a little more cheery. Columbus Blue Jacket season wrap up with highlights and 8-bit video game music, and graphic cards. The Shawn Hunwick one is the best.

As some have said before, the idea of the Blue Jackets passing up on Yak/Grigs because of the whole "Russian" thing is borderline xenophobic. If they did, their GM should be fired immediately, even if he just replaced Howson a week earlier.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

As some have said before, the idea of the Blue Jackets passing up on Yak/Grigs because of the whole "Russian" thing is borderline xenophobic. If they did, their GM should be fired immediately, even if he just replaced Howson a week earlier.

I get their a little gun shy picking Russians.

But I point out that both Zherdev and Filatov both played their entire lives in Russia before coming to North American with the Blue Jackets, didn't really to have time to adjust to playing in North American, not so much Zherdev because he put some solid seasons, although very inconsistent. Should have scored 40, not 26. Filatov was so young, and the Jackets maybe rushed him way too quickly.

With Yak and Grigs. They've played junior hockey in Canada for almost two years. They've had time to adjust to the North American way of life, and both should translate smoothly into the NHL.

I guess an argument could be made for Ovechkin and Malkin who never played in North American until the NHL, but those two are in a class of their own.

Edmonton doesn't take Yakupov...someone should lose their job...you don't pass on a kid like that no matter what kinda depth you have . Oh and does anyone see Columbus taking a guy like Filip Forsberg over Grigorenko due to him being a "safer" pick?

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Archived