Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

I'd have to think the variance calculations can't kick in on existing contracts or else all hell would break loose. But man oh man screw the Preds so hard for accepting a contract they knew they couldn't afford and then turning around and crying poor. I almost wish the rules would screw everyone over just to screw them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't understand about "capped" sports is how the players can bargain for 45% or 50% or whatever % of revenue, but then when that revenue dips, their contracts remain static, which punishes anyone else looking for a deal that off season. I think that the salaries should be variant in relation to the change in the cap, so a player may take up 15% of the cap, not necessarily make $10M. Wouldn't that be more fair to the players as a whole since if they grow the game and increase revenues, they're not bound by contracts they signed in a low capped year, and if there's a bad year, players looking for deals aren't punished by deals that other guys signed in good years?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Their contracts don't remain static. A portion of their salary is held in escrow through the season, and then partially refunded at the end of the season so that leaguewide payroll is equal to 57% (or 50% now) of hockey-related revenue. A player making $6 million a year is really making a percentage of a percentage. In some years of the CBA they made more than they were owed, in others less.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived