University of Houston

whitedawg22

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great update, that cougar head is sleek. I would've like to see a little navy in the UH though, preferably in place of the inside red outline - just to give it a little balance when compared to the cougar.

I wonder why they prefer the new, higher U over the H to this:

QxaX3.png

Same here. Normally, I'm against athletic teams borrowing academic marks, but since in this case, the academic mark is obviously based on an older athletic mark, I think an exception could be made.

Being from the UK we don't really see many college logos so not got much to compare it to but this one looks really good. The post of the cat in the original post don't do it justice but I reckon this will look very nice across lots of different media and uniforms.

Also the interlocking letters fit within each other perfectly and are a massive upgrade.

logo.png

Cant believe it took so long for someone to mention Mercury Cougar...

25335950009_large.jpg

I thought of it, but didn't post when I did my KSU+PSU thing.

Actually, they should have just used this:

whitney_sketch1.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

QxaX3.png

This is definitely my favorite UH logo, minus the beveling.

The cat logo is excellent, but I prefer the monogram for the helmet. The 'super-stylized angry collegiate mascot athletic logo' of today just doesn't seem fitting for the face of the athletic department. It's great for t-shirts, but I want the more timeless look for the team identity. That said, it's still a supreme illustration. Great job by the Bosack Co. (or Fraser or whomever Joe called upon to collaborate).

I love the two color red and white versions.

Also, Brandon is spot on. 'Disaster' is so far from the word to describe this monogram, I don't even know what to say in response, because you clearly have no idea what you're looking at. It's one thing if you don't like the bevels. That's fine. I'm a very minimalist person and I don't like them either from the standpoint of simple personal preference, nor do I like the double outline for the same reason, but you have to be able to see the craftsmanship that makes the new UH monogram worlds better than the old, and that is totally separate from the stylistic execution of it, like the bevels and outlines. The fit of the letters, the even line weights, the execution of the bevels themselves; all very finely crafted. The old one, beside the letterforms being far too close to those of Kentucky, had all sorts of clumsy execution going on, from the positioning of the letters to the too-thin outlines to the strange overlap of those outlines, making them twice as thick in some areas. The only area I don't love on the new one is the triangular space between the two letters. The outlines converge there in a strange way (one of the reasons I use a buyer beware approach to outlines a lot of the time, especially double outlines, and especially with monograms), but I don't know if that can be improved as is without getting in there myself and experimenting, which I'm probably not going to do. Finally, as others have pointed out, the style guide does include one-color, no-bevel versions of all these logos.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Wait so they will have a traditional block font script AND a cheesy throwback snapback font script?

Why?

$. Snapbacks are hot and nostalgia sells.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the inconsistency in the beveling on the top-left part of the "H."

The shading on the top-left part of the H, does not match the shading on the top-right part of the H. It's not symmetric.

At least from initial logos, it looks like they're using a much darker shade of red on the oval cougar logo:

UH_Bevld_RedBkgrnd-600x600.jpg

new_logo_Cougar-600x405.jpg

Archived