Ozzie Guillen

bucknut40

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buster Olney just tweeted that the Marlins have been searching for a new coach for a month. The timing of this makes me wonder whether they haven't already ID'd somebody from the Cardinals' staff.

I had kind of assumed Jose Oquendo's chance to manage in the Majors had passed him by, but he's easily the most qualified of any member of the Cardinals staff (even moreso than Matheny, lol), and he has the hispanic ties. He's from Puerto Rico and has been in St. Louis for a long, long time, though, so I'm not sure he has any personal ties to the region whatsoever. Then again, I'm not sure Ozzie did either.

I also know, though, that baseball doesn't like it's big stage upstaged by announcements, so getting this done after the LCS but prior to the WS may have been the actual motivating factor.

I know at one point it was reported the Marlins were looking at coaching candidates but weren't completely decided on whether or not to fire Ozzie.

Buster Olney just tweeted that the Marlins have been searching for a new coach for a month. The timing of this makes me wonder whether they haven't already ID'd somebody from the Cardinals' staff.

I had kind of assumed Jose Oquendo's chance to manage in the Majors had passed him by, but he's easily the most qualified of any member of the Cardinals staff (even moreso than Matheny, lol), and he has the hispanic ties. He's from Puerto Rico and has been in St. Louis for a long, long time, though, so I'm not sure he has any personal ties to the region whatsoever. Then again, I'm not sure Ozzie did either.

I also know, though, that baseball doesn't like it's big stage upstaged by announcements, so getting this done after the LCS but prior to the WS may have been the actual motivating factor.

I know at one point it was reported the Marlins were looking at coaching candidates but weren't completely decided on whether or not to fire Ozzie.

I really don't know why somebody hasn't given Oquendo a job yet myself. I could see if the guy just wanted to be a coach for life, but he's gotten a few interviews including the Cardinals job last year, which tells me he does have interest in becoming a manager. You would think at some point a team would say you what were going to take a chance on you. He might go to Miami, but that being said I would still have to agree with the notion that Brad Ausmus is the favorite to get that job. And I think Ausmus is someone with almost a blueprint pedigree for what I would look for in a rookie manager. Knows the game, played at the major league level, seems down to earth and very capable of handling different personality types. I think he is going to make a great manager for somebody.

As for Ozzie I'm not sure if he's managed his last game ever in the big leagues, but I will say its going to be a long time before somebody gives him another chance. At a minimum I would say at least three years, probably longer, until his name starts getting thrown around again, unless there is some owner or GM that wants Ozzie Guillen as their new manager and isn't really looking at anyone else. (As was the case with him getting hired in Miami) I doubt there's a team out there like that, but you never know.

The one silver lining in this I guess is its hard to accuse Jeffrey Loria of still being cheap. Paying Ozzie Guillen $7.5 million to not work.

Wouldn't able to do it without all that sweet taxpayer money. Accusation stands.

I just said it was harder. In terms of what people think I really don't care. Either way Loria's still a egotistical scumbag which I think trumps everything else. He's essentially Daniel Snyder with less money.

Some of Ozzie's quotes from this season:

"I love Fidel Castro"

"In my house we say [a gay slur] every 20 seconds. It's HOW you say it."

"I go to the hotel bar, get drunk, sleep. I get drunk because I'm happy we win or I get drunk because I'm very sad and disturbed because we lose."

“We bad team? Yes. We not play well? Of course we don’t. We stunk? Yes, we are. Am I bad manager? Yes, I’m a bad manager.”

He had it all and lost it. He had an owner who viewed him as a son, who probably would have kept him around at long as he was alive, but he blew it. He torpedoed the Sox' 2010 campaign with his decision-making, and in 2011 he very clearly quit on the team. He let his degenerate sons run wild on Twitter spilling team secrets, attacking the GM, others in the organization and reporters. He negotiated with the Marlins in 2010 and mailed it in all last season because he knew he would be in Miami in 2012. He created a terrible clubhouse atmosphere, threw certain guys under the bus regularly. He bitched about fundamentals, but did nothing to punish guys who made bad mental error or didn't run out hits. He bitched about guys playing for contracts, then publicly complained about not getting a new contract during a pennant race in 2010 and again when the team was circling the drain in 2011. Even despite all his faults, his public feud with the GM and the fact that he had more than worn out his welcome, the owner STILL didn't want to let him go, only doing so because Ozzie wanted to leave. He was a big shot, bigger than the team, everybody wanted him, etc. Well, 13 months later he has nothing (except a lot of money).

As I said before, this was likely his last MLB job. He is not worth the risk. He alienates everybody and is a PR nightmare. The only way I see him getting another job is 10 years down the road when a high-priced, underachieving team wants to make a big splash of a hire to get the players motivated. Well, we saw how well that worked in Boston this past year.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As I said before, this was likely his last MLB job. He is not worth the risk. He alienates everybody and is a PR nightmare. The only way I see him getting another job is 10 years down the road when a high-priced, underachieving team wants to make a big splash of a hire to get the players motivated. Well, we saw how well that worked in Boston this past year.

Ozzie Guillen: the Cubs' 2020 savior.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived