Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The damage to the trophy is appalling and disrespectful! I hope the team has to pay for the repairs.

The caption for the photo says the team will pay for repairs and the article says that a team that wants the cup over the off-season has to take out insurance on it.

Also, trophies have been getting damaged for years.

The damage to the trophy is appalling and disrespectful! I hope the team has to pay for the repairs.

The caption for the photo says the team will pay for repairs and the article says that a team that wants the cup over the off-season has to take out insurance on it.

Also, trophies have been getting damaged for years.

I stand by the first part of my post; however, I should have provided a more informed response in the second part (translation: I should have read the caption).

Actually, Wayne Gretzky did have a bad back and missed half the season in '92-'93.

Gretz did not play on far superior teams, go back and look at the talent on the Pittsburgh teams from the 90's on when Lemieux and Jagr were winning Cups.

Those teams would've battled Edmonton to seven games easily with the talent that was on them.

Truthfully, they were different players with different styles. Yes, Mario used his talent well, and that was his game, but to this day no one has ever thought the game better than Gretzky and I doubt any will in the future. I've heard of players who think a step ahead, but Gretz always thought two to three steps ahead and that is what made him the best.

• You can't be suggesting that Gretzky's injury struggles were even remotely close to bordering those of Lemieux's, can you?
  • Sure, Lemieux had some great talent around him during the Cup years. Other than that, he played with few - if any - truly "great" teams. Gretzky had some great talent around him for a much greater portion of his career. The 80s Oilers were arguably the greatest dynasty in the history of the game.
  • No way in hell.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Actually, Wayne Gretzky did have a bad back and missed half the season in '92-'93.

Gretz did not play on far superior teams, go back and look at the talent on the Pittsburgh teams from the 90's on when Lemieux and Jagr were winning Cups.

Those teams would've battled Edmonton to seven games easily with the talent that was on them.

Truthfully, they were different players with different styles. Yes, Mario used his talent well, and that was his game, but to this day no one has ever thought the game better than Gretzky and I doubt any will in the future. I've heard of players who think a step ahead, but Gretz always thought two to three steps ahead and that is what made him the best.

• You can't be suggesting that Gretzky's injury struggles were even remotely close to bordering those of Lemieux's, can you?
  • Sure, Lemieux had some great talent around him during the Cup years. Other than that, he played with few - if any - truly "great" teams. Gretzky had some great talent around him for a much greater portion of his career. The 80s Oilers were arguably the greatest dynasty in the history of the game.
  • No way in hell.

Gretzky was better than Mario, but not by that much and for my money the Oilers of the 80s are the best team in the history of the NHL and its not even close. If not for a flukish loss to the Flames in 1986 and the trade of Gretzky its quite possible the could have won 6-8 cups in a row.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Good for Nashville. I hope they keep him and build around him.

Build around him with what revenue? Are we still playing along with the new big lie that the Predators are a license to print money? Ownership can't allow them to spend more than the midpoint, if that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• No way in hell.

Let's not forget that guys also took some liberties on Lemieux. Guys down right resorted to hitching onto and riding him at one point. That's why he had such a strong stance on the NHL cracking down on clutching and grabbing and once called it a "garage league". Nobody dared touch Wayne, though.

Also, half a season with a bad back is not the same as half a season with a bad back, a season due to cancer, some games with hip problems, some games with knee problems...

oBIgzrL.png

Semin to Carolina. 1 year, $7 million

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Semin to Carolina. 1 year, $7 million

No surprise here.

Would Alex Semin sign with Columbus?

No, he said he wanted to play for an NHL team.

Plus, there are rumors circulating that Carolina is interested in signing him, but only to a short-term deal.

From an article on Claude Giroux, more proof that Crosby is a piece of crap:

At a perhaps slightly exaggerated 5'11? and 172 lbs., he isn't the biggest guy in the world. He's not missing teeth à la Flyers legend Bobby Clarke and his face is yet to show any major battle scars that are pretty commonplace among professional hockey players.

That's not to say he doesn't have any though, as one look at his hands reveals a pair of nearly symmetrical scars.

?Those are from Crosby,? he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. ?Every time we'd line up against each other for a face-off during our series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he'd hack me across the wrists. I ended up playing the series against Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs.?

At a perhaps slightly exaggerated 5'11" and 172 lbs., he isn't the biggest guy in the world. He's not missing teeth à la Flyers legend Bobby Clarke and his face is yet to show any major battle scars that are pretty commonplace among professional hockey players.

That's not to say he doesn't have any though, as one look at his hands reveals a pair of nearly symmetrical scars.

"Those are from Crosby," he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. "Every time we'd line up against each other for a face-off during our series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he'd hack me across the wrists. I ended up playing the series against Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs."

He is a piece of crap, but not for that. You and I would both laugh if it was a Flyer doing that crap. A lot of the other stuff he does is embarrassing, but this is just being an agitator. How bad did we all hate Matt Barnaby, yet when he was available, we all wanted him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

At a perhaps slightly exaggerated 5'11" and 172 lbs., he isn't the biggest guy in the world. He's not missing teeth à la Flyers legend Bobby Clarke and his face is yet to show any major battle scars that are pretty commonplace among professional hockey players.

"Those are from Crosby," he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. "Every time we'd line up against each other for a face-off during our series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he'd hack me across the wrists. I ended up playing the series against Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs."

If Crosby said that about Giroux, you'd say that he's whining about it.

Hahah.

I remember late in the regular season seeing Crosby with one of those slashes, not once, but twice. It was unreal watching him not get penalized for it. Whether it was on Giroux, I can't possibly remember.

More Flyers/Penguins high-intensity hockey is good for the league. Here's to hoping for another playoff matchup next year*.

*here's to hoping there's a season...

spacer.png

• No way in hell.

Let's not forget that guys also took some liberties on Lemieux. Guys down right resorted to hitching onto and riding him at one point. That's why he had such a strong stance on the NHL cracking down on clutching and grabbing and once called it a "garage league". Nobody dared touch Wayne, though.

Also, half a season with a bad back is not the same as half a season with a bad back, a season due to cancer, some games with hip problems, some games with knee problems...

To say no one dared touch Wayne, is the biggest lie and joke in the world. Gretzky got run every friggin' night. Don't listen to the myths about how no one touched Wayne. Sure he had Marty as his enforcer like every team had an enforcer to protect their top notch players. What the hell do you think Troy Loney was even on the team for, because he smelled good? I never said that Wayne's back was worse than Mario's, I was replying to someone who said that Gretzky never had to deal with injuries. Oh and by the way if you don't believe Gretzky never got hit then read this:

About Wayne's back: The actual ailment is a herniated thoracic disk that radiates pain to his chest. The injury is most likely the result of his getting hit from behind for 14 seasons, a violence that has seemed to escalate against Gretzky in recent years. And though he had complained of rib pain after last season's playoffs, the cause went undiagnosed. Not until preseason camp, to which he reported in peak condition, did Gretzky experience the excruciating chest pain. Actually, he had no pain through three days of skating. Then he returned home to be with his wife, Janet Jones, as the birth of their third child neared. At home, in the middle of the night, the pain struck, forcing him to the hospital for a week. It was an alarming event all around. "We visited him in the hospital," recalls Granato, "and everyone became as scared as he was."

Doctors knew of no other athlete who had recovered from a herniated thoracic disk to play again. "We have no timetable for this program and will not speculate on a date for his return," said Dr. Robert Watkins, an orthopedic consultant.

Full story: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1137563/index.htm

Like the refs would allow anyone to slash Sid. It'd be 2 minutes the first time anyone touched him...

Like the refs would allow anyone to slash Sid. It'd be 2 minutes the first time anyone touched him...

Ummm...no.

At a perhaps slightly exaggerated 5'11? and 172 lbs., he isn't the biggest guy in the world. He's not missing teeth à la Flyers legend Bobby Clarke and his face is yet to show any major battle scars that are pretty commonplace among professional hockey players.

?Those are from Crosby,? he says half smiling, but with some tension in his voice. ?Every time we'd line up against each other for a face-off during our series, instead of going for the puck when it was dropped, he'd hack me across the wrists. I ended up playing the series against Jersey with one of them fractured and had to go for surgery on both of them after we were out of the playoffs.?

That's hockey... Bobby Clarke did the same s**t and worse back in the day...

Sooo... shut up...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Indeed Kinger.

Anyway I disagree with the notion that Mario Lemieux was more talented then Wayne Gretzky. They're both amazing talents. We likely won't see anyone close to their level in a long, long time. That being said, between the both of them, Gretzky has the edge, in my opinion. The way he saw the game unfold around and in front of him, the way he would see two to three steps ahead on every play was really special and puts him over Mario. That, and the fact that if Gretzky never scored a single goal he'd still have the all time points record on assists alone.

I'm not trying to disparage Lemieux. He just comes up a bit short of Gretzky when it comes to discussing the GOAT, in my opinion.

Indeed Kinger.

Anyway I disagree with the notion that Mario Lemieux was more talented then Wayne Gretzky. They're both amazing talents. We likely won't see anyone close to their level in a long, long time. That being said, between the both of them, Gretzky has the edge, in my opinion. The way he saw the game unfold around and in front of him, the way he would see two to three steps ahead on every play was really special and puts him over Mario. That, and the fact that if Gretzky never scored a single goal he'd still have the all time points record on assists alone.

I'm not trying to disparage Lemieux. He just comes up a bit short of Gretzky when it comes to discussing the GOAT, in my opinion.

That's also without the second assist for most of his career. That's one of those stats that blows my mind every time I hear it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Indeed Kinger.

That's also without the second assist for most of his career. That's one of those stats that blows my mind every time I hear it.

On top of all of that, its not like Gretzky barely broke all the scoring records... he completely obliterated them. He has roughly 1000 points more than the #2 leading scorer in NHL History. Thats like having a Hall of Fame career between #1 and #2. To put it in perspective if you took the #2 score in NHL history (Mark Messier with 1887) and added Bobby Orr's numbers to it (915) you would still have 55 less points than Gretzky 2857 compared to 2802.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived