Ozzie Guillen

bucknut40

"I respect Fidel Castro," Guillén is quoted as saying in the online article. "You know why? Many people have tried to kill Fidel Castro in the last 60 years, yet that [sOB] is still there."

Really... that's what people are upset about?

Castro's no angel, but neither is our own government. Had he said it anywhere but in Miami it probably wouldn't have even made the local news.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When your brand-new sportspalace--and by extension, your team--is heavily subsidized by Miami-Dade County, the Cuban Americans within and represented by the local government are not going to be happy with you for using that taxpayer largesse to employ a guy who professes his love for Fidel Castro (and Hugo Chavez, while we're in the neighborhood). Just a thought.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Castro's no angel, but neither is our own government. Had he said it anywhere but in Miami it probably wouldn't have even made the local news.

But then again nobody is swimming/rafting/inner-tubing 90 miles to escape from the tyranny that is the United States.

The problem however is that he did say it in Miami and should have known better or kept his mouth shut.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

When your brand-new sportspalace--and by extension, your team--is heavily subsidized by Miami-Dade County, the Cuban Americans within and represented by the local government are not going to be happy with you for using that taxpayer largesse to employ a guy who professes his love for Fidel Castro (and Hugo Chavez, while we're in the neighborhood). Just a thought.

To be fair, he has spoken out against Chavez.

And he did say "I love Castro" at the beginning of his comments. Now whether it was just drunken banter about a guy avoiding being killed for 60 years, I don't know. But he did say those words, about a cruel dictator, in a community filled with those who escaped his tyranny. Not good.

"I respect Fidel Castro," Guillén is quoted as saying in the online article. "You know why? Many people have tried to kill Fidel Castro in the last 60 years, yet that [sOB] is still there."

Apparently so.

People are bizarre sometimes.

Apparently so.

You're forgetting where he started with saying "I love Castro". Ask the Cuban-Americans in this country what they feel when they hear that.

But then again nobody is swimming/rafting/inner-tubing 90 miles to escape from the tyranny that is the United States.

There's actually quite a few American expatriates who've sought political asylum in Cuba.

Who says they're not feeling in vague, arbitrary figures?

You're forgetting where he started with saying "I love Castro". Ask the Cuban-Americans in this country what they feel when they hear that.

Obviously they had reasons for leaving, but I'm not sure why that makes their views "correct."

The problem however is that he did say it in Miami and should have known better or kept his mouth shut.

Yeah, but they aren't the ones with money who the Marlins hit up. Those guys escaped because they (or their ancestors) backed Fulgencio Batista. Who wasn't exactly a model of decency.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It doesn't matter that Castro isn't Hitler. You'd have to be a complete drunken idiot, which it so happens that Ozzie Guillen is, to go to Miami and say "Fidel Castro was great." It's not as bad as "Hitler had some good ideas" or whatever MargeSchott90 said, but it's still incredibly tone-deaf considering they hired Ozzie Guillen to draw Hispanic fans and he just alienated the largest Hispanic minority in Miami.

While I agree that baseball needs more colorful characters, I don't know that it really needs Ozzie anymore. Ozzie fails to make the distinction between Telling It Like It Is and just rattling off whatever is going through his head at a given moment. One is fun, the other just wears your ass out after a while.

The interesting wild card here is that even though the Marlins really sought him out, they're still run by Jeff Loria, who literally fired Joe Girardi for looking at him the wrong way. He doesn't have his make-believe daddy Reinsdorf to mollycoddle him and gladly suffer his foolishness anymore. I won't be shocked if he can't finish out the year and just goes away forever.

What Ozzie said should not be said while working in two areas: South Florida (Miami-Dade/Broward/West Palm) or in the Tampa area.

That said, remember he is Venezuelan plus Ozzie's religion is Santoria.

In a related story, Robin Ventura hasn't said anything remotely interesting yet.

Fantastic post.

While the Marlins are now on Calle Ocho, they are not marketing themselves as the "Cuban MLB Team", they are marketing themselves as "Latin America's Team" with a local base of primarily Cubans. Signing Reyes and attempts to sign Albert and Cespedes illustrate that.

Now, while South Florida has 30% or more Cuban ancestry, there are many other Hispanic/Latin American groups who are believe they get preferential attention of them as a whole: Colombians, Argentines, Peruvians, Dominicans.

If you really want to hear "positive" reviews about the Cuban exile community in Miami, ask a Haitian*. One whose relatives also braved weeks on a raft, landed on US soil starving and thirsty, and who were promptly rounded up, shackled and deported back to Haiti while a Cuban who washes up on shore is/was given a free health check-up, provisional residency, and a work permit. For 30 years, we accepted a Haitian dictator, but Cuba was connected to USSR. Maybe some fresh clothes and the personal phone number of such luminaries as Ileana Ros-Lehtinen to help out when needed as opposed to being Haitian.

*- Haitian from the Papa Doc/ Baby Doc era from the 1950s to 1980 and afterwards.

In case you forgot, the ballpark is in Little Havana.

Circumstantial. If anyone thinks Ozzie's going to get fired for this, they're out of their minds.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

In case you forgot, the ballpark is in Little Havana.

Circumstantial. If anyone thinks Ozzie's going to get fired for this, they're out of their minds.

I don't think anybody thinks he is getting fired over it.

So then what's the big deal? He apologized to the press. Everybody knows that this is what Ozzie is and what he's going to do, so are people worried that there's going to be a massive never-ending protest or something?

These things go away. They always do.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Apparently so.

Well, we know they obviously stop listening immediately at that point....

So then what's the big deal? He apologized to the press. Everybody knows that this is what Ozzie is and what he's going to do, so are people worried that there's going to be a massive never-ending protest or something?

These things go away. They always do.

You're absolutely right and in a few weeks this will be chalked up to Ozzie being Ozzie.

What I was getting at (and I think McCall was too) was that we understand why people in Cuba would be upset/offended by those comments.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived