Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Predict the Jackets win total for next season: Over/Under 30.

Also, I'm sure the Red Wings fans are happy that they didn't trade for Nash.

Under. We're not having a full season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for the purposes of discussion...

Am I alone in thinking that Super Mario was the only player in NHL history with more natural talent than Wayne Gretzky and, that with a reasonable measure of health on his side, would be regarded as the greater historical player in today's world?

And, by all means, if anyone thinks anyone else fits this category (obvious example being Bobby Orr), go ahead and say so.

spacer.png

Predict the Jackets win total for next season: Over/Under 30.

Also, I'm sure the Red Wings fans are happy that they didn't trade for Nash.

Under. We're not having a full season.

I'm putting them down at "0", but the good news is, that ties them for the league lead.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Am I alone in thinking that Super Mario was the only player in NHL history with more natural talent than Wayne Gretzky and, that with a reasonable measure of health on his side, would be regarded as the greater historical player in today's world?

And, by all means, if anyone thinks anyone else fits this category (obvious example being Bobby Orr), go ahead and say so.

Mario didn't even play 1000 games and look what he did. If he stayed healthy, I can pretty much say that he'd either finish just a few points back of Gretzky, or pass him altogether.

Gretz had averaged just about 2 points per game, Mario was at 1.8. So very close, also Lemieux would have played longer too.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Are you talking about raw talent or best ever?

At his peak, I would say Bobby Orr was probably the best. Lemieux was solid, but I would Gretzky above him in that category, and I would even argue a guy like Mike Bossy being as good if not better then Lemieux if were just talking about how good they were at their peak.

Best ever, I would tend to say Gretzky but Ray Bourque I actually think puts up a pretty solid argument that does not get talked about that much. I think its because he didn't play for many great teams, but Bourque himself was one of if not the best defensemen in the NHL year in and year out for close to two decades. He probably could have even played another three or four years easily at a high level if he wanted to.

I'm shocked as well. Based on what I've been reading here, it seems like they've essentially doomed their franchise in order to pay him.

I wonder if they could still work a trade though, since he's openly said that he wants to play in Phila and can't be too happy to return to Nashville, especially knowing that his contract will likely prevent them from bringing in any other top flight players.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Good for Nashville. Some Flyers fans were getting real obnoxious and arrogant recently. (Nobody on here)

Another good thing about this in my perspective, since Philly didn't get Weber, they might get a bit desperate to make a big move, and maybe, just maybe, they'll consider giving up Couturier and/or Schenn for Bobby Ryan.

FWIW, last year, TSN had a short special where they counted down the most skilled players of all-time. Lemieux was number one, so you're definitely not alone.

Mario didn't even play 1000 games and look what he did. If he stayed healthy, I can pretty much say that he'd either finish just a few points back of Gretzky, or pass him altogether.

Gretz had averaged just about 2 points per game, Mario was at 1.8. So very close, also Lemieux would have played longer too.

Even closer.

Gretzky: 1.92

Lemieux: 1.88 (Before he came out of retirement, it was 2.01)

When you consider that Gretzky:

• Played with far superior teams overall
  • Didn't battle cancer
  • Didn't have a bad back
  • Has a goals-per-game average much lower than Lemieux's (.601 to Lemieux's .754)

I personally think it's a no-brainer who was better.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I'm shocked as well. Based on what I've been reading here, it seems like they've essentially doomed their franchise in order to pay him.

I wonder if they could still work a trade though, since he's openly said that he wants to play in Phila and can't be too happy to return to Nashville, especially knowing that his contract will likely prevent them from bringing in any other top flight players.

He cant be traded until next year, part of the whole deal with matching the offer sheet.

Good for Nashville. I hope they keep him and build around him.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Good for Nashville. Some Flyers fans were getting real obnoxious and arrogant recently. (Nobody on here)

Another good thing about this in my perspective, since Philly didn't get Weber, they might get a bit desperate to make a big move, and maybe, just maybe, they'll consider giving up Couturier and/or Schenn for Bobby Ryan.

They are insanely high on both Couturier and Schenn. With the Flyers, very little shocks me, but I'd be genuinely shocked to see either one of them moved.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He cant be traded until next year, part of the whole deal with matching the offer sheet.

Good for Nashville. I hope they keep him and build around him.

+1

Losing both Weber and Suter for nothing in return would have really crippled them.

The damage to the trophy is appalling and disrespectful! I hope the team has to pay for the repairs.

:rolleyes: Come on, it's not like they purposely damaged the trophy. When a group of 16-20 year old hockey players are drinking and partying with it you've got to expect that accidents might happen. For most of the guys on the team winning the Memorial Cup will be the single greatest achievement in their entire lives. They earned the right to celebrate after a long season of hard work and determination. The Stanley Cup has been through worse on many occasions. Hell, the Rangers messed the Cup up so much after winning in '94 that the NHL made the rule that players must be supervised on their day with it. I'm sure that the team will pay for the damage.

The Stanley Cup has survived a rocket attack in Afghanistan. I think any damage to the Memorial Cup short of total destruction pales in comparison to what the Stanley Cup has gone through.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

So nobody else read that thing about how any team winning the Memorial Cup has to pay for a $50k insurance policy should they wish to keep it over the off-season, huh?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

FWIW, last year, TSN had a short special where they counted down the most skilled players of all-time. Lemieux was number one, so you're definitely not alone.

Even closer.

Gretzky: 1.92

Lemieux: 1.88 (Before he came out of retirement, it was 2.01)

When you consider that Gretzky:

• Played with far superior teams overall
  • Didn't battle cancer
  • Didn't have a bad back
  • Has a goals-per-game average much lower than Lemieux's (.601 to Lemieux's .754)

I personally think it's a no-brainer who was better.

Actually, Wayne Gretzky did have a bad back and missed half the season in '92-'93. Gretz did not play on far superior teams, go back and look at the talent on the Pittsburgh teams from the 90's on when Lemieux and Jagr were winning Cups. Those teams would've battled Edmonton to seven games easily with the talent that was on them. Truthfully, they were different players with different styles. Yes, Mario used his talent well, and that was his game, but to this day no one has ever thought the game better than Gretzky and I doubt any will in the future. I've heard of players who think a step ahead, but Gretz always thought two to three steps ahead and that is what made him the best.

Archived